Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
i am really considering reloading my brass now as 9mm ammo is outrageos, however, i need help form you guys. I have plenty of time, so what would be a decent reloader and tumbler for under 250 or am i being unreasonable im not really sure on the process but i just rented the ABC's of reloading and plan to read that. any tips would be good and what is a standard light load for target using wwb brass.

thanks guys

Administrator
I don't reload 9mm anymore, but to stay under $250 you might want to check into single stage presses. I got a Frankford Arsenal tumbler from Midway a long time ago for about $40 bucks as I recall. It's cleaned a lot of brass and still goin' strong. Lee may make the least expensive single stage presses. :thumb:

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
is it worth it to reload 9mm or do you not save very much per box

Registered
Not counting brass or bullets it about $3 per 100 primers, $1-2 for powder for 100 rnds, the big part is the bullets, plain lead bullets can be found for $5/100, so total cost is about $9/100. Jacketed bullets up the cost quite a bit.

With $250 you could get a Lee turret set up, and enought stuff to load 500-1000 rnds.

See the "Progressive Reloader" post started by Bubba down a couple lines for eqiupment.

Last I looked Cabelas had the Lee Classic Turret press on sale for less than 100, there's a couple add on's that I'd recommend, mainly the adjustable powder bar or Autodisk pro update kit or something like that. Might have to go to Lee directly for the add on's. Cabellas or Midway is cheaper for the Kits' though.

I picked up my tumbler locally as price was the same but avoided shipping.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
june first wwb is taking another price increase to $20 at walmart, but it sounds like even with the increase the supplies with jacketed bullets is fifteen so i dont really save that much due to the cost of the reloader and i will eventually have to buy brass.

thanks for the replies.

Registered
Prices are getting bad, have you tried either site below? They're the best prices I've seen. There's a guy on Gunbroker.com that sells Speer GDHP in bulk really cheap but won't ship to my state, Speer shoots best out of my PT111.

http://www.ammoman.com/

or

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/

Super Moderator
The Lee auto indexing turret (don't have one, but a friend does) is WELL under your budget and loads quite fast with less complication than the various progressives. I have a Dillon square deal for 9mm and a Lee Pro 1000 and still think I might get an auto indexing turret press. It loads one case at a time instead of having four cases in the shell plate (or three in the Pro 1000) and is easier to keep track of. You can knock out a couple hundred rounds an hour with it when you get used to it and still paying attention to details. I think it's an excellent way to get started.

You REALLY want savings, consider casting.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
hah lol i actually do cast at my job, i cast pewter tile in lays and brass prices are ridiculous to cast bullets and the mold would be $500 the problem with brass is that it creates to much slag that you lose too much material, i have researched and thought about it though.

anyways thanks for the tips i will look at the lee reloader mentioned, does any one have good loads for target shooting, something light and easy for beginner.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
brass casing not bullets. in the previous post

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
i cant seem to find the lee auto indexing turret on midway usa can you provide a link or tell me where to find it

thanks

Registered
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=622290&t=11082005

This is what you want.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=lee+turret&noImage=0

Get a set of 4 lee dies with factory taper crimp die and your set. Oh and a reloading manual, pick a load once you get the book.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...ode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=lee+9mm+dies&noImage=0

Last thing would be a caliper to measure/adjust Overall Cartige Length, the just powder, primers & bullets.

There a couple nice to add things later, but not needed up front.
David

Registered
If you got time the Lee loaders are great, their dies are as good as anyones. The tumbler Smokewagon said is great I bought one also. I just got back into reloading myself, and started buying stuff from midway and the gun shows little by little. I took my time and had stuff for along time before I used it. I can tell you now I can't believe how much some of the stuff has jumped in the last year alone. I could have sold mine never opened for a profit.
So it ain't gonna get cheaper ! Lee anniversary kit is a good starter unless your in a hurry or gonna load 1,000 rounds at one sitting. Their case trimmers are easy, cheap, one for each round, put in a drill, and dont have to set up trimmer each time, etc. The dies will load as good as any at less than 1/2 price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts