Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter #1
I knew incandescent bulbs were on the way out, but just learned a little while ago, so are the four foot flourescents. I have fixtures in use in the house, storage building, and the barn. The retro bulbs won't work unless the ballasts are replaced, so when I run out of my current tubes, something is gonna have to change. I wondered why they were scarce around here. It's for energy efficiency they say. So what if I don't give a squirt about energy efficiency? Ought to be my choice. Just another reason to be steamed at the government I suppose. :angry:

Registered
:dry: It's like our government wants to be North Korea when it grows up.

Reactions: rollin thunder

Registered
Things really started to go downhill back when the government invaded our bathrooms and started telling us what kind of toilet we had to have. We should flush congress along with the other waste.

Banned
What would it be like today, if we had never made changes from the first light bulbs invented? Or, made advancements in energy production and consumption? Food for thought.

It is very easy to change out the ballast, but I would just replace the fixture if it was close to being the same cost. .....I don't agree with governments involvement, I think it should be left up to the industry. They can make the advancements and phase out the old by not making it any more, which of course will force the consumer to replace old products when they breakdown.

Registered
I can't say for any flourescent lighting made in the past ten or fifteen years, but I remember it was cheaper to buy a new complete light including ballast than it was just to change out a bad ballast.

The last 3
flourescent lights I bought are either don't use ballasts or they are a non replaceble kind and you just toss the fixture when it goes bad.

Reactions: kschilk

Premium Member
What would it be like today, if we had never made changes from the first light bulbs invented? Or, made advancements in energy production and consumption? Food for thought.

It is very easy to change out the ballast, but I would just replace the fixture if it was close to being the same cost. .....I don't agree with governments involvement, I think it should be left up to the industry. They can make the advancements and phase out the old by not making it any more, which of course will force the consumer to replace old products when they breakdown.
IMO, It's an unneeded financial hit if all the fixtures and ballasts are in good working order and all you need are new lamps. If a fixture has to be replaced due to a failed ballast or other repair consideration, that's the time for the upgrade in fixture and lamps.

Registered
Speaking of lighting, are the swirly bulbs allergic to cold?

My porch light went out last week and I put a brand new swirly bulb ( 13 W that is supposed to be the same as the 60W I took out) and it lasted 1 whole day before blowing out.

Light is covered on all sides and top and the glass cover extends 3" below the bulb.

Incandescent last about 3 1/2 years, but swirly bulb lasted less than 24 hours.

Reactions: john_bud and Dan51

Banned

My porch light went out last week and I put a brand new swirly bulb ( 13 W that is supposed to be the same as the 60W I took out) and it lasted 1 whole day before blowing out.

Light is covered on all sides and top and the glass cover extends 3" below the bulb.

That is a very interesting question and observation. I would like to know the answer to this one too.

Not being an engineer of any kind, I don't know it the gas that is used in these lights can freeze or not, which if it did, I think it would be like a dead short maybe. ....If you find out the answer, let us know.

Registered
The best part is, you gotta' hang three or four of the new ones just to get almost as much light as you got from one the old ones.

Reactions: Dan51

Premium Member

You got a bad lamp. While the spiral fluorescents start at low brightness when cold, they do warm up to full bright in a minute or three.

I replaced my outdoor incandescent flood lamps with flourescents and they have outlasted the traditional flood lamps by years.

Registered
Guess I should find some bulbs for stock, I've got two for only lighting in my main room.
And 1 for major lighting in kitchen.

Registered
T-12's, the 1 1/2" bulbs, have been phased out for a couple years now. You are seeing the last of the inventory in the stores. T-8's (1") and T-5's (5/8"), are still being produced and should be around for a long time.

Banned

I've heard that swirly bulbs don't last near as long if they are swirly side down.

Banned

Administrator
Discussion Starter #15
In the end, conservation or not, this in my opinion, is forced participation in the fight against the hoax called man made climate change. Nothing seems to be made better anymore, just more expensive.

Registered
I skipped the fluorescents and went straight to LEDs. They Are a little pricey, but I hope I never have to replace them and the light is more like incandescent.

Premium Member
I've heard that swirly bulbs don't last near as long if they are swirly side down.
I haven't done any scientific testing, but my coiled fluorescents, whether inside or outside, are mounted up, down, sideways, and at non 90 degree angles. I haven't noticed any that quit earlier than the rest.

My biggest problem with the fluorescents is not all of them are dimmable. I hate getting the wrong ones at the store, putting them on a dimmer circuit, and cussing myself for it. :D

Registered
The government is protecting us from ourselves, who is protecting us from them?????No body..:mad::eek:

Registered
you want to change my lights, give me the replacement fixtures for free in exchange for the old ones. they can even recycle the old ones if they want

Registered

I don't think anyone thinks that progress is bad. It's government mandated progress that we groan against. It wasn't enough for the market to simply advertise and market the new bulbs like anyone else would have to, no, to this day I have never seen a commercial or print ad for CFLs or the like. Just news stories that the government is "outlawing incandescent bulbs because of global warming", forcing us to buy a product.

Sounds familiar.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts