Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of Fobus holster wearing out? I was at the LGS and they claim the Fobus holsters wear out, but of course all they carry in stock are Blackhawk and Uncle Mikes. I like the Fobus due to no buttons or anything like that to deal with BUT I dont want to end up buying a new holster every year so if it is a problem I found a Itac/Taurus that Ill go that way instead.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
at 20 dollars a holster who cares if you have to buy a new one every year?

But seriously, I have a fobus BRV that I used overseas for my m9 and when I got home it sees range time with my pt92. Is it the best, probably not, but for the money it is a pretty useful holster for me! I'd buy another one if mine ever did break.

·
Registered
29,861 Posts
I own a number of Fobus holsters for S&W's, Glocks, 1911's, Bersa's & Taurus.

Some of which have been used for over 15 years without any problems or signs of wear.

But at abut $20 a copy that's not problem if replacing is an issue...;)

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
My Son carried his M9 for 15 months in and out of helicopters, and all around when not flying, and only used one holster, which he took back for his 2nd tour, still functional.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats what I was thinking but what I really like is theres no buttons to fumble with. Ill be using it for comps so it will get considerable use. Im thinking they just wanted to sell me what they carried which is where the story came from about Fobus holsters wearing out.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I have several Fobus holsters, and they have held up very well.

The only warning is that the genuine Fobus holsters and accessories are all made in Israel and are excellent quality and durable.

There are some COUNTERFEIT knock-offs made in China.

Details on how to tell if you are getting a GENUINE Fobus:

FOBUS COUNTERFEIT ALERT

From the Fobus website:

Attention - Counterfeit Alert

Fobus Holsters has become aware of several counterfeit offerings of the Fobus Holster and magazine pouch. These counterfeit products are produced in China, and distributed throughout the US, and manufactured to look exactly like a Standard GL2 Fobus Holster. The appearance between the genuine Fobus Holster products and the counterfeits is nearly unapparent, including replications of registered trademarks and patent numbers.

These counterfeit items are NOT suitable for use with actual firearms!

To assist in identifying a counterfeit product, you should look for the following:
  • Does it say MADE IN ISRAEL? If not then it is a counterfeit holster and should not be used. ALL FOBUS HOLSTERS ARE MADE IN ISRAEL.
  • Non-close fitting. The counterfeit holsters protrude from the body and do not sit close to the hip as an authentic Fobus Holsters does.
  • A polymer spacer placed between the front and back portions of the holster. This removes all tension.
  • The metal rivet reinforcement strip lacking "FOBUS".
  • RH will be stamped before the item number. Fobus does not do this.
Fobus Holster trademarks, patents, and many of the product designs are protected by registration. Fobus Holster is dedicated to protecting the company, products and customers safety and will use all available and appropriate legal means, against any other persons found to be dealing in counterfeits of our goods.

DO NOT USE counterfeit Fobus Holsters, injury or death could arise due to inferior construction and materials.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Well I had all of mine from Fobus themselves. Have not bought any from any where else. So I guess mine are good to go, and still working after 3 years plus.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered direct from them considering they are only 2.5 hours from me and I just seen on their site they have a no question asked warranty, so I guess that might be the perfect addition for my no questions asked warranty gun. lol

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
They may be talking about retention.
I have 2 Fobus holsters, the first is for a Ruger GP 100 and is a Roto Paddle, the second is for a CZ SP-01 Shadow and is a std paddle. They both use the trigger guard for retention. The Ruger holster I have had about 8 years and still holds the gun securely but I do not use it much. The one for the CZ has seen lots of use in the last 9 months and after a couple months it quit retaining the pistol very well. I drilled a hole and added a nut and screw to help it hold better but now the plastic that goes into the trigger guard has pretty much worn away and will not hold the gun. Fine if I never bend over.

I prefer more than just passive retention for most carry but do think it is quicker for competition, unfortunately most companies do not make holster for this gun yet. I have sent it back to Fobus and assume they will replace but would really like a blade tech holster but they of course don't make one.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The one I ordered (After talking to Fobus) is actually for a HK (part #HK2) but will fit my OSS perfectly.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
The one for my 945 works fine, and it's not even made for the gun. The Uncle Mike's i have for my P64 shows more wear than the Fobus, and it's not like it's all beat up either. Sounds like the LGS ran victim to the knock offs and broke one once with no warranty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts