Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my pistol for about 6 months now, and put nearly 3200 rounds though it. I've only had 2 FTF, one of which did fire on the second trigger pull. No FTE at all.
PT 24/7 Pro in .40
I don't know what generation it is (if there are different generations) but from all the pictures I've found on the internet, the word "Pro" is written in italics type font, and mine is just plain, same font as the words "PT 24/7"

After any shooting, whether it's just a couple magazines in the back yard, or 300-500 at the range, I field strip and clean as much as I can with an old toothbrush and q-tips. No solvents, then re-oil where I assumed it needed oil. I usually clean the magazines every 3rd range visit or so.

One thing that I was dis-appointed with is that there is no instructions in the manual as to WHERE exactly to oil. I know not to oil the firing pin, but honestly don't know where else to oil. I usually put a drop or so where the paint is coming off from friction on the bottom portion of the gun.

Now as I've said, I have never sprayed any solvents on the gun. Honestly didn't know you could do that. I've thought about brake cleaner a few times, but didn't know what plastic parts may be in there, and if they could be harmed.

After looking at the springs on the action, they are looking pretty grimey.

Now let me be very specific. I have NO experience with dis-assembling pistols beyond a basic field strip.

How hard is it to further dis-assemble the gun, and is it necessary. I've though about taking it to a gunsmith and making sure it gets a good once over. There is some wear on the polymer half of the gun that concerns me near the back. I'll get some pics when I can.

I've had no problems with the gun so far, but I want to keep it that way. I'm a very "handy" person, right brained, and can figure out alot of things myself, but I'm lost when I don't see a single screw/bolt/nut/clip/retainer on the action. I have no clue how to further strip the gun down.

I read a thread about the millennium, and seeing as how the 24/7 and mil are very similar, I would think that it is virtually the same.

What's the best advice for a "FNG" ? "Leave it be" (my dad always told me if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it" well.... that's good and all, but I believe in PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE. This is why he always got shafted at the auto shop, and I never have to take mine to the shop :)

Thanks for any help!

-Jonathan

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is what most pics on the internet look like...

Here is what mine looks like (took me a while to find a pic of mine like this one)...

The only difference really is the word "Pro"

Is this a different "generation" with other changes? Or did they just change the looks through production.

Going back to the wear on the back I was talking about. It has had some good amount of wear since I bought it at day 1. I don't know how many rounds Taurus test fires it with, but I'm starting to question whether or not the gun I bought was really new or not.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I used brake cleaner on my stainless 24/7 pro 45 yesterday. Didn't melt anything but it sure gets the gunk out. I mainly put a small drop of oil in places that have movement after that. Mark

·
Registered
57 Posts
poor red neck;

My 24/7 PRO 45 has the PRO in block lettering like yours. My serial number starts with NZK. The Z (I think) means it was made in 2006.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, mine is SAM 9XXXX (.40 S&W Stainless)

Any suggestions with further dis-assembly or just use some brake cleaner?

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you have the rubberized grip on your 40 I would test a little area of the grip with the brake cleaner befor you go blasting away. I just say that because the 45's don't have the rubber grip and you wouldn't want to melt the rubber. Mark

·
Registered
846 Posts
Birchwood casey makes a good spray won't hurt the poly or the rubber, made for synthetic guns, cleans great and takes very little.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I was advised NOT to dis-assemble the trigger assembly on the polymer frame.

I did however take out the firing pin and springs.

Unfortunately I lost the firing pin return spring. That sucker is TINY. Let's hope taurus gets it out to me ASAP. This is my primary carry weapon. Stupid mistake on my part. That'll teach me to work on my gun on carpet!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts