Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loading Berry's 115 gr hollow base 9mm tomorrow with IMR PB powder... Will be my first ever 9mm reloading.

I hear the hollow base helps the bullet expand to create a nice seal against the bore upon ignition.

looking forward to some time on the press (re loading press... Not bench press ;) )

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,883 Posts
Reloading :thumb: and my favorite flavor :p

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Reloading is one of my favorite hobbies. I shoot just to get the brass so I can reload!

Reactions: jonboy and gbusmech

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Enjoy your new adventure and be safe.:thumb::thumb:

·
Administrator
35,174 Posts
I've got two or three large ziploc bags of cleaned, deprimed 9mm brass with the primer pocket already cleaned out. I just haven't gotten back around to loading 9mm yet. Since my son started carrying his Glock 21 at work, I'm loading much more 45 acp lately. One of these days though, I'll get to using all of that brass. 8)

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Loading Berry's 115 gr hollow base 9mm tomorrow with IMR PB powder... Will be my first ever 9mm reloading.

I hear the hollow base helps the bullet expand to create a nice seal against the bore upon ignition.

looking forward to some time on the press (re loading press... Not bench press ;) )
9mm is one calibers I like the least to reload. Head spaces on the case mouth not the rim like a .38 or .44 makes them fussy in my opinion. You got to watch the crimp, overall and case length to make sure they will be happy in a autoloader. Whereas a old fashoned rimed case you just make sure the case ain't split an you load er up. But that hollow base bullet might make a 9mm cartridge more accurate in .38/357 six gun that has a spare cylinder for 9mm due to the normal bullet dia of .356 for 9mm and .357/8 for a .357 mag. I reckon it may be worth a try....

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
9mm can be touchy depending on the gun. OAL is never as written in the reloading manual because it depends on each gun as to which OAL it will like for that bullet. I load several different loads with slightly different OAL and see which one my guns like, save a round that works the best for measurement and then load at that OAL.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
You have me green with envy! I have been away from my reloading bench to long. Barry's make fantastic bullets for range use. Of course they want the speed to be no more than 1250 fps.

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
I like reloading 9mm, need to keep those PT-99's fed properly. Last time I reloaded 9mm I did a couple of hours each night until I had 1000 done. Time to start thinking about setting up to do 9mm soon.

Reactions: jonboy

·
Administrator
35,174 Posts
A good investment for any caliber is a headspacing gauge. I have one for 9mm and it comes in handy, especially with lead bullets. It looks like a steel cylinder that you drop the round into, and if the dimensions are correct, the round will lay all the way inside the cylinder. If the case rim sticks out, then there is a problem.

Reactions: gbusmech

·
Registered
227 Posts
I like reloading the 9mm, use Berry 124gr round nose with AA5, excellent powder IMO gives a reduced recoil very noticeable in small auto's, also I use the Lee factory crimp die setup at a 4th station ammo comes out like factory my guns function great with that process.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I like reloading the 9mm, use Berry 124gr round nose with AA5, excellent powder IMO gives a reduced recoil very noticeable in small auto's, also I use the Lee factory crimp die setup at a 4th station ammo comes out like factory my guns function great with that process.
Be careful using the Lee Factory Crimp Die. It is designed for jackets bullets, not lead. It literally resizes the case (and the bullet inside). I use it to remove the bell but no more when using lead bullets.

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Administrator
35,174 Posts
Be careful using the Lee Factory Crimp Die. It is designed for jackets bullets, not lead. It literally resizes the case (and the bullet inside). I use it to remove the bell but no more when using lead bullets.
With most 9mm bullets, as well as 45acp, a very light taper crimp is all that's needed for the lead bullets. Most of the time, you don't even have to bother with the jacketed bullets, although I usually run it through there just to be sure.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
9mm can be touchy depending on the gun. OAL is never as written in the reloading manual because it depends on each gun as to which OAL it will like for that bullet. I load several different loads with slightly different OAL and see which one my guns like, save a round that works the best for measurement and then load at that OAL.
good suggestion!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts