Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all, I just bought my firtst fobus holster today. when i bought it i told the man i was buying from, i have a .45 24/7 pro and he handed me the holster. thinking nothing of it when i get home i notic the thing is a bitch to put the pistol in and draw. it does say in the manual that you have to draw quick to get the pistol out this is a safety mech. so others can get your gun. but the holster holds the pistol so tight the holster almost comes out of my pants with the gun still in it. also the paddle scrathes me because it takes so much force to get the gun out. well my Q is does anyone here have a fobus holster for a .45 24/7 and if so did this happen to you when it was new and if at all poss. can you give me the number on the bag for the holster (holster number) mine is RU97 and it is for a ruger p90/p93/p94/p95/p97 and Taurus 247 .40 but there website said :mad: that it fits all 24/7's

THANKS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ive got a 24/7 .40 and i dont like the Fobus either, it holds the gun so tight, half the time I take the whole holster with it when i draw.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm new to the fobus but love mine. I was having trouble with it till i read the directions. The pull needs to be one quick smooth motion at the proper angle. You know this because you said you read the directions. I put a drop of gun oil on my finger and rubbed the contact point on the holster in front of the trigger and that smoothed the pull out. Putting it back in is still stiff, but pulling it just requires practice. They also say you can grab the plastic and spread it apart where it holds the trigger gaurd to loosen it up a bit. Give it some time and practice pulls and if you still hate it... send it to me :) Especialy if its the roto, i want to try one of those.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
It has also been said a little silcon spray wiped in that area helps too. You know some of those have a slight adjustment at the trigger restraint. You Looked at that I hope!!

·
Registered
878 Posts
You can also give a push with your thumb against the holster when drawing. You need to draw straight up. It will loosen over time.

·
Administrator
18,081 Posts
I have a Fobus RU97 for my 9mm 24/7 and really don't like it! I have other Fobus Holsters for other guns and they are great, but not the RU97 for my 24/7! I have another Fobus RU97, expressly for my older .45 Witness, and love it for that.

Have modified the Trigger Guard area and thinking about putting my 24/7 into a plastic bag, then putting it into the RU97, and hitting it with a Hair Dryer, to see if it will fit any better.

I have a Tagua Thumbreak that fits my 9mm 24/7 very nicely. It was originally designed for the H&K USP 9. I'm still looking for something else.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Has anyone ever tried the Fobus sp11b for the 24/7? It fits the XD9 and the milpro with room to spare.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I have the roto ru97 for my 24/7 .40. I don't mind that it comes out hard. My complaint is that it puts the gun too far away from my body and I feel I can only use it for open carry.

·
Registered
94 Posts
First, if it has adjustable tension, back out the screw a few turns. Factory setting is tight.

Second, when drawing, do not draw directly up. The force should be directed toward the target and upwards.

This is for a SP11B used with a 24/7 C, but should be the same for the other regular Fobus holsters.

Also, be sure to use a sturdy belt to anchor the holster in place.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hey taxasmaan If you want to get rid of it let me know.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well i got good news i sprayed the inside with some LPS 2 lube (thanks Robby & Arkon) and i also took a Q-tip and put it between the 2 halfs by the trigger area and pushed down to seperated them then hit it with a hair dryer (jwc007) and bam the holster fits great now and is a lot easier to draw but still stiff enough for me also a side note a noticed that my slide had a small scratch on it on the right side and i noticed inside the holster lettering that said RU97 right were it could scratch the pistol so i too a soft tip dremel and took care of that well no more scratching now .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well I went a got a bulldog holster today. I just wanted a decent nylon thumb break holster, and it works well. The other problem I had with the fobus is that I have a long slide, so it poked out from the holster about an inch. The new one fully encloses it.

So if anyone wants my fobus paddle, PM me with a decent offer.

·
Administrator
18,081 Posts
Bulldog? Never heard of them. Where did you get it?

I also have a black Nylon Pancake Holster with an optional thumb-break I bought off ebay. Interior's a bit rough, but it would work for limited use. No brand on it.

I also have a vertical Bagmaster Nylon Holster with a built-on Magazine pouch. It originally was for my S&W 4506 (traded off). Interior's only slightly less rough on that one.

Still looking for something else.

Fussy critter, aren't I?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got it from my local gun shop. It fits my LS very well, the thumb-break is fully adjustable, it is reversible for right or left hand draw, it has a clip that can be removed if you want to run your belt through the holster (much sturdier that way) and very soft on the inside. Magazine pouch on the front with a retaining strap. Im very happy with it!

A quick google didnt pull up a website for bulldog though..... Im using a size 8 for my long slide.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've asked a lot about this holster and so far its like fifty fifty. Some peolple like them, but it seems as though just as many dont like it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The problem i had with my fobus holster is that it left scratches towards the end of the slide by the barrel. has anyone else had the problem with scratches like this? were you able to fix it?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
taurus4life said:
The problem i had with my fobus holster is that it left scratches towards the end of the slide by the barrel. has anyone else had the problem with scratches like this? were you able to fix it?
My first holster when I started carrying again was a Fobus. I must say I am not a big fan of them. I had the scratch problem and tryed everthing possible to get rid of it. Finally wound up cleaning the holster daily and that seemed to solve the problem. It seems to be caused by everyday grit getting into the holster and lodgeing at the bottom end. I totally solved the problem by giving it to a not so good friend. I replaced it with an Uncle Mikes paddle holster. Not further problems with scratching. (I had the slide refinished on my weapon to the tune of about $100) The other problem I had withe the Fobus was I couldn't get it to stay tight. The pivot just kept loosening up an wound up like a half turn yo-yo. I will admit that the holster was light and close (more so than the Uncle Mikes). A buddy has a custom made leather paddle holster from some where out west. If I every come up with a spare $200, (yeah, right) I might look into it.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
jwc007 said:
I have a Fobus RU97 for my 9mm 24/7 and really don't like it! I have other Fobus Holsters for other guns and they are great, but not the RU97 for my 24/7! I have another Fobus RU97, expressly for my older .45 Witness, and love it for that.
I have a Fobus SB11 for my PT111, but the other day I picked up my 24/7 Pro 40 and low and behold it fit like a charm in that holster...sticks out the bottom just a bit, but it fits great. Same was true with the my 24/7 Pro 45.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I've had Fobus for several guns. Most have been great. ONE was sooo tight it was a problem - it was the one for the Taurus .38 snub nose. I had to do quite a bit of makeshift adjustments before it worked ok.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts