Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was so excited on Sunday to finally get out to the range and put some bullets through the barrel of my PT145. I read a bunch of reviews about it pre-firing and most said the recoil was manageable and that it's a very reliable gun. I just wanted to get a feel so I brought a box of 230 grain Federal FMJs, and the three magazines that came with it(2 pro mags and the Taurus mag).
I tried all three mags and I must say the ProMags were IMO horrible. I had a nose dive after every second shot. I thought it was probably me so I tried the other pro mag. Same problem.
I read the pistol isn't very forgiving about limp wristing so I thought it may be error on my part so I loaded up the Taurus mag again and and tried it and it did nose dive once but every other bullet chambered fine.
So thinking I was the problem I loaded up the pro mags again and tried some more. Same thing constant nose diving after every shot. Load the Taurus mag back up and no nose dives at all the second time or third time. Quick bursts or taking my time with the shot I didn't have any more problems with the Taurus mag.
BUT I must say for me the recoil was a tad much, but it did get better with time. My hope is if I shoot it enough it will become more manageable but I'm still not sure I shouldn't downgrade to a smaller pistol(so confused because this is my first pistol purchase besides 2 revolvers I owned).
The skinny is I paid $325 for the gun, and 2 additional pro mags. Seems like a good deal to me but I can't understand why the pro mags gave me so many problems and the Taurus mag was relatively fine. I also want to be confident that if the SHTF that my pistol is ready to fire more than one bullet.

I guess my questions are should I perhaps trade out of this gun for a smaller caliber or a gun more forgiving?
Does the recoil become more manageable with more experience?
Is there some sort of problems with these pro mags that causes them to nose dive bullets more often?

Any answers would be appreciated, as this is my first weapon other than a revolver and I'm really a novice shooter and I don't know any avid shooters or pistoleros so the internet is one of my few resources for knowledge. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Pro mags generally suck in a PT145. I've got one of their 14 rounders, and it acts the same way. For some reason the bullets really like the pro mag, and just don't want to come out I guess. So you can take comfort in the fact that it's about a 99% probability that the pro mags caused the problems.

A firm push pull grip with about 60% of your concentration on pulling back low on the grip with your non-firing hand is your best friend when it comes to controlling the recoil on a PT145. And I don't recommend trying to hold it down by putting your non-firing index finger around the front of the trigger guard - it'll never stay there. My advice is practice the push/pull grip, and shoot it more. You'll get used to it.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I never bought the Promag's for my PT145 because most buyers complained they did not work well. The PT145 needs a firm grip and it doesn't like limpwristing. Try the PT111, you might like it better.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
9mm will recoil a bit less, but don't step down to a 40 and expect less recoil - you'll get a surprise when you find out it's snappier than a 45. 9mm's and 40's have a chamber pressure of 35,000 psi, while a 45 acp has a chamber pressure of 21,000 psi. Most will tell you a 45 is more of a firm push, while the 40 has a definite snap. The 9mm does too, but the projectile weighs so much less the recoil isn't as punishing. As far as that goes though, short barreled guns ALWAYS recoil harder than longer barreled weapons.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Perhaps finding a local handloader to work up some LSWC target laods to get used to the gun is a good idea...I shoot all low power loads for practice, though I do test 50 rounds of my carry ammo to be sure, then back to light loads...no reason to beat yourself or your gun up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts