Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have been doing some research and have narrowed down either the Millenium Pro 9mm or .40. This is my first weapon purchase in my adult life. I will be using it for home defense and eventually CCW. What should I expect to have purchase seperately to keep my weapon in tip top shape? Looking for more of the maintainence supplies etc. Also what will come with the weapon, I am planning to purchase it at Academy Sports if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your time!

Dave

Administrator
Academy sells basic cleaning kits with all you'll need for starting out. Solvents, oils, the works. After you've used the firearm awhile, you can then decide on specialty cleaning items, if needed.

Congrats on your decision to become a firearms owner and responsible carrier! :thumb:

Reactions: TexasAviator

Registered
I agree with Smoke. I bought a "cheap" kit from Academy when I bought my 24/7 and still use it today. It got the job done for the price and if something broke or I ran out, I'd just replace it with a quality piece. Everything but the cleaner, rod and one bore brush I still use from the original kit.

Registered
Hey.....Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins..

Registered
Welcome, Dave! And might I suggest the 9mm. Milpro's are small pistols, and as such are more difficult to shoot well than full size models. The 40 cal round is notoriously snappy, and can be bit much for new shooters in a small package. There are plenty of good 9mm SD rounds available, and the recoil will be far less objectionable. Cheaper to shoot, too. JAT

Member Emeritus 1946-2018
Welcome to the forum!

A Millennium Pro pistol will be a great investment.

I've owned two MilPros (PT138~.380 and a PT111~9mm) and they have been rock-solid dependable and are amazing accurate at self defense distances.

001 - MILLENNIUM PRO PT138 with mag.JPG 008 - Millennium Pro PT111.b.JPG

In fact, I'm such a fan of the MilPro line of pistols that I have a PT145 on the way to my FFL dealer, which I hope to pick up by Saturday.

Attachments

Registered
Welcome and enjoy be careful though this place can be addictive like firearm ownership once you start you can't stop. :)

Reactions: bre346

Registered
Welcome from New Mexico, you will find a lot of good folks here.

Registered
Yeah.. what they all said! :D

All I'll add, is welcome from north Texas!

Registered
Welcome from East Texas, Dave.

Premium Member
I tote a Mil Pro PT-145 and it has been a damn dependable little smoke pole and Welcome to the forum.

1.1 USA.gif

Registered
I like Academy for their Southern Bloomers patches. I think Walmart has better prices for Breakfree CLP or Remoil. Gander Mountain seems to have a wider variety of shooting accessories.

Registered
Welcome from WV, I have a PT140 and I love it but like others have said, the 9mm round is much cheaper and is a good pistol, with nowhere near the recoil of the 40 from what I hear. I plan on buying a 9mm sometime.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the input! I am leaning towards the 9mm for all those reasons to. I just hear the ego saying go big! LOL

Registered
Thanks for all the input! I am leaning towards the 9mm for all those reasons to. I just hear the ego saying go big! LOL
Shop around a bit for ranges too. Try and find one that rents firearms. There are a couple near me that do and they have a great selection usually.

You can try everything from models in 45 acp, to .380, to 9,mm to .40 S&W and everything in between at the ones near me. That way you can get an idea of what you like, or if that doesn't work, find a friend who shoots and tell him you'll but a couple boxes of ammo and pay his range fee, I'm guessing he won't turn you down!

Personally I prefer .45 acp and in my collection I'm kinda anti 9mm, I don't own any. But it's all about what you like the best, if it goes bang and hits where you point it, it's a good firearm in my opinion.

One word of warning, don't buy a 1911! They are a contagious disease, they breed like rabbits! Soon you will be thinking you need another 1911.... Just a warning from someone infected with the 1911 bug! ;):D

Have fun shopping!

Registered
Then you need to check out the PT145.

Seriously, you can't go wrong with any of the MilPro's.

Welcome to the forum!

Registered
Since it's your first, why not go for a full-sized model like the PT809 or PT24/7? I have heard suggestions about the PT92 as a first full-caliber handgun too. Its weight helps reduce felt recoil.

You did mention eventual use for concealed carry, but funds permitting, you can get a more compact model subsequently. Your handgun is the cheapest component of this interest in shooting. You'll end up spending that many times over in ammo, range fees, etc.

Try and find a range that has handguns you're interested in for rent. No buyer's remorse that way!

Registered
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine" state.

You'll find lots of PT111 fans here including your's truly; like em so much I bought two.

Since it's your first handgun I'd suggest going with the lighter recoiling cheaper to feed 9mm PT111.

Then go to the Millennium Pro section of this forum and read all the posts before heading out to the range.

They'll give you some good how to advice and things to look for as well.

These subcompacts are the corvetts of the breed and require a firm and consistent grip to give the gun enough resistance to properly cycle the slide for reliability.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts