Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've had a taurus 357 mag Tracker in Titanium for about 3 and a half years now. The trigger was, well, a Tauri trigger, which left a little to be desired for. Anyway, I got a wollfe reduced spring set for it and that really addressed the way the trigger felt. Upon taking it to the range, waaaay too many FTFs due to light primer strikes in double action mode. The town my employers had me at left no place to go shootin so I could really do too much beyond speculation at the time. Fast forward to Jan 1st 2008 during my Winter break and different town, new house, with all my post div. possessions in the same hut. I began fiddling with the Tracker more, swappin' out the factory, 12, 11, and 10 lb. hammer srping to no avail. Now even the factroy spring was giving me FTFs.
Then it occured to me that the hammer spring was not the culprit, it was the FIRING PIN RETURN SPRING. Duh! So I carefully dissasembled, again, and removed the the little pin that keeps the firing pin in place. I clipped off exactly one and a half of the coil spring and decided to polish the firing pin with a 8000 grit wetstone just cuz it makes it mirror shiny with out much work (or removal of metal). Put it back together, with the Wolfe 11 lb hammer spring, and lo and behold, totally cured, even with a batch of CCI primers that seemed a bit on the hard side.
So, before you give up and send it back to Taurus, clip a coil off the Firing pin return spring and it'll give the hammer enough space and less resistance to work in double action mode. :p

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, sorry to get your message late. I had no e-mail notification on a response. I'll post one after work tonight eh?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay. Here it is. You can see the firing pin return spring pin pokin' out by Pumpkin Head's stick.
*take off the faceplate with appropriate sized Screw driver (don't mix up the srews)
*Gently pull that out with some small needle nose pliers and put it in a small baggie (I hate chasin' around lost small parts). *Then half cock the hammer (have to hold it) and gently get the firing pin
and spring out. A paper clip may help to push it out the firing pin hole. *Again, put the firing pin in the baggie.
*Next clip one -to-one and a half coils off of the firing pin return spring,
being VERY careful not to let that little booger shoot off some place. *Doing this over a postal box, the size of a Taurus box, is a good idea.
Put the clipped firing pin return spring back over the firing pin.
*Put firing pin and spring back in firing pin channel.
*Install the pin that holds the firing pin back in.
*Put face plate back on.
*Dry fire a few times to make sure everything is working.
*Take out shootin'.

·
Registered
317 Posts
wtf is that damn scary lookin, I aint gettin email notices either. the 650 is DA only and there is no hammer it is concealed.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That be "Pumpkin Head." He's my safe keeper for when i ain't home. I have a CIA too, and it looks likes the firing pin retainer pin can be/has to be punched out from the outside of the frame. I haven't looked at the inards of my 650 though. Although dressed up defferently, it's gotta have a small hammer in there and firing pin return spring. Just need to experiment...cautiously. Dammit. Now I'm curious and have to dissasemble mine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My 85UL failed 4 out of 200 initial shots today. I wonder if this might be a venture worth exploring for me. Looking at the primers, the 4 that did not fire had far less of a dent than the others, which did fire. My initial thought was that I was shooting slowly and cautiously, and may have not had the trigger fully pulled, and therefore the trnasfer bar may not have fully engaged. But an over powered return spring or gunked up firing pin recess makes sense too...

How do you feel about your pistol in a muzzle down drop test? You think losing a coil made any difference there?

For a DAO pistol, maybe just remove the hammer spring first?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Another question...

How about removing like 1/2 of a mm from the face of the hammer? This would push the firing pin a hint further, before inertia takes over...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't touch the hammer. As to your other question, dropping it muzzle down. I don't belive taking a coil and a half off would equate into a cartridge bein' set off as there is still plenty of spring coils there to prevent inertia from smackin' the primer hard enough. Just a tad off them coils. that's all that was needed on my Tauri revolvers.

PS
Still didn't get notification about other other folk's posts. What's up with that mods?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I just got my 627 back from Taurus warranty repair. Unfortunately, they didn't fix the light strikes (although the gun doesn't seem to jam up like it did before). I clipped about 1.5 coils off the return spring, and I'm about to go give it a try.

Update : I just got back from firing a few shots off. Trimming the return spring seemed to fix it. I had no light strikes at all, and the primers all had a nice, even indentation. Thanks again! ;D

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got a bunch of powder residue, gun cleaning gunk, used primers, unidentified powder, and some smelting residue and heated it and rolled it all up. After it cooled down it started moving about. Luckily it eats Dog hair and there be plenty of that around my hut.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I had my taurus for a few months now and i would get sometimes 3 or 4 light strikes every time i used double action and sometimes with single action.
in england you can't pop into tescos and grab gun components so i did not cut the spring down, i did however polish up the fireing pin to a nice finish.

i used 2000 grit paper while spinning it in a drill, then went over it with some metal polish. compared to what it was like before its shiny as hell, and very smooth to the touch. I will let you guys know how it goes next month when i goto the range. ( i cant fire it in my garden hah)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I used this thread to try to fix my light primer strikes. The firing pin looked great so I don't think polishing was the problem. I decided to shorten the spring a little and see how that works. Haven't tried it out yet, but I guess if it don't work I can order a new spring. Has anyone who shortened the springs had continuing problems or has it held up fine?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Seems like taurus should use a better spring in the first place if this is a reoccuring problem. Little problems like this can give them a bad name. Yet the fix seems simple enough. Had someone at the range interested in a Judge but he was not impressed when one round took 3 strikes to actually fire. I was getting light hits on the federal OOO buckshot alot. And a couple out of some 45 colts.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My Taurus Model 94 22 rf revolver stll gets a light primer strike once in a blue moon. But I only took a wee bit off of the firing pin return spring. I could probably take a bit more off but it's just my plinking gun. Also, I pretty much only shoot Fed bulk box .22s from it and they've been known to have a few duds in tehm from time to time.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts