Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I'm new to the whole open carry scene, so I'm sorry if this has been asked before. In Michigan, would carrying a pistol/revolver in a flap holster still be considered concealed carrying? Do any of you use a flap holster? Does it actually help protect your firearm from the elements/tree branches/etc? I have a Vietnam era web belt and was thinking of getting a holster to match it.

I don't think ill be open carrying any time in the near future, but it has been a question burning at the back of my head for some time since I first learned about it a few months ago. I heard rumors from a friend of mine that people did it often when he was living in Arizona but never figured people would/could do it anywhere else.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I'm in Grand Rapids and I OC all the time. I've never seen or heard of anyone using the flap style holsters for every day carrying.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think a military flap holster would be considered open carry because it is obviously a holster for a gun.

Reactions: 91 whiskey

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
So I called my local PD and the chief told me that if you can not see the firearm it is considered concealed. I live in southern MI. Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I think a military flap holster would be considered open carry because it is obviously a holster for a gun.
LOL now see you are counting on people to have commonsense this is a quality I have found lacking greatly in people lately

Reactions: Lance0812

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your reply's:)

@Robbk: That's pretty much what I was figuring. The one I was looking at was a half-flap I think where you could still see most of the grips sticking out but not the rest of it.

·
Registered
615 Posts
So I called my local PD and the chief told me that if you can not see the firearm it is considered concealed. I live in southern MI. Hope that helps
I think he is the last person I would ask, ok maybe not the last, but REALLY far down the list. If you can I would call the prosecutors office, he is the one that decides on who to charge with something. For example the Kent County Prosecutor is on the record in respects to open carriers in a school with a concealed pistol permit, he has said he will not prosecute a person arrested for this.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It is open carry if you are carrying in a visible flap holster, since the holster is an obvious receptacle for a firearm, and in most cases, some of the firearm is visible to an observer. It could be very effective as far as protecting the firearm, but but not so good for quick access.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
From the MSP website, MSP - Michigan's Concealed Pistol Law - FAQs

"Do I need a concealed pistol permit to carry my pistols while walking through the woods near my cabin in Michigan? If not, are there any restrictions on how or where the gun is carried?

MCL 750.227 allows you to carry a concealed pistol if you are in your home, place of business, or on other land possessed by you. If you do not possess the land, you may lawfully carry the pistol as long as you carry it non-concealed. Michigan appellate courts have held complete invisibility is not required for the weapon to be considered concealed. The weapon is concealed if it is not observed by those casually observing the person as people do in the ordinary and usual associations of life. Attorney General's opinion #3158 dated February 14, 1945, states a pistol carried in a holster or belt outside of the clothing in plain view is not considered concealed, but carrying under a coat would constitute concealed."

There you go, clear as mud. "In a holster", "in plain view" Wanna be the guinea pig?

Enter the "cell phone" (Sneaky Pete type) holster into the equation. A ruling that the gun does not have to be visible in the holster could get very interesting with implications for both CPL holders and non-CPL holders alike.

ETA, lots of info here: http://www.migunowners.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=209

·
Registered
615 Posts
From the MSP website, MSP - Michigan's Concealed Pistol Law - FAQs

"Do I need a concealed pistol permit to carry my pistols while walking through the woods near my cabin in Michigan? If not, are there any restrictions on how or where the gun is carried?

MCL 750.227 allows you to carry a concealed pistol if you are in your home, place of business, or on other land possessed by you. If you do not possess the land, you may lawfully carry the pistol as long as you carry it non-concealed. Michigan appellate courts have held complete invisibility is not required for the weapon to be considered concealed. The weapon is concealed if it is not observed by those casually observing the person as people do in the ordinary and usual associations of life. Attorney General's opinion #3158 dated February 14, 1945, states a pistol carried in a holster or belt outside of the clothing in plain view is not considered concealed, but carrying under a coat would constitute concealed."

There you go, clear as mud. "In a holster", "in plain view" Wanna be the guinea pig?

Enter the "cell phone" (Sneaky Pete type) holster into the equation. A ruling that the gun does not have to be visible in the holster could get very interesting with implications for both CPL holders and non-CPL holders alike.

ETA, lots of info here: MGO Community Forum
I have actually been interested in military holster with a flap, I think I will have to get one and see how Grand Rapids Police reacts.
hopefully not like this Lawsuit: Gun owner says Grand Rapids police wrongly detain him for openly carrying pistol | MLive.com

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@treg: Very informative. Ill troll the forum there a bit. Thanks.

@Raggs: Yeesh. That link pretty much sums up my fears. Discouraging stuff that.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
If something like a "Sneaky Pete" is considered concealed then I would be very weary of using a flap holster unless there was a decent portion of the weapon still exposed.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hello!

I'm new to the whole open carry scene, so I'm sorry if this has been asked before. In Michigan, would carrying a pistol/revolver in a flap holster still be considered concealed carrying? Do any of you use a flap holster? Does it actually help protect your firearm from the elements/tree branches/etc? I have a Vietnam era web belt and was thinking of getting a holster to match it.

I don't think ill be open carrying any time in the near future, but it has been a question burning at the back of my head for some time since I first learned about it a few months ago. I heard rumors from a friend of mine that people did it often when he was living in Arizona but never figured people would/could do it anywhere else.

This would be a concealed weapon in most states. Here's the Va. law:

Thus a weapon is unlawfully concealed when a holster or
other method of carrying the weapon conceals the weapon or disguises its
nature.

=============================

I couldn't find the Mich law, but would suspect the same would be true. If you can't see the firearm, it's concealed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts