Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my new 3rd gen SS PT145 to the range today.
200 rounds of Winchester white box 230 grain FMJ's without a single failure to fire, or misfeed. Didn't even have to ever strike twice. (I have heard that sometimes the wwb primers are too hard for the 145's, not for mine :)) I did lightly clean and oil it mid-way through. (I would like to clean a pistol more often while breaking it in, but it was a pain at the range I went to.)
20 rounds +p Federal LE Bonded Tactical, again no issues at all. Just a little more recoil, but not much. (They do punch a cleaner hole through targets lol)
Recoil is not bad considering I am launching 230 grain bullets down range even with this small pistol.
The checkering is sharp as hell though, my hand got sore. I finally covered it with tape which made the pistol much more comfortable. I think I will invest in a hogue slip on. I like it on my 9mm, so I assume it will complement this pistol well too!
Only complaint is the sights, I DO NOT LIKE the hienie sights, they suck ass. I guess that is why they are named what they are! Any recommendations on better sights? Plus they were not adjusted well from the factory!

I guess I got a good 145, YAY!
I feel pretty confident using this as my CCW weapon when my permit goes through.
And my High Noon Holster, the split decision, (canted hidden ally) arrived. It is pretty nice!

·
Super Moderator
22,025 Posts
At about 500 rounds you start to get used to them. Just keep telling yourself what Taurus wants you to believe that these are highly respected military grade sites that only people like James Bond would use.:)

·
Administrator
35,766 Posts
I love my PT145, haven't had a misfire, ftf, or ftl - not one. I am going to buy a glove, though, because I keep wearing a hole in the side of my thumb that rubs against the grip......but I LOVE my 145, can't wait to carry it every day. :)

·
Administrator
40,859 Posts
I like heinies. :drool:

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
MJaeger said:
The checkering is sharp as hell though, my hand got sore. I finally covered it with tape which made the pistol much more comfortable. I think I will invest in a hogue slip on. I like it on my 9mm, so I assume it will complement this pistol well too!

Only complaint is the sights, I DO NOT LIKE the hienie sights, they suck ass. I guess that is why they are named what they are! Any recommendations on better sights? Plus they were not adjusted well from the factory!
Let me offer a suggestion. Go to Wal-Mart and buy a pair of weight lifting gloves with the extra leather padding in the paim. When you go to the range use the glove to protect your hand, but when carrying concealed, you will want all of the leverage of those will star points. Besides, wrapping with almost any tape tremendous slickness to the grip or makes is harder to carry concealed.

About thos hiene sights... give this a thought http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=502.0

It is only a front sight fix, but for combat shooting it is a heck of a good sight picture even with the hienie

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, the tape is a bad idea. I just used it for the last 50 rounds or so :) (cut to just fit only over the checkered areas) The high levels of grip would be nice for CCW, but after a couple hundred rounds I turn into a big wuss lol
I have some williams fire sights on the way, the hienies are ok I suppose, but I am more used to regular sights. I like being able to see what I am shooting at without covering it up.

I do love the 145, wonderful compact 45. Second to none especially for the price. Gotta love the nice single action pull!

The guy at the range said to expect ammo to rise another 20% next month. If that's true, I better start reloading or shooting the 22's more!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts