Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had heard a TON of bad things regarding the PT709 and stayed away as a result. My curiosity FINALLY got me and I traded a revolver for a well kept PT709. I took it to the range with a box of UMC bulk and was surprised at how well it fed and what a nice trigger it had. The dots are 3-dot but the dots are a shade dull and small for my tired old eyes. I have already fixed that by painting them day-glow orange. FYI: Hobby Lobby carries small containers of day-glow orange acrylic and they also have little bitty q-tips that fit the indentations for most painted sights. Anyway, that should help... Next issue is that the pistol shot slightly low and left at 7 yds. Since the front sight is fixed, I loosened the set screw on the rear sight and moved both screws on the side counterclockwise a tad thinking they were for pulling the side from side to side for windage. Moral is to read the book before monkeying. .By turning the rear screw counter-clockwise, it lowered the sights even farther. Anyway, when I got back, I opened the "INSTRUCTIONS MANUAL" and sure enough found that the sights are adjustable for both windage and elevation. I will get that sorted out next trip to the range. Did I mention the trigger feel is excellent for a DAO weapon of this sort. Didn't have a single jam or feed issue. The pistol is a snap to break down for cleaning and pistols that are easy to clean get cleaned more often...

Last issue; I saw the Pearce finger extensions. I need a couple for the two 7 rd. mags that came with the pistol. When I was looking in the manual under the specs, it mentioned that 9 rd. mags are available but heck if I can find them; I looked on the Taurus website and it seems the 709 doesn't exist as far as mags go. In fact, the Taurus site lists this pistol as SA/DA. Huh?

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
There have been a lot of references to a 9rd 709 magazine, including one exclusively for the mythical 709-G2, but no one has ever seen one, and a Taurus spokesman allegedly said that there are no plans for a 9rd mag.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You can get a +1 mag extension that is pretty easy to install. I just had to scrape the inside where it is machined out to allow the baseplate on the spring to set all the way down. You could then take a pinkey extension, sand it shorter and epoxy it to the bottom on the mag extension. Any yes they are DA/SA. The DA function is only to provide a "second strike" should you have a primer that needs a second hit to work. For me the DA is not very helpfull. Glad you are enjoying your "new" pistol.

·
Super Moderator
21,578 Posts
Congrats on your new gun Glad your working through the issues.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Taurus 2011 What's New Catalog

The Loch Ness monster has been sighted!

Althought the monster was spotted in 2011, the 2012 full line catalog is strangely missing the G2 w/entended magazine. sigh; I will just have to pick up some Pearce pinky estensions. It ain't the rounds, it the grip length and I know some of you have grip adaptations but I PREFER A LONGER GRIP TO FIT ME rather than change my grip to fit the pistol. But it is a great little pistol in any case... geesh, I am starting to sound like a whiner. I don't mean to as it is a great shooter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Loch Ness Monster AND Bigfoot!. Nothing but blurry photos, rumors, and vague descriptions. I just ordered the Pearce extension form Amazon today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts