Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy to say, in a manner of speaking. That today I received my very first warning from a LEO.
While leaving my neighborhood this afternoon to pick my wife up from work. I was going a tad fast around a bend. 37 in a 25 to be precise. Lo and behold a cruiser was coming the opposite way from me. Realizing I was going a tad fast I gradually slowed but was still above the limit. I seen him pull around and I just knew he was coming for me. I went at a slow pace, projecting my driving intentions until he flashed me over. Pulled over turned the car off and pulled the keys out of the ignition like I normally do.
The officer was very friendly and polite, introduced himself immediately and asked me how my day was going. He informed me why he pulled me over and said the neighbors have been complaining of people speeding in this residential area. I informed him that I lived just right up the road and that he was right, people come ripping through here all the time and it's quite dangerous with all the foot traffic on the road (joggers n such.) Asking if I gotten pulled over recently (answer was yes, unfortunately.) He said he'd see what he could do and asked me to just sit tight.
Upon returning to my vehicle he said It's ez to become complacent living in a neighborhood and driving the same roads everyday but to please watch my speed and that hes going to let me go with just a warning.

My very first warning after being stopped for speeding about 5 times since I was 16. Good to know these so called "warnings," that it seems everyone else gets are fact and not just a myth as I was starting to suspect them to be.

Reactions: bre346

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
All's well that end's well. :thumb:

I have found out through the years, that it is always prudent to show courtesy and respect to law enforcement officers...especially during a traffic stop. The majority of the time, the officer will respond to you according to the way you treat him or her.

It appears that you handled yourself quite well, and the officer responded in like kind.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not all LEOs are A$$es lol. I've gotten a warning before, not for speeding but for tint and a license plate light being out.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
When you are younger I find they will ticket you quicker to get your attention. As you get older they will give you a warning unless you get an attitude or are a chronic offender. If you showed him your CCW that may have had something to do with it as well.

Funniest warning I ever got was in Orlando, FL. I was driving on I-4 in my company van (logos and all) around 10 pm coming back from doing a call at a hospital in Daytona Beach. I was probably doing about 70 in a 60 zone when this cop pulls along side of me and gets on his PA and says, "You know this is a 60 MPH zone." I slow down and he pulls forward and hits his lights to pull over a red sports car.

I guess he figured if I was still working that late on a Friday night I deserved a break.

Reactions: Jc85

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Not all LEOs are A$$es lol. I've gotten a warning before, not for speeding but for tint and a license plate light being out.

Sent from my iPhone 4S
I have been pulled over for the license plate thing and so has my wife. I think they use that as an excuse to look you over, just in case you're up to no good. JMO

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I was probably doing about 70 in a 60 zone when this cop pulls along side of me and gets on his PA and says, "You know this is a 60 MPH zone." I slow down and he pulls forward and hits his lights to pull over a red sports car.
Thats good stuff!
I haven't had anything quite like the loud speaker story but a park ranger did flash his lights at me once when I was coming down a rather steep grade. Guess I could consider that a warning too.

oh and no, I wasn't carrying. I did try to hand it to him tho and said "oh Waite I dont need this." I don't know if he caught what it was or not I only brought it over to about my chest. I don't carry at work and I had my moms car for the day. I just finished doing some repairs to it and wanted to see if any problems arose, so I was driving it to run my errands and since it dosnt have a lock box installed I just left it at home for the day.

Reactions: btleslie

·
Super Moderator
21,440 Posts
Just a warning, I was 5 years old when I saw the neighborhood drunk speed down the dead end road ,what he did not see was my friend riding his bike down his steep drive and out in front of him as us young kids looked on we saw our friend get smeared 30 feet before the guy stopped. Our parents rushed up and grabbed us away but what was left is still in my mind. I'm almost 53.

Yes I sped when I was young until a kid on a bike swerved out in front of me I missed him but went home and cried. The image returned that day and stays with me today!!!!!!

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have gotten one ticket in 33 yrs of driving and I got smart with the guy,so you know what happened.He went back to his car and wrote me one ,didnt take me long to figure out that didnt go so well.LOL

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was twords the end of spring and I just did some repair's to my supra. getting it ready for summer. I had my daughter in the car an we just picked my wife up from work.. having the targa top off we decided to take the long way home.. 60 in a 55.. A really big girl pulled me over and said "May I ask why your in such a hurry." and I said, "Yea sure, I'm trying to get home a little quicker then normal because as you can see my car is overheating.. " white smoke was then poring out of the hood.. She made me Waite like 10 minutes before she came back, I actually had time to smoke a cigarette. Asked If I was wearing my seat belt, and I said, Yes! I always do, didn't you notice me taking it off when we were talking? anyhow she asked how big my daughter was and apparently I was 1 inch short of not having her use a car seat..I So it went down as speeding and failure to apply child restraint. or something like that. I even had to wait for my father in law to come and drive my daughter home in a car seat. Made me sound like a real dead beat in court. I had to explain it to the judge, I told him I didn't want out of it, an inch is an inch. Just don't want the court to have the wrong impression. He listened, but I doubt he really cared.

@ 45 forever.. that's rough, thank you for sharing it tho. Food for thought.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I have gotten one ticket in 33 yrs of driving and I got smart with the guy,so you know what happened.He went back to his car and wrote me one ,didnt take me long to figure out that didnt go so well.LOL
I imagine it always ends that way for the driver if he / she gets "lippy" with the officer. ;)

·
17,571 Posts
When my son was a few months old he was down for a nap when my wife went out to check the mail and locked herself out of the house. She called in a panic from a neighbors house and I proceeded to haul (posterior) to the house. I was doing about 80 in a 55 and when I came up over the top of an overpass, and there he was, a cruiser on the inside shoulder. I immediately pulled over to the right shoulder, got out of the car, and waited for the officer to catch up. I explained to him the situation and told him he could follow me to the house (we were just 3 miles away) and give me a ticket but I HAD to get home. He asked for my license and insurance, inspected them and handed them right back. He said he couldn't follow me home because I lived over the county line. I offered to meet him on the way back in about half an hour and he could write me one if he wanted. He said forget about it, but slow down. YES SIR! Drove he speed limit the rest of the way.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
I've gotten out of a few tickets for minor things like speeding on the highway and making a left on red (which is legal in PA when going from a one way to another one way). Thank God for my CCW and NRA stickers in my van windows. They've gotten me off just for the fact that i inform the officer of my weapon (which is unnecessary in PA, but is good courtesy IMO), keep my hands in plain view atop the steering wheel, and inform him that my cards are in the pocket under my handgun and i would prefer not to be drawn on just for grabbing them.

The worst thing i was pulled over for was a drive-by murder in a close neighborhood that my car fit the description of. The vanity plate on the front with 'Lamont' on it didn't help my case since the only difference between the actors name and mine was the middle name. It was one big sigh of relief for me since i was just on my way to pick up a pizza after work.

·
Registered
194 Posts
It had to be around 1985 I was a young factory sales coordinator for a popular tree stump removal manufacturing company coming home from a trade show held at the IX center in Cleveland Ohio. Just received a brand new custom painted to the company Ford F-150. Real sweet looking truck. Just got it 2 days before the incident. On my way home about 10:00pm on I-71 south a State Trooper pulled me over not for speeding but for a possible stolen vehicle! I explained that it was a new truck and all, here the guys in the shop put the old plates from another truck on it and not the new one that was meant for it. I "smiled" and said I this is a small mistake and the truck is not stolen. He looked at me with this cold look and said "You seem pretty happy for a guy that’s going to jail for auto theft" Scared the crap out of me even till this day I think about it. Anyways we had to call the owner of the company and did get it straighten out and I left with a warning 2 HOURS LATER!!!

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
When you are younger I find they will ticket you quicker to get your attention. As you get older they will give you a warning unless you get an attitude or are a chronic offender. If you showed him your CCW that may have had something to do with it as well.

Funniest warning I ever got was in Orlando, FL. I was driving on I-4 in my company van (logos and all) around 10 pm coming back from doing a call at a hospital in Daytona Beach. I was probably doing about 70 in a 60 zone when this cop pulls along side of me and gets on his PA and says, "You know this is a 60 MPH zone." I slow down and he pulls forward and hits his lights to pull over a red sports car.

I guess he figured if I was still working that late on a Friday night I deserved a break.
Warning for 70mph!??? You should have gotten an Award! I'm originally from Tampa, and the last time I was on I-4 traffic was lucky to go 45 mph. :D

Reactions: btleslie

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Where I live theres pretty much no cops around and the only thing you have to not hit is a moose... so the speed limit doesnt seem to exist. BUT I was driving to the nearest city one day with my roomate in the passenger seat. As we entered city limits I was speeding but not by a whole lot. A cop came up behind me and put on his lights for me to pull over. Instead of pulling over I just hit the gas and kept going. My roomate freeked out like hes afraid of getting in trouble or something so I was like ohhhh ok and pulled over.
The cops comes up to my window and says to me "I guess you didnt see me back there"? and I said "yes as a matter of fact I did"
Its a touchy subject for me though... I KNOW not all cops are bad... and theres a lot of cops in my family. But all ive ever seen are bad cop, corrupt bullies. So I do have a bit of a hate for them... just thinking about the police makes my blood start to boil "criminals with badges" I call them. No offence to any cops here like I said im sure all cops arent bad.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Jacksonville needs cops that will pull you over for 10 MPH or so over the limit. We have I295 where most of it is 65 but people are doing anything from 40 to 80 something. You would think the city would be raking in funds from those that clearly have money to burn.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
It had to be around 1985 I was a young factory sales coordinator for a popular tree stump removal manufacturing company coming home from a trade show held at the IX center in Cleveland Ohio. Just received a brand new custom painted to the company Ford F-150. Real sweet looking truck. Just got it 2 days before the incident. On my way home about 10:00pm on I-71 south a State Trooper pulled me over not for speeding but for a possible stolen vehicle! I explained that it was a new truck and all, here the guys in the shop put the old plates from another truck on it and not the new one that was meant for it. I "smiled" and said I this is a small mistake and the truck is not stolen. He looked at me with this cold look and said "You seem pretty happy for a guy that’s going to jail for auto theft" Scared the crap out of me even till this day I think about it. Anyways we had to call the owner of the company and did get it straighten out and I left with a warning 2 HOURS LATER!!!
I was in a rental with my family one night and got pulled over because the rental agency had put the tags for one car on another. Luckily it did not take 2 hours to clear up since I had the rental agreement with me.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Glad you had a friendly encounter. I have had both. My latest stop was for a license plate light out. The officer approached and said good evening, then he asked if I had my firearm or firearms in the vehicle. I replied yes to both. He replied ok and asked of there location. Once he knew where they were located he gave me a warning about the light. Here in Virginia and other states I believe the CCW license comes up when the run a check on you or plate.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Glad you had a friendly encounter. I have had both. My latest stop was for a license plate light out. The officer approached and said good evening, then he asked if I had my firearm or firearms in the vehicle. I replied yes to both. He replied ok and asked of there location. Once he knew where they were located he gave me a warning about the light. Here in Virginia and other states I believe the CCW license comes up when the run a check on you or plate.
I would kinda like to get pulled over just so I could show it to them,in a kinda crazy way.My luck though I'd get a ticket,since most of the cops around here dont want people to carry.I did have a good meeting with one at my house though:My wife and I recently bought another house,and are currently remodeling it,and as soon as the methheads in the area found out nobody was living there we had 2 attempted breakins in a week.I called the cops and made a report,the same cop came both times.The first time he came he ask if I had a gun,I asswered yes,and pulled up my shirt.He said so I assume you have a permit,I said yes.He then answered: quote:You know you dont have to run if confronted with a person breaking in just dont shoot him in the back,if he has any kind of weapon and threatens you shoot him.We have a pretty good Sheriff in the county now he's trying to clean it up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts