Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my PT111 back from Taurus today with the recoil spring mod.

I noticed that some of you had similar issues in 2007. Is the modification holding up well?

The only issue I found was that it was harder to get the spring back in because you had to make sure the washer was centered.

I bought the PT111 as a concealed carry piece and never had an issue until it pooped the spring out of the front, but I'm a little hesitant to truely depend on it now.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has a few hundred round through theirs after they had the mod.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Put around 600 rounds through my PT111 Pro since I had the new spring assembly insatlled at Taurur. Not one problem since. Really accurate weapon as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
foodawg said:
The only issue I found was that it was harder to get the spring back in because you had to make sure the washer was centered.

I bought the PT111 as a concealed carry piece and never had an issue until it pooped the spring out of the front,
Did your PT111 actually "poop" the spring out, or did it "pop" the spring out? LOL!!

I have a new (2008?) PT111, and noticed a simular problem replacing the spring/guide assy. I had to have it lined up just right before it would go back in. It wasn't like this during initial teardown and cleaning when I bought it. It was only after firing the first 150 rounds that I had a problem with re-assembly after cleaning it. The gun is new, and hence hasn't had any mods.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Texas Solo said:
Did your PT111 actually "poop" the spring out, or did it "pop" the spring out? LOL!!

I have a new (2008?) PT111, and noticed a simular problem replacing the spring/guide assy. I had to have it lined up just right before it would go back in. It wasn't like this during initial teardown and cleaning when I bought it. It was only after firing the first 150 rounds that I had a problem with re-assembly after cleaning it. The gun is new, and hence hasn't had any mods.
At the time...I'm pretty sure my state of mind was more on the "pooped" side. I was not a happy camper. :mad:

I bought mine this year as well. You'd think they would just ship them with the mod and do a recall on the ones out there. I had three friends ready to buy one when it "pooped". One of them was actually firing it at the time. It turned him off from Taurus for ever. :fart:

·
Registered
14 Posts
This actually concerns me, because I bought my PT111 strictly for carry. I was aware of the PT145 spring/rod problems, but was under the impression that the PT111 was OK. I'd assume install the new piece now and avoid the possible problem, but I guess Taurus won't give me one until mine craps out ???

"It turned him off from Taurus for ever"

I can understand that. This is my first Taurus, and if I experience a problem like this, it will be the last. I've never had my Glock 19 or Kimber 1911 fail on me, but I wanted something smaller, lighter, and with a thumb safety.

I hate to have to spend the $$$ on a Sig, or other high dollar weapon, but what good is a less expensive gun if it has the potential to fail?

I'm calling Taurus in the AM, looking to simply BUY a modified spring assy. How they treat me will also have a lot to do with my future relationship with Taurus.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My two Mil Pros have not had this problem. I examined my pistols with an impromptu check and decided that the chance of it happening is pretty much zero. However, I called Taurus and ordered replacement spares just to be on the safe side. The parts are very inexpensive but may or may not be in stock. Here is a link to my recoil spring check:
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=6328.0

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Texas Solo said:
I hate to have to spend the $$$ on a Sig, or other high dollar weapon, but what good is a less expensive gun if it has the potential to fail?
Anything made by man has potential to fail. Expensive guns have their problems too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I squished the popping out spring out of round and that fixed the problem till I decided to look at the newer washer fix closer. After taking the spring assembly apart by unscrewing the small headed metal end from the large plastic rod I turned a washer on the lathe with an OD of .528 and an ID of .412 . Made it about .038 thick . Easy fix and now I feel the problem is fixed for good, Rob

·
Registered
29,842 Posts
QUOTE: "Anything made by man has potential to fail. Expensive guns have their problems too."

Truth said...

If it were not so, then there would be no "Rolex" nor "Rolls Royce" repair centers. ;)

MOONDAWG

·
Registered
417 Posts
+100 on the things made by man will fail! I would be out of a job if man made stuff was perfect! As such I don't get too fired up when a firearm fails to work correctly... usually it can be fixed fairly easily and as long as it isn't a failure that points to an underlying design flaw or major construction issue I don't worry about it! I just fix it and move on...

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
When My recoil spring started coming out the front of the slide on My PT111 Pro, I only returned the guide rod assembly and They sent a new one with the mod.
I didn't have to go through the expense of shipping the gun.
I have around 200 rounds since replacement, but the washer is only made of plastic so I'm not sure how long the modded piece will last.
It took about 1200 rounds through the gun initially before the problem first occurred so I'm hoping that it will take longer than that for the washer to deteriorate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts