Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok me and my wife are going to the range saturday.we got 2 new 9mm 24/7 pros 3 weeks agoand have not been able to fire them yet due to us working or rain.this will be our first time to the range (i have shoot on my friends ranch but we have never been to a gun range.what do you bring with you? how much time do you stay?how many rounds do you use? hoy many targets do you go though?things like that.i am planning on taking both guns,small clear tool box that hold my bullets targets some gun oil,camera,our safety glasses,ear muffs,keys,stapple gun for targets and also some water to drink.
thanks

·
Registered
212 Posts
My wife will shoot about 50 rounds, I'll normally shoot 200. Just take as much ammo as you think you'll shoot. They normally sell ammo at the range, so you can pick up more if needed. It's normally a couple of bucks more at the range, but it's convenient. The ranges we use here, you can stay as long as you wish. We just stay until we've shot as much as we want.....which is usually about 1 - 1.5 hours. As far as targets, that's totally up to you. I'll shoot about 40 rounds pre target (depends on the type of target). I have a friend that only gets one. He just keeps shooting the same hole and figures that if he can keep putting lead through the hole, he's doing what he should. Our ranges sell drinks, you can take your own. Ear muffs and safety glasses will be required, though you can normally buy or rent them there. A tool/gun is handy to carry everything. Take your pistols in unloaded. They should have a list of range rules, be sure to read and follow them (they are for everyones safety).

Don't forget to have fun.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The closest range to me is indoors and charges by the half hour. I can typically bust off 200-250 rounds in half an hour and use 4-5 targets.

·
Registered
122 Posts
i usually go through a modest 100 rounds while at the range. If I feel like splurging then I will do 150. Otherwise it is just too damn expensive with ammo prices going up! Its almost cheaper to burn up a gallon of fuel then shooting 1 round! :D

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Most of my shooting now is done at work. I'll head to the range after my tour is over and spend an hour or two there. I probably shoot close to 500 rounds per session.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
well there are few ranges near by.. people keep trying to shutdown the indoor ranges because of noise and "omg gunz are scary"

im not aware of any wooded areas to shoot since im a city dweller.

there are ranges at the public parks but only they dont open till march and are a good 30min drive 1 way.

The indoor range i've been going to i 8bucks per 30mins, 7 bucks if your a member.

you can have 2 people on the lane at a time you pay the same regardless if you have 1 or 2 people.. can even have more but they have to wait off the line.

it's a dinky little place thats been there since the 70's iirc.. use to be nothing more then a road and a few buildings and the range.. now a lot of houses and businesses have been built around it and now are trying to close it down, why the hell did you build your house next to a range if you dont like it *rolls eyes*

I always take my 92 and a .22lr with me.. but i've been known to take a lot more then that.

I usually shoot 100-150 rounds with my 92 (9mm), then i switch over to the S&W 22a (22lr)
no set amount on the .22 i just shoot till im done which is usually 1 1/2hr's.. although last time i went i was there for 4 hours.. but some of that time was spent waiting for a lane and i had a lot of friends and family there it was 1st weekend after Christmas.

I use a lot of targets usually wont shoot one more then 30 times before changing..
i also try different firing speeds and i usually also try a mag for 1hand shooting with both left and right.. so i use a fresh target on those also.. rapid fire i'll also use a fresh target.

for 22 i like bulls eye targets for 9mm i like silhouettes, im not a hunter so the only game im interested in is two legged kind.

Always take twice as much ammo as i expect to shoot just in case i need it i never buy the ammo at the range.

I take some hoppes with me if someone needs a bit of oil i dont take a whole cleaning kit.
I also take a sharpe so i can mark my targets and i always take my uplula loader, never leave home without it :p

oh and i always take a large jar or other container with me to collect brass, they have brooms and dust pans there to sweep up.. most people dont sweep their lane after they leave, 2 large trash cans to donate to the range not sure what they do with it.. but what ever i sweep up i keep.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts