Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. I just ordered some 40cal hard cast. First time loading up lead and 40 cal. Any tips to help a novice 40 lead loader out?
you know. Just what to look out for?

I have been reloading 9mm fmj for about 2 years now and they work pretty well.. Still, I don't wanna foul up my bore here so, any pointers would be welcomed.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
When shooting outdoors, lead bullets are all I run down the pipe of my PT840. Been using 180 grain lubed pills over Unique with little to no leading. If on the rare occasion I see any traces of lead, I swab the bore with good old Hoppes #9, let it set for about 10/15 minutes and run a brass brush through it until all traces of lead are gone.

Check your loading manual for loads covering lead bullets and always use the suggested starting loads.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do you lube it with.. before or after you seat them?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
If you're buying cast bullets they should be lubed already. Try to keep the FPS around 1000 to prevent leading the barrel. What Flinger said is good advice! I used to load 40 cal for my 24/7 but sold it to fund another project. 40 can be tricky to load if you're not vigilant! Stay low with the charges & watch your OAL doesn't get too short!

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
If for any reason not lubed from supplier, tumble lube before you seat them with Lee’s liquid Alox. Check youtube for a bunch of ways to do it. Sorry, got to go - wife is waiting in the car.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys

·
Registered
896 Posts
If you buy your cast bullets from a supplier, They will have a colored band which is the lube.

If you cast your own, You have to lube them yourself. As for the OAL, Since you load 9mm, The same rule applies here. Watch that OAL. It can get erratic if you set to the bullet....Excuse me, BOOLIT (lol) to deep. Follow your manuals guide on this when it comes to seating them. Also, You lube before you seat them.

One more thing, You need to clean out your seating die after a while. Some of the lube will stay in there changing your OAL all of a sudden. I would just clean it out after each session. Perhaps 50-100 rounds?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts