1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
17,449 Posts
Wow. That dude has "spook" written all over him.

My wife was watching YouTube videos about how easy it is to kick in a door, got nervous, and had me replace the hinge and lock bracket screws with ones that are 3½ inches long like were recommended in the videos. If someone tried to kick in one of our doors, I wouldn't shoot through the door like Joe (the moron) Biden, but the worst day of their life would start (and end) when the door gave way.

·
Premium Member
13,395 Posts
The story states, "Flaherty has threatened his family and has a history of threats, alcohol abuse and drug abuse.". It makes me wonder if no legal action had ever been brought against him charging him with crimes related to threats, alcohol and drug abuse. If he had been found guilty of related crimes he definitely should not have had a gun or access to guns.

·
Registered
345 Posts
This just adds ammo to the Anti 2A folks arsenal. They will use it to show crazy people by guns. The real problem is what BigBlue wrote above. Why did the authorities not act when the evidence was clear the fellow was dangerous. The real issue is that it is the failure to enforce existing gun laws that is the problem.

·
Registered
19,306 Posts
This just adds ammo to the Anti 2A folks arsenal. They will use it to show crazy people by guns. The real problem is what BigBlue wrote above. Why did the authorities not act when the evidence was clear the fellow was dangerous. The real issue is that it is the failure to enforce existing gun laws that is the problem.
Sadly, enforcement has to extend beyond the arrest if it's gonna' work. They can jail these nutjobs but they usually get put right back on the street by some liberal judge or prosecutor...:dunno:...no real point to this kind of enforcement.

·
Premium Member
5,163 Posts
My wife...had me replace the hinge and lock bracket screws with ones that are 3½ inches long like were recommended in the videos.
Ditto here. I replaced all the bracket screws a few years ago with 3-1/2 inch ones. Also, after a rash of residential burglaries in which the gained entry through the rear door to the garage, I barred the door with a 2/4. I'd rather keep them out of the house. I don't want to have to confront an intruder.

·
Registered
17,449 Posts
Ditto here. I replaced all the bracket screws a few years ago with 3-1/2 inch ones. Also, after a rash of residential burglaries in which the gained entry through the rear door to the garage, I barred the door with a 2/4. I'd rather keep them out of the house. I don't want to have to confront an intruder.
There is no outside walk-in door to our garage, just a keypad code entry system for the overhead door. When we bought the place, I was inspecting things and noticed that someone had tried to slip the front doorknob latch with an ice pick while the house was unoccupied. There are puncture marks in the rubber seal, but they never got in. Of course, if my wife saw a show on TV about burglars and rapists coming down the chimney, I'd have to brick it up and install an electric heating system. :icon_rolleyes: She feels totally vulnerable because she might not be able to get to the .38 cal Colt revolver in her night stand, the .40 cal PT100 in my night stand, the AR15 under the bed with 20 rounds in it, or the assorted (and loaded) .22 semi auto, .22 mag, .32 Walther, 380 PT58, or the 9mm PT709 in the dresser.

We don't leave anything unlocked around here because it's a relatively high poverty/crime area and apparently a lot of lazy low-lifes find a girlfriend to support them when they get out of prison. A town of 9,000 with an average of 1 or 2 murders per year, including two cops within 9 months of each other.

What are the odds of THIS happening: cops get a call about a guy beating his wife/girlfriend up at a certain address, she's on the phone screaming for help and the phone goes dead...cops go out, wife/girlfriend meets them at the door and says everything is OK...cops tell her they have to come in and check to be sure because they've had trouble there before ("known" drug dealer)...cops walk in and her boyfriend kills one and wounds two others...because of a mix up in the dispatch center, they had the right street address but the wrong town. The actual call was for domestic violence in a town 20 miles away.

(Where I lived in Iowa, the closest town was half this size and had maybe one murder every 15 or 20 years in the entire county.) And if you ever looked at the map of sexual predators in this area, you'd never let your wife or daughter go to the Lake of the Ozarks/Truman Reservoir or any of the resort lakes in Missouri without you, and you would go heavily armed.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
If they would enforce the existing non-firearms laws, then the gun laws applicable to this situation would never come into play. The situation has been allowed to devolve to the point where there are serious risks to public safety before there's been any attempt to act to correct his behavior.

Reactions: twolfe55

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
I would wager there is no infrastructure for handling these complaints and everyone thinks someone else is doing it.Plus it makes it a whole lot easier for the dems to scream NO GUNS.

·
Super Moderator
37,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would wager there is no infrastructure for handling these complaints and everyone thinks someone else is doing it.Plus it makes it a whole lot easier for the dems to scream NO GUNS.
It would be interesting in a few weeks to see if he is on the "no buy" list and if his firearms have been removed from his accessing them...or do we just wait for him to shoot up a Waffle House?

·
Super Moderator
20,007 Posts
Seems like a great teaching opportunity for the 2A crowd. Maybe if the Fla equivalent to Ga Carry (state gun lobby) could proactively condemn this type of activity before it gets dragged into an anti-2A protest. Also, making a big deal of this type behavior may result in definitive action. Who knows, maybe anti-2A folk would rather this one slip through the cracks to further their anti-gun agenda . . . ..

·
Super Moderator
37,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does anyone thing Ring is pushing these for advertising effective use of their product?
IDK...it's pretty vulnerable since a perp could walk up hiding their face and slap a piece of duct tape over the lens.

·
Registered
19,306 Posts
There seem to be some critical gaps in the legal system on various levels. This is a local for instance but typical of the things you can encounter.....

In my county, you can get a civil judgement against someone for money owed you but there is no mechanism for collection. If they don't pay...:dunno:...nothing happens. You can take them back to court, get another and possibly even higher judgement against them but it's just the same deal all over again.

Reactions: DeltaBravoKS

·
Registered
14,821 Posts
He needs a mental health evaluation.

If they find he is crazy, he should be locked in the Looney bin.

Otherwise, as long as he is free to walk the streets, his rights should remain intact.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Re why hasn't law enforcement taken action -- t's not so surprising that Flaherty is still roaming. If you've known any wives/families of abusers, you know they often go through a lot before they actually take action, and when that action is to leave or call law enforcement, they are frequently the ones to bail the abuser out or defend him and return.

This seems less fodder for anti-Constitutionalists, and more an underscoring of why RKBA is so essential. There aren't many homes that can actually stand up to a determined effort to breach. If Krazy Kevin with an AR really wants to get in, he's going to get in and probably before law enforcement is on scene. Cowering with the family in a bathtub just groups his victims, and doesn't have anywhere near the likelihood of survival as covering his POE with a gun as he enters.

Reactions: jtg452

·
Premium Member
5,163 Posts
And if you ever looked at the map of sexual predators in this area, you'd never let your wife or daughter go to the Lake of the Ozarks/Truman Reservoir or any of the resort lakes in Missouri without you, and you would go heavily armed.
Uh, oh. My wife goes to the LoA as well as Taneycomo area lots without me. What's up with all those people?

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
His access to guns was not the problem. His access to the outside world was. He should have been incarcerated.
You're right but that's not the issue that will be exploited. Access to gun and vest will be. All the anti's see is he has a dangerous black gun which shows how easily it is to have one??? Don't know what one has to do with the other but they'll use this to continue to push "stronger gun laws". There will be no talk of his history of issues nor his under the influence of something (no shoes and stumbling around).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts