Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
8,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been interested in the Beast ( no - not that beast ) for a few years now, otherwise known as the FNX-45. It holds 15 rounds of 45 in the magazine, for those of us who can't think of carrying just 8 rounds in our SD pistols. That's right I ain't compensating for my other failings, yep, that's the story I am sticking to. FN as you know has been making excellent firearms since 1889, they also supply military's around the world. So most folks agree that a FN firearm is usually top notch. This poly slider is no exception.
P1030175bb.jpg
The FNX is in the middle, comparing the size to a Glock19 and a Colt 1911, not much to say except it is a beast. But...The ergo's are very good, recoil is well managed - less recoil than a 1911.
P1030179bb.jpg
The unloaded weight with an empty magazine is 32.4 oz's, with 15 rounds of 230grn ball ammo it weighs in at 43.7 oz's. So you might think this pistol is just too big and too heavy to carry. But somehow FN sprinkled some magic Browning pixie dust on this platform and it just doesn't seem to big or heavy, even IWB,,I know it sounds crazy but it works. Although I think I would carry it in a shoulder rig or a form fitting OWB kydex holster, with a coat or sweater.
P1030180bb.jpg
So lets discuss just how big it is. The overall length is 7 5/8", it is 6 1/4" tall, and 1 1/2" wide at the ambi safeties. This is a DA/SA hammer fired pistol with a decocker. Now for the cool part. The DA trigger pull is 1/2" long, very smooth until you hit the wall, than a crisp and audible 9lb break. The SA trigger pull is amazing; with 3/16" travel and breaking at 4lbs. The SA pull is so light I found myself doing a few unintentional double taps. I don't see that as a problem but some would. The trigger feels similar to my Walther PK380 that I had Walther do a trigger job on. Same feeling at the wall, and similar feel at the break.
P1030174bb.jpg
The internals are all FN , beefed up ,and all parts are steel. No machining marks anywhere, just a squared away design and implementation. So now lets talk about the main concern I have seen from other reviewers. The mag well flexes, making some worry about the longevity of the frame. Here is my perspective, I like the flex at the magwell, it absorbs recoil and allows you to form the grip to your hand. Also less likely to break or chip if dropped. The ambi safety/decocker is very easy to engage and disengage. The ambi extended magazine release is easy to push from either side without breaking your grip. The ambi slide lock/release is also easy to use from either side.
P1030178bb.jpg
The 3 dot sight system is very well implemented, the front dot is large and very bright white. Sights are steel and low drag. There is no hammer bite from the skeletonized hammer. The trigger is wide and smooth, the trigger guard is ample and ready for gloves if you need them. The grip texturing is aggressive allowing for a good hold, however once I figure out which of the backstraps work best for me, I will install traction grips. So how does the Beast shoot you ask. Like a dream, very accurate. I would guess it matches my Competition Colt 1911 at the three distances I show on this target. I had a friend over this afternoon to help me replace the railroad ties on the short distance target wall. He also shot this pistol very well, matching my accuracy. Today we ran 150 rounds of mixed 230grn brass ball, Hornady 185grn XTP HP, and Remington 230grn Golden Sabers, there were no malfunctions. My plan is to begin using this as part of my cool weather carry inventory. With a full pistol 15+1, and two full 15 round spare magazines there are 46 rounds of 45acp hanging off your good quality gun belt. Don't try it with a cheap belt or things will flop around. This is an impressive pistol that was lightly used when I paid $550 OTD at one of my favorite LGS's. Thanks for taking the time to read another one of my reviews, and get out there and send that lead down range.

·
Administrator
35,560 Posts
How can you go wrong with 15 rounds of 45acp? :D I am encouraged though, because my spare mag for my Springfield XD Mod2 holds 13 rounds, and it's a subcompact. I think I can live with that......that is a great range report, as usual, very nice gun !

BTW - If I remember correctly, the Glock 21 only holds 13 rounds in it's mag. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
My 845 holds 12+1; never thought of that as being inadequate in virtually any scenario. If I REALLY start stressing over capacity, I break out the RIA HC in 10mm (16+1), the 92FS with +2 mags (20+1), or the PMR-30 (30+1). ;)

I've always liked that FN, though; if I wasn't already happy with my 845 and had money to burn, that's the pistol I'd get... the 2 are very similar in setup and controls, though the 845 obviously isn't in the same quality class. Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
Depends on which one!
from 6 Plus 1 up to 14 plus one on my Boat Anchor 45acp.
If memory serves a light weight all steel model that weighs in loaded at about 53-54 ounces or so.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,180 Posts
Heretic. If God and his prophet, JMB, had wanted you to have more than 8 rounds, they wouldn't have created the 1911.
Later he reconsidered and helped create the 9mm Browning Hi-Power with a 13 round double column magazine and many of it's design features can be seen in many other handguns, the world over.

Your friendly local neighborhood heretic. ;)

silverstring - Congratulations on your new FNX-45 and may it serve you well! :smile:
One of my distant relatives has one as his only handgun and likes it quite alot.
I've fired it and while it worked okay for me, the grip just did not do it for me.
It is a very nicely made pistol, though.

My preference is for my SAR K2-45, which holds 14 rounds in it's Magazine, + 1 in the chamber.
A heavy all Steel handgun with quite a bit of girth to it's grip, I have NEVER considered carrying it concealed.
Makes for a great open carry or bedside pistol, but I could never conceal it unless I was wearing a really big heavy coat.

The largest .45 ACP Pistols I have carried concealed have been my all steel full sized .45 EAA Witnesses.
With a magazine capacity of only 10 rounds and with two full spare magazines on my belt, I don't feel at all disadvantaged.

EAA_45s_small.jpg
From Left to Right
EAA Witness .45 (1992)
EAA Witness .45 (2004)
SAR K2-45 (2013)

Now, all that said, I also feel very comfortable carrying a high capacity 9mm handgun, which will do it's job, provided I do mine, in properly placing my shots, should the need arise.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Sounds like one heck of a service pistol. My old S&W 4586 weighs in at nearly 38.4 ozs, empty and only holds 8+1 max. With the wonders of modern plastics, I wonder what will replace it?
P1060712.JPG

One item in the old 4586's favor... there will never be any unintentional double taps.

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
That was a weapon for Europeans and not for the good people of America. :p

Later he reconsidered and helped create the 9mm Browning Hi-Power with a 13 round double column magazine and many of it's design features can be seen in many other handguns, the world over.

Your friendly local neighborhood heretic. ;)

silverstring - Congratulations on your new FNX-45 and may it serve you well! :smile:
One of my distant relatives has one as his only handgun and likes it quite alot.
I've fired it and while it worked okay for me, the grip just did not do it for me.
It is a very nicely made pistol, though.

My preference is for my SAR K2-45, which holds 14 rounds in it's Magazine, + 1 in the chamber.
A heavy all Steel handgun with quite a bit of girth to it's grip, I have NEVER considered carrying it concealed.
Makes for a great open carry or bedside pistol, but I could never conceal it unless I was wearing a really big heavy coat.

The largest .45 ACP Pistols I have carried concealed have been my all steel full sized .45 EAA Witnesses.
With a magazine capacity of only 10 rounds and with two full spare magazines on my belt, I don't feel at all disadvantaged.

View attachment 421705
From Left to Right
EAA Witness .45 (1992)
EAA Witness .45 (2004)
SAR K2-45 (2013)

Now, all that said, I also feel very comfortable carrying a high capacity 9mm handgun, which will do it's job, provided I do mine, in properly placing my shots, should the need arise.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
The FN pistols are outstanding! The grip ergonomics are well thought out and so each pistol feels like a glove in the hand for most people. I have a striker fired version in the FNS-40, and it was a tack driver, until I ran 5000+ rounds down the barrel (actually, I lost count around 4500 rounds, so it could be a lot more! :D). Now the groups are opening up and it looks like it is time for a new barrel.

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
I like the FN alot. But I have trouble buying one. With 13+1 My XD45 fits the bill very well. That said... at the right price in the right situation... I could very easily buy an FN too. :D

That said, today I'm carrying an ATI M1911 - 8+1 and don't feel under capacitied at all.

·
Registered
994 Posts
My "new to me" Springfield XD Mod.2 45 came with two 13 round mags and one 9round mag. And, I've ordered a second 9 round mag.

The Pistol is more comfortable carrying with the 9 round mag installed. However, the 13 round one can be carries as well. I just has more of a tendency to print under my shirt.

I guess it would be possible to carry with the 9 round mag and have the two 13's as back ups. That would be 35 rounds. If that won't get the job done, shame on me.

·
Super Moderator
35,349 Posts
Well, I just recently upgraded from 8 max (7+1) to 11 (PT145) and I understand I can get a 14 round Mec Gar mag (have it bookmarked) for a Para Ordinance that'll fit (I think) the PT145. Post says it fits the 24/7 and I have a 24/7 mag that fits my PT145. I'm not so worried about capacity as I am function, though. The Mec Gars are supposed to eliminate the nose diving of the standard mags with some hollow points, IOW more reliable feeding. They'll no doubt extend below the end of the grip as the 24/7 mags do, though.

That said, the gun is 100 percent reliable with Hornady CD FTX ammo and that's what I have in it. :D Actually, it feeds about anything else, but XTP bullets, at least that I've tried.

Now, I often carry a revolver that carries just five on tap. I carried it today. I ain't skirt. I don't need a bazillion rounds in the gun. Do you realize just how HEAVY all those .45s get after a half day of toting it around? :rofl: Yeah, my gun is light, but the ammo seems to weight more'n the gun.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Glock 21 13+1
Glock 30S 9+1 ,10+1 or 13+1
Glock 36 6+1
Glock 38 8+1 ,10+1 (45Gap)
Tell me how you like the Glock 30S? No one has one for rent around here and I'd sure like to shoot one.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
You can't go wrong with a FN. I have the FNX 9mm, and FNS 9C.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts