Taurus Firearm Forum banner

FOR BIG GUYS...HOW DO YOU CARRY CCW??

5K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  44M 
#1 ·
I`m 6'4" and about 310lbs, my pants are 44 and I`m a fat ass....I used to be size 38 but I don`t think I`ll see those days again..however,, how do you big guys carry your CCW? I can`t use IWB holster because of all the fat around my waiste and I have a problem with OWB holsters because my guns stick, like,2 feet away from me, shoulder holster sounds like something I could use but what If I want to take off my suit?So far ,the best way for me is to get a small gun like Airweight 442 or simular and just stick it in my pocket.How do you deal with this problem? I know that people always seems to think that for us big guys would be much easier to conceal the gun but I think that actually, small frame guys are much better of when it comes to concealing the gun than us big bears...

Db

#2 ·
Well, I'm 6'3" and 285lbs. I carry a PT1911 in an MTAC IWB holster. It's very comfortable and I can even wear a T-shirt and it doesn't print at all in the 3 o'clock pos. In th 4:00 pos there is a little printing. I usually wear jeans and a polo shirt tucked or untucked this is a great holster. Good Luck.

Sam.

#4 ·
I am 6'4" and 285ish. I currently carry a PT92 and I use this kydex IWB holster from Grandfather Oak.
It was inexpensive and has a good warranty. It's not the best, but it was pretty good for my budget at the time. I carry it at about a 45 cant just behind my hip. It still prints when wearing a t-shirt and some polo styles. I pretty much resigned myself to wearing polos that are a size bigger or button up short sleeve that doesn't fit tight like a polo does.

I recently ordered a Crossbreed Supertuck for a 24/7 that's almost mine. I'll try to remember to post results on that holster.

#5 ·
Big Sam said:
Well, I'm 6'3" and 285lbs. I carry a PT1911 in an MTAC IWB holster. It's very comfortable and I can even wear a T-shirt and it doesn't print at all in the 3 o'clock pos. In th 4:00 pos there is a little printing. I usually wear jeans and a polo shirt tucked or untucked this is a great holster. Good Luck.

Sam.
hey Sam, do you have any pic`s? the bigger size T-shirt sounds good but I`m already at XXXXXXXXL..LOL

#9 ·
that holster really does work great for you, geez, when I holster my little SP101 in padle holster it feels like it sticks out 2 feet...but when I said "big" I didn`t mean built like a tank. what I ment was "fat ass" meaning, big belly and more like a piramyde shape not "Arnold" shape...LOL...

Db

ps

but thanks for the pix, it really does work for you great, amazing actually, very cool..

#10 ·
You from Texas Big Sam? Dang, you look like good Texas stock. :thumb:

Heck, lets start another football team.

#11 ·
Got some big dudes on here---could use some of you guys as back up on car stops on I-10. :D I'm actually gonna start a thread to get some demographics on members here. Check the Lounge for it soon. :)

#12 ·
Just lift up that flab and put the firearm in there and let 'er drop. All that weight will hold it firm in most situations. Jes don't run.

I was runnin and my tee shirt pulled out and my belly got to floppin around and it came up and smacked me in the face and my belly button stuck to my forehead and I almost suffocated before I could pry 'er loose.

#13 ·
grouchy hippo said:
Just lift up that flab and put the firearm in there and let 'er drop. All that weight will hold it firm in most situations. Jes don't run.

I was runnin and my tee shirt pulled out and my belly got to floppin around and it came up and smacked me in the face and my belly button stuck to my forehead and I almost suffocated before I could pry 'er loose.
You kill me lol

#15 ·
grouchy hippo said:

run??? I don`t approve torture...
I tried to run one time and ended up on the front page...

Db

#16 ·
I'm 6-2, 270 and built like a muffin top so i know what you mean by not being able to carry in the waistband. I carry in the small of the back inside the pants. It's the only place i can fit one anywhere in my waist area halfway comfortably. I use to carry a pt132 but recently switched to a walther pps due to the slim design. I find it much more comfortable.

#17 ·
I don`t know why people believe that big guys can conceal gun easier, unles they think about guys like Sam, but that is not what I ment, not body bilder shape but a fat ass, I have a problem and it is a serious one, because if I holster the gun on my belt, it sticks out, and IWB I don`t even want to think about, shoulder holster? well, not very practical, but I did (after heavy thinking) figured out few ways doughnut boys can do this, first, ankle holster , second funny pack and third a small gun that is very lite and can fit in the pocket of our big pants without a problem.

1. ankle holster

$20, very good way to conceal a smaller size handgun

2.funny pack

$9 believe it or not, real leather, I just ordered one from Cheaper Than Dirt, another idea to conceal a small medium or bigger handgun.

3.small gun

$300-$800, titanium,scandium etc.. gun you can pick up of the table on your way to the store and drop it in your pants pocket without any problem, if you buy Airlite or Airweight version and in 38.special, you really wont feel nothing, and it will be impossible to see it, but you will still have 5 rounds of powerful .357magnum/.38special bullet in a nice revolver that you can actually shoot, without even taking the gun out of your pocket.If we know that most gun fights happen on 1-3 feet distance, and over after 1-3 shoots fired, then this little guy is more than enough to help you out when you most need it, and most of all,it is so convinient to carry, it will be ,most likely, with you all the time.What is the point of buying a .44 magnum or H&K USP, if you don`t wont to carry it, because they are just huge and cause you a discomfort.

Ok ,well, these are 3 ways I figured out (so far), for me and other fat people to carry comfortably their guns on their person all the time without a problem.If anyone has any more ideas please let us know.

Db

#18 ·
you guys are killing me..... let me know when you get the football team together, I'll play offensive or defensive linemen. Then again, we may end up with a team full of linemen..... :D

#19 ·
A police chief I once worked for was 350+, maybe way, way +. He carried a S&W chiefs special snubby in a belt holster. Totally invisible with jacket on and almost melted into his waist with jacket off. :thumb:

#21 ·
I`ve been using my funny pack for a while now and it works perfectly for me.Gun is very lite and I have 10 extra rounds.It`s always with me, at work, in the store, at the mall, and I never have to worrie about anything.It really works good.This way you can carry your little friend even at the pool, walking around in your swiming shorts.Works for me.

Db

#22 ·
This topic is a hoot and hits home. I believe I found the right group.

At 260 lbs and 5'8 helped by being in a wheelchair the last four months, I have never laughed so hard over a thread in my life. By the way, how do you keep the belt functional, "stay up" without wearing it high enough to put around your neck geezer style or use suspenders.

I have been using a KT 3AT loaded with DPX in a pocket holster. Now that I have a 45 cal 745, I face the same problem, a little heavy for pocket carry other than perhaps in a jacket pocket. Same is true for the fanny pack, keeping it in place is a challange.

Regards,

Whitebeard

#23 ·

small, S&W 642, .38 special fits great in this funny pack...

5 rounds in the gun + 10 on the side...

15 rounds of .38 special HP Remmington Golden Sabre, planty of fire power...

no way anyone can guess there is a handgun on me, I can even go to the beach armed...

...funny pack works great for me, it has concealed gun area and I can carry all of my other junk in there too, like house key`s, wallet,sun glasses etc...

Db

ps

well, now, with my 9 months old and to conceal her favorite toy may be a little problem :)

ready for EasterEgg hunt....rabbit, rabbit, were are you ???...

#25 ·
NYPD, I've got a question for you....how do most cops feel about armed citizens? I've gotten impressions both ways on this.....some LEO's think an armed populace works well, but I have talked to some and heard of more that don't like the idea of people being armed. Just curious.

By the way, would a fanny pack like the one shown get your attention, and would you, in your role of an LEO, press the issue?

Thanks !!

#26 ·
I've stated this before---I REALLY like the idea of armed citizens. If I'm getting my ass handed to me by a group of BG's I would hope that someone would come to my aid. I also believe that most people can't wait 2-5 minutes for an officer to arrive when help is needed so that person should be able to diffuse the situation on their own if possible.

What I also feel strongly on is the armed civilian should not just get their CCW and end their training there. That is useless. You have a firearm---know how to use it in a situation and know how to keep that bad guy from getting a hold of your gun if a struggle ensues.

ONCE YOU"RE ARMED, TRAINING NEVER ENDS.

And no, I wouldn't hassle someone with a fanny pack on if they gave me no reason to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.