Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately gun makers seem to have a real problem with finding a standard. Taurus is no exception, but Taurus presently doesn't have enough following to prompt 3rd party sight manufactures to offer "drop in" replacements. Even Heine doesn't offer an alternative sight, though I've seen here they will be offering a night sight in mid-February.

Some sights, such as Glock & Sig have a dovetail base so small that sights made for their guns are unusable. If you want to fit a sight, you will have to start with a sight larger than the Taurus dovetail and either remove material from the sight, or open the dovetail on the slide.

Either is possible, however if you are concerned about resale value, you may wish to work on the sight and keep the originals to put back on the gun for sale.

Tools...

A small to medium triangular file, and a larger flat file (or course emery cloth) are about all the tools you will need. To make a "fitting" file, grind one side of the triangular file smooth. You can then work with the sight, letting the smooth side ride against the bottom on the blade while you work down the width of the dovetail material.

I have found some sights (such as those for the Hi-Power) can be fitted just by removing material from the bottom of the dovetail on the sight. This reduces the width and if the sight sits with a gap between the bottom of the blade and the slide it will also allow the sight to sit flush.

When removing material by filing, test often to make sure you aren't about to remove so much that the sight won't fit tight. Remember that you will have to do a bit of "tapping" at each trial fitting, because if the sight will fit into the dovetail you want it to be tight enough so it doesn't fall out.

Fitting the sight...

Using the smooth side of the triangular file, you can work the dovetail down from the sides as well as the bottom. This is important if the sight is very close to sitting flush with the slide when you start. The smooth side guarantees that you won't remove material for the bottom of the actual sight while allowing you to get close to dovetail portion of the sight to narrow that part.

Fitting the slide...

You can also take that same smooth file and open the width of the dovetail without cutting the dovetail any deeper into the slide. Do this gently since you want the dovetail to be tight enough to hold the sight securely.

Angles...

A professional gunsmith will have the equipment to keep the pitch of the dovetail on the slide and the sight in perfect dimensions. With the triangle file, there may be a very slight difference. But in my experience, fitting the sight in a tight dovetail tends to form both the sight and the slide portion of the dovetail until one would have to inspect the fit with a magnifying glass to find a gap.

An old trick...

In building and working with muzzle loaders, sometimes the dovetail on the barrel becomes enlarged and the sight won't fit tight. Old timers would "peen" the top of the dovetail... using a ball peen hammer or a punch to force the edge of the dovetail on the barrel downward and thus grip the sight. Most sights will cover the top of the dovetail or at least a part of it. Carefully "peening" the dovetail at a point where the sight will hide the mark works well.

Caution...

I would never spent $150 for a set of sights and then work on them with a file. Spend the money to have a gun smith fit them. But if you want to replace the front sight of the Taurus to raise the point of impact, then a $20 front sight and a bit of patience can work wonders. The same with the rear... if the sight is inexpensive, then take the time to know what you need to do and be gentle with the process and it will work wonders.

·
Administrator
17,913 Posts
I installed an Enterprise Arms Ghost Ring Rear Sight originally meant for a Beretta 92F on my PT92. As the Dovetail and Slide Design is different, it had to be shimmed in place. The Ghost Ring Sight has an Allen Screw Adjustment for tightening that can only be used once the shimming material is in place. I strongly suspect that this is true of other Taurus Pistols.

Also, the Taurus Rear Sight retains the Firing Pin Lock mechanism. When the Rear Sight is drifted off of the slide, it will come shooting out and may be easily lost. (Had to replace it!) If you, or someone else, is to remove the rear sight, drift it off from left to right and remember that the last 3/8 of an inch retains the Firing Pin Lock Plunger and Spring.

1992 Vintage Taurus PT92AFS with Enterprise Arms Ghost Ring Rear Sight

By the way, instead of peening the Dovetail of the FireArm, you may wish to peen the underside of the new Sight. I've also put a layer of Epoxy on the underside of a replacement sight, let it cure, and then fit it to the FireArm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts