Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 4 inch stainless model 94. Put about 200 rounds of federal and winchester 333 bulk through it. While cleaning the very dirty revolver I noticed some strange flame cutting marks. While it did have the standard falme cut line I have come to expect on all revolvers, this one had some spare steal burred up along the cut that looked to be peeled back and melted. Thoughts? Should I be concerned? I took a light file to the peeled back burrs.

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
I have to say I've never seen a .22 caliber round flame cut the top strap on a revolver. That is usually reserved for the high velocity, high powered magnum rounds like .357 mag or .44mag. Can you post some pictures of your problem?

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Are you sure it was steel? If the timing is a hair off you may be spraying a little lead on the top strap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Are you sure it was steel? If the timing is a hair off you may be spraying a little lead on the top strap.
Well I'll be. It is lead. I used a vinyl cleaning brush earlier and scrubbed like mad and it did not budge. Just know ran a hard steel knife blade across it and the lead flaked right off. You are the man.

What do I do about the timing. Could it also be throwing my shots off. It was shooting left.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
First, some ammo will cause what you are describing, due to tolerances being loose. Check the barrel-cylinder gap before talking about timing issues, too. A too wide gap will also leave you with lead on the top strap. Timing issues are the province of Warranty.

No, timing issues won't cause the gun to "shoot left", but improper trigger work will, 100% of the time for right-handed shooters. :)

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Too much of a gap would be warrantied too, If you bought it at a local gun shop with knowledgeable people they may be able to you figure out what the problem is and if it needs to go to Florida. I dont have any .22 revolvers and am not extremely familiar with them or their problems.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
WOW thats a new one on me..Thank the Gun God that I had my 94 6in reworked about two years ago..And Thank TAURUS even though I purchased it second hand they still honor the warranty...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts