Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I am a new firearms owner. I have a Taurus PT111 Millennium G2 9mm. I took my gun to the indoor range to shoot it for the first time and noticed flames coming from the ejection port almost every time I fired a round. I only fired 3 magazines (36 rounds) out of fear of damaging the weapon or injuring myself. I was using Fiocchi FMJ. Is this normal or safe? Should I be worried? Has anyone else had this issue? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
675 Posts
!st, Welcome to TA.
From the vids I've watched of weapons firing in subdued light, it is perfectly normal.
.22's firing are the most pronounced.

I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes I'm positive it wasn't muzzle flash. My wife actually saw it first and pointed it out to me. It's a small flame coming from the ejection port. The slide goes forward completely. Im wondering if maybe it's a problem with the ammunition? I am going to my parents house tomorrow to shoot some and I think I'll try some higher quality ammo.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE: I said I was a new firearms owner, but I do have experience with firearms. I got out of the Army National Guard in 2011, but I never received training with handguns, just the M16, M240B, and SAW (can't for the life of me remember the nomenclature, I thinks it may be M248?) This is the first firearm I have ever personally owned. I apologize if I was misleading.

Reactions: granthol

·
Registered
778 Posts
Nothing wrong with that shootin iron, that is normal with some semi-autos. Some do it more than others.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Yes I'm positive it wasn't muzzle flash. My wife actually saw it first and pointed it out to me. It's a small flame coming from the ejection port. The slide goes forward completely. Im wondering if maybe it's a problem with the ammunition? I am going to my parents house tomorrow to shoot some and I think I'll try some higher quality ammo.
Hope you didn't think I was being condescending. I noticed things like that when I started shooting handguns. You get used to it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On no lol I didn't think you were being rude in any way! I'm not the best at conveying emotion/context via a keyboard so please forgive me if I ever seem rude I promise it's not intentional :) . Thanks for the responses. I just want to be sure this isn't a safety issue.

Reactions: ISSMER and granthol

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
M249 on the SAW. These kinds of things are less noticible when shooting outdoors. I prescribe it as therapy for indoor shooters of every experience level.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies! I'm a newbie when it comes to handguns, but I'm sure range time will ripen me up. Any suggestions on basic handgun training? There are quite a few ranges that offer courses near me but I'm not sure if it's really necessary. I feel like basic firearms principles will suffice, and I just need to work on areas that differ between rifles and handguns such as stance, target acquisition, etc. This is the only forum I have ever joined, and what a resource this is! I'm going to check out the new threads and give whatever help I'm able. Thanks again guys. Hooah!

·
Registered
24,668 Posts
Welcome to TA from Minnesota.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Welcome from Indiana and congrats on owning the PT-111 G2. I have one myself and it is a fun little gun.

·
Premium Member
8,349 Posts
Welcome.jpeg

​ Welcome to the Forum from Gulf Coast Florida!

·
Super Moderator
36,368 Posts
Welcome from Northern Illinois! There are a myriad of courses from handgun safety to tactical training, plus tons of instructional videos on stance, target acquisition, etc on the web. The competition groups such as IDPA and USPSA are also enjoyable and provide good training experience. If you search those out most will let you visit one of the club matches to see if it's something you might like.

·
Registered
31,991 Posts
Welcome from the windswept, flat, treeless, once dry and dusty, prairie dog infested city of Lubbock, TX.

I quit having problems with flames out my ejection port when I quit using lighter fluid as a solvent. ;)

The cycling of an action happens shortly after combustion, a lot of compression takes place and vapors from the combustion will still be burning when the ejection port opens. It will vary depending on how fast or slow a powder you have in the ammo.

Look up some videos of Gun flash or pistol flash. Revolvers are really spectacular, although not the same as breach flash, but the flames look like something out of a AA Top Fuel Dragster exhaust, which is the same exact reason, unburnt gases in a rapid combustion.

Reactions: RalphG2

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Welcome from South Dakota!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts