Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran 8 mags through my new, never fired before 24/7 OSS DS Saturday. Remington UMC 230 gr FMJ went fine, but Federal Champion 230 gr FMJ gave me about 10 failures to feed. Shot all the same ammo from my PT145 mil pro - no hiccups whatsoever. I picked up the rounds that wouldn't feed, casings a little bent up but I loaded them into an empty mag and they ran ok on the second attempt through the 24/7. I have only owned these two Taurus guns, but the PT145 never had any issue from the beginning. Is this normal break-in stuff for my 24/7, or is this Federal ammo to be avoided?

Thanks.

·
Registered
36,588 Posts
50 rounds of ammo through a new gun is nowhere near enough to even loosen the weapon up, much less make a determination on what ammo it likes/dislikes.
and of course the age old question with any Brazilian made Taurus , did you throughly clean the weapon prior to shooting it?
if its an OSS its been likely sitting somewhere for a considerable amount of time with that thick old shipping grease they put in it.
IF after say 4-500 rounds then if it chokes on a particular ammo then avoid that ammo.
enjoy they are fine weapons.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. Yes, I cleaned the gun thoroughly the day I got it. I never expected that I've put enough rounds through it to properly break it in, but I was a little worried only because my mil pro never choked on a single round and I have around 400 through it so far.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Glad you like your OSS. I have one in 9mm. There is a guy locally with a OSS in 45 for sale that I am having a hard time keeping my hands off of.

·
Registered
250 Posts
My satisfaction with the PT145 I purchased last year led to me buying a 24/7 OSS DS in .45 a few months later. Never had a problem with either of them using factory ammo. I ran close to 500 rds each through them before I started to carry them.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I picked up the rounds that wouldn't feed, casings a little bent up but I loaded them into an empty mag and they ran ok on the second attempt through the 24/7.
Perhaps this was the problem.

If you have anymore ammo where the casings are dented or bent, just toss them aside and use them for target practice after you've "proven" your new OSS.

I've never had any issue with mine, and it shoots better than I do. :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts