Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was pretty much decided on the sp11b for my pt145 until I came across a video showing how the loaded chamber indicator gets caught in it so bad that it actually cuts into the holster. Anybody here have experience with this holster? I don't see the point in carrying if I can't keep one in the chamber.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
I have carried a PT111, and a 24/7 in that holster. The chamber indicator has not done any damage to mine, but if it did, it would be very minor nick at the top edge, and not affect the operation.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I had one and hated it, pistol popped out onto the floor in a crowded restaurant one morning! Talk about embarrassing, got real good service that day though. Anyway I gave the holster away and went to using high quality leather thumb break holsters and have never had another such incident.

Reactions: Notrace34

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Mine for PT140MilPro has a mark from the loaded chamber indicator, but I would hardly call it "getting caught", rather holster adapting with no damage to pistol. There is the ability to adjust the retention screw depending on how tight you want the SP11B to hold, but even run down quite tight doesn't affect holstering or drawing with loaded weapon. My compalint with the OWB SP11B paddle is it's a little bulky for good CC, but works great on range or outback.

Reactions: Notrace34

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. Just the info I was looking for. I'm not worried about damaging the holster... Just getting snagged on it. For the money I may just get one for around the homestead. After gbusmechs story I think I'll save up for a thumb break to carry in public. Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I just tightened the retention screw a little and haven't had an issue in over 3 years

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
My PT145 Mil Pro has been in a Fobus SP11B for about 18 months with no damage to either.

I have the adjustment screw snugged, and it will NOT fall out if held upside down and shaken.
I know, because I just tried it and it is STABLE in that holster.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Is that Fobus an on the belt type leather or Kydex? I am unable to look it up at work. I was looking for a good paddle type positive retention holster and was referred to Bladetech in Puyallup, WA. The holster has a definite postive grab on my PT145 and I do not recall even doubting the fit for a minute. It was the Classic model. Fairly priced as well. If you are not looking for that style in specifics, they do have many other styles out there on their website.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
It is a paddle style

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
SP11B Fobus

State of the art design, injection molding and space age high-density plastics are combined to create a holster which cannot be duplicated in leather or any other material. Fobus holsters are high riding, and low profile with unbelievable retention, comfort and lightweight construction. Lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
828 Posts
That holster fits many other pistols. It fits my Sig 2022, Taurus 1911 that has a rail, and PT145 . It is nice not having to buy three holsters...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just scored a slightly used Fobus om Ebay for$20.00 including the shipping. Ill wear it around the homestead for a while and see how it goes.Figured I couldn't lose for $20.00. Still going to get a Tagua thumb break. That's a really nice looking holster and I like the idea of active retention.Building a motorcycle and I don't know if I would trust the Fobus on a ride. Waiting for my CC permit so Ill use the time to work out the bugs and get used to concealing. Thanks to everyone for the input and advice!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok... The Fobus arrived today. The PT 145 fits nicely and with a turn on the tension screw it locks into place snugly.
I'm pretty happy so far with its overall feel and it conceals nicely. Bare in mind that I wear loose fitting tshirts as a norm.
Still wouldn't trust it on a motorcycle ride. Definitely going for a thumb break for that purpose.

·
Registered
82 Posts
So far my pt145 and pt111 milpro fit nicely and secure in the fobus sp11b with no damage to either. An audible click is heard when holstering , and easy draw. Also very comfortable

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've owned a SP11... more of less since this variant with the adjustable screw came out. Carried multiple guns in it, my Sigma, my SIG Pro, and both Tauruss... taurus's... taurii.. both of my current weapons.

I've NEVER had an issue with it.

If your weapon falls out of a Fobus, its user error. Period.

BTW, if you're set on a thumb break, they do sell a thumb break version of the SP11.
Its the SP11T... Be advised, its a LONGER holster then the SP11B. Will cover more of your muzzle.

I've put my 24/7 in a SP11T and it fit and retained correctly. Your PT145 will be about half an inch too short, but its not like thats visible.

As per your original question, you wont snag, but if it concerns you, then holster the weapon, determine if the indicator rubs, and mark where it does, then take a butter knife, heat it up with a lighter, and run it back and forth on the holster a bit to make a little groove. Problem solved.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts