Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's face it there are few guns that I own that look like a million bucks. They are workhorses that I use to eat up ammo for the most part. So to me fit and finish is not as important as reliablity. Too me a good looking gun that doesn't shoot is absolutely wothless. And I don't understand the pepole who complain about machining marks on their perfectly working firearm. Granted if I were to drop 10000 on a shotgun I expect that thing to be perfect and it better shoot good. But I dont see that happening anytime soon. Either way I'd take reliability over asthetics any day.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I have always felt that way too...
Nothing wrong with taking care of them,but trying to get the inperfections out...Nahhh
Guitars work the same way and even more so..
I have a Guitar i bought for 100.00 and it plays better than my 800.00 baby....
Its not that pretty,but it is very easy to play and sounds great..
when i look for a guitar,i play it..that is way more important than how it looks..I show some guys it and they scoff at me....but then they play it and then keep playing it..lol

·
Registered
663 Posts
dbsoundguy said:
Nothing wrong with taking care of them,but trying to get the inperfections out...Nahhh
You guys are weird. I'd pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars to be able to take my gun all apart, piece by little piece, and not be able to find a scratch or mill tool mark with a magnifying glass!! :judge: :p :clap: :yipee: :drool: :D :rolleyes:

JimL

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
finish is'nt important if it's used.. on a new gun the finish should be flawless, but tool and machining marks are only acceptable on cheap guns.. theres really no need for it.

fit wise this may not effect function but who wants a loose whore of a gun?, not me.. not even used, unless i got it cheap and can use it for a beater.

function is the most important thing obviously.. but there's nothing wrong with the gun looking good.. imo if the outside is rough whats the inside gonna look like?

on used guns worn finish is ok with me if the gun still fires well because it shows quality.. it has been around the block a few times, the finish might not be pretty but it still fires like new.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
I know I have looked locally at the 357's and 38's available. The roughest looking ones were the Comanche line. While they may fire well, and hold up I did not want to go that route, because they looked cheaply made.

I finally decided to try the Rossi 461 for my next purchase, two reasons, their made in a Taurus plant, the ones I looked at and held had a solid appearance, and they have 6 rd instead of 5, and are a lot cheaper to buy than the 5 or 7 rd Taurus. Every one I looked at had the same or similar appearance to my JUDGE, which by the way really has a great appearance, and shoots well from my limited experience.

In the next week I will see if that is true. I take delivery next Tuesday.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
never seen a Comanche, a shop around here had the .22's for 99 bucks but they sold out by the time i got there.

i tried calling their maker for a pdf or otherwise electronic copy of the manual ( i always like to look at the manual online before i buy a unfamiliar gun).. which im still not sure who does.. from what i can tell it's firestorm brand.. but firestorm does'nt actually make guns and are the brand added to guns imported by eagle imports.. or at least thats what i gather.. im still not 100% sure.. anyway i sent them a email and never heard back.. i'd suspect if you buy a comanche then you bought it as-is.. new or not i doubt you'll be getting any kinda warranty or service from them, but for a cheap gun i suppose that's acceptable.

I was looking for a cheap .22 and wanted a revolver.. ended up getting a S&W 22a, which is the opposite of what i was looking for but the price was decent and im happy with it.. though im still looking for a .22 revolver (i gotta itch)

btw i've not seen any comanche guns locally.. i think they have supply problems.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a difference between loose and imperfect. I had a ruger that the tolerances weren't up to spec. But the thing ran like a champ. I looked inside and the slide had gouges and machining marks all ove rthe place but it did not affect the function at all. Same with an enfield I own. It was made in 1945 and by the looks of it, you'd think a kid filed the reciever out a solid block of metal, but it shoots dead nuts. I'm not talking about the guns that are falling apart here I'm talking about the ugly guns that may not be purdy but get the job done. Like your cz-52's and your SKS's. You look at them and you may see daylight between some parts, but they work and they are often more durable than your thousand dollar baby.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
there is nothing wrong with that in a used gun.. but in a new gun i dont want something that could give a Singapore whore a run for her money or with a finish that looks like they used gravel as a packaging material during shipping, rather the gun will last 250k rounds and functions flawlessly..

im not gonna have confidence in a gun that rough out of the box.. and i dont see any reason why someone would when there are guns that will stand the test of time and do have a nice finish and are tight from the start.

now if you're just talking about used, not abused guns then scratch and dent here and there is fine as long as it still shoots well.. i dont like to see loose ever but thats ok too as long as it's proven to be reliable.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Never owned a gun made in Finland. I look at a gun as a tool and I use tools. If they work that's fine. Just don't want to spend lots of money for something pretty that I may have to throw done if used in self defense. There are guns for plinking, hunting varmit and large game and then there are handguns, which are for a last resort.

Would rather have a nasty looking but accurate gun that constantly hits it's mark with 1 shot kills than an ingraved and polished show piece that never gets used. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I'm not talking about the guns that are falling apart here I'm talking about the ugly guns that may not be purdy but get the job done. Like your cz-52's and your SKS's. You look at them and you may see daylight between some parts, but they work
SKS... what a gun
Ain't that the truth..but they always shoot.... ;)

never seen a Comanche
Joe..i saw one in a pawn shop brand new...i saw the price and thought..... cool... :)
Been wanting a big gun, but lack of finances, would not allow it..
Most things i get i do trade out work for them...
Was going to trade some stuff to get it and my boss found out and got me a Tracker( i have a great boss)..
here is a site to see what they look like..i think they are made in Spain or Argentina..dunno :???:

Here is a couple of pics..
the first one is a .38

this one is the .357 (The one i looked at was Stainless like the one above)

Here is the website i got that from: ;)

http://www.firestorm-sgs.com/comanche.htm

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those pictures look a lot better than the commanches I've seen in real life. The only drawback I've seen to owning one I believe is the resale value. They are like the kias of firearms.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
dbsoundguy said:
Joe..i saw one in a pawn shop brand new...i saw the price and thought..... cool... :)
thanks i ment i had never seen one in real life to hold and touch.. i looked into them on the web and got no reply at all from them.. from what i gather they are firestorm brand.. but that being just a band label that eagle imports sells guns under.. they dont actually make guns from what i understand.. they also sell bersa thunder 9's under firestorm brand but of course "bersa" makes the thunder-9

i imagine it's one of those guns you buy as-is even new and should'nt expect any support.. so it's some what of a gamble.. you might get a pos that breaks in 50 rounds.. or you might get one that is solid built and sold for a fraction of it's true worth.. ya just never know..

im still interested in getting their .22 if i can find one again on sell for 99.99.. i'll risk a 100 bucks unless it's really sloppy in person.

and also the fact im not sure how you can screw up a .22... they're usually over built for the caliber

·
Registered
132 Posts
Function and Accuracy every time I have a few ugly guns that where work horses. I owned desert eagle in 44. mag worst gun I ever owned it was great looking that didn't function worth
crap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts