Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With many people suggesting that you cycle the magazine and or springs every 6 months the cost of taurus mags is high. Compared to even glock 19 on gun broker you can by multiples for much cheaper. $30 dollars a mag is unacceptable.. 2 come with the gun making them a 3rd of the cost.. I purchased my pt111 for $179. The other option which is even cheaper is to just order the springs from wolf springs however they only make them for pt92 and not the pt111. If you have a glock you can get them for 7.49. Making the glock eventually cheaper if you plan to cycle out your stuff every 6 months. The other options become buying a kahr or smith and wesson which wolf does make springs for making the cost even cheaper overtime. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Are you saying to replace the springs every 6 months? Have never heard that. I would guess that would be dependent on use.

Sig mags fit the PT111 so maybe those springs could be used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I agree, if you mean change out the spring every 6 months, I have never heard of such a thing. I have Beretta magazines that are several years old and been through countless load/reload cycles and the only change in them is that it's finally easier to get that last round in them.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I have original GI M1911A1 magazines that date to the 1950's that have never had the springs changed and they cycle just fine in my 1911. By cycle, I think they must have meant to unload and reload, or even to shoot them. I guess some people might worry that magazine springs might take a set from being loaded over time, but I haven't seen any actual evidence to support that theory.

Reactions: jtg452

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
6 month cycle is recommended for on duty cops whos life depends on the gun. My life may one day depend on it so I take the same precautions. Regaudless it doesnt take away the fact that the mags are over priced and yoi cant order a spring anywhere.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Yes, Glock and Sig and other manufacturers make less expensive magazines. Their guns also cost 2 to 3 times what the Taurus costs. I get Beretta 82 mags for less that 20 bucks apiece, but the gun costs 600 plus bucks. Why do they cost less? Well, there are probably a whole lot more Glock 19, Beretta 92 and Sig P229 magazines on the market.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Look at mags for un common guns across the board. The taurus mags are not that out of line. I just saw an ad today for SIG 938 mags for $34. Also I buy EAA Witness mags 3 at a time so I can get them for $25 a piece. If it's not military or police issue mags are gonna be more expensive.

·
Registered
541 Posts
6 month cycle is recommended for on duty cops whos life depends on the gun. My life may one day depend on it so I take the same precautions. Regaudless it doesnt take away the fact that the mags are over priced and yoi cant order a spring anywhere.
Are you referring to the practice of rotating the ammo?

If you EDC your pistol and load/unload the same round daily, it gets worn and could cause a malfunction. There's a practice of rotating the unloaded round to the bottom of the mag, and swapping out the entire stack of ammo every 6 months (or some other regular schedule).

i CC a .380 in the warmer months, and noticed those cases may dent and wear more than 9mm.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
I don't like joining bandwagons, but I've also never had a regular routine of changing mag springs, be it every 6 months or every 6 years. I change them when they need it. I have, however, bought one or two used guns that needed replacement mag springs, so they can wear out. I think the Keltec P11 I bought new also needed a replacement mag spring after 2000 rounds, but that's the only new gun.

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
Just buy a revolver and you won't have to worry about it. You'll only have to worry about running short on ammo if you can't shoot. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts