Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter #1
Where did you try out your first time, legal concealed carry?
Did you select your site for the ultimate test? I think a huggy feely church is the ultimate in that regard. :angel:

Walmart seems to be the standard testing ground, but mine wasn't Walmart. It was the feed store down the road. I just sort of went on about my normal routine. Armed. Second place was a restaurant in town. Don't remember much after that. (No they don't serve alchohol if that's what your thinkin'.) :devil:

Registered
I have not yet carried in public, legally or otherwise, as I have not received my license yet.

I do normally have a sidearm on me, concealed, in my residence and my courtelage, though.

Should be receiving my license in a few weeks' time. No idea where I'll carry first. Still trying to figure out the HOW.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #3
Taurus_Jeeper said:
I have not yet carried in public, legally or otherwise, as I have not received my license yet.

I do normally have a sidearm on me, concealed, in my residence and my courtelage, though.

Should be receiving my license in a few weeks' time. No idea where I'll carry first. Still trying to figure out the HOW.
Don't worry about the how, too much. It'll be easier than you think. :thumb:

Registered
not in this climate. It's about to heat up drastically down here, and I typically wear shorts and a tshirt then.

Couple that with, I need to lose some weight- there's not a lot of room left for a sidearm. I'm testing out the Desantis Smartcarry now for that use.

Registered
My first time was when I graduated the NYC Police Academy at the age of 21.
It was with a S&W Model 36 in my uncle's pizzeria in Brooklyn.

Registered
Okay, I'll nibble.

I didn't carry for a long time once my cop reciprocity expired (retired, moved, new sheriff, blah, blah, blah). Always able to defend myself and property, but didn't carry in public. After watching the evolution of the Minnesota Personal Protection Act, I became interested in exercising my right as a private citizen. I quickly secured my carry permit (which in Minnesota allows for open and/or concealed carry of all legal handguns, rifles and shotguns), and added to my modest collection with a new 9mm 24/7 Pro C. The first day on the way to work, my wife and I had to turn around due to inclement weather and ended up at the local Embers Restaurant for breakfast. I carried openly and nary garnered a look. Granted, it's hard to shake the G-man look I have despite the beard now and extra pounds, so a sidearm with my dress attire is not much of a head-turner. You could consider my carrying as casual concealment. If in jeans and a tee shirt, I'll have a windbreaker or open shirt. If in normal business attire, I just wear open and go about my business. Most local LEO's just nod or offer the gratuitous (mock) salute - even guys I don't know. So far I'm still alive.

(Doesn't hurt I still drive a converted Suburban and have my K9 with me most of the time; probably don't even need the firepower! :D But, I do, because I can.)

Registered
Smokewagon said:
Walmart seems to be the standard testing ground
Though I don't recall for sure, it likely was on a trip to Walmart and Sams Club. They were the first place I had errands to run after my permit showed up in the mail. I haven't left my PT145 at home since then.

Premium Member
Some time in the next week or so, my package should come from KSP, then I get to go pick up ccdw from sheriff's office. I plan to carry the first week shopping, (but I will not be going to the gun shop that week). I already carry until I enter my truck, then it goes in the glove box (per the law here in KY).
I find my gun rides right under my elbow and fore arm, so it will not be very noticable.

Registered
NYPD - I was at Phoenix Airport week ago Sunday morning and again on Thursday afternoon; 90-minute layovers going to and from Vegas. If I had had your number, I would have called you to impress my friends with the fact that I knew someone in AZ. ;D Irony is, I knew a LOT of folks in AZ at one time, but they've pretty much all expired now.

Back on thread...

Registered
Long Ago LEO said:
NYPD If I had had your number, I would have called you to impress my friends with the fact that I knew someone in AZ. ;D
The impressive part would have been that you knew a NYC transplant in Arizona.

Registered
The first time legal carry, last Friday, I went to my new house, I'm moving this week, stopped at a small grocery store to get some pop for the house, and came home. We had a heavy rainstorm which cut my trip short. The next day, it was off to Walmart. Been in many places since.

Yesterday was the first time I encountered a CPZ. My wife wanted to stop at the local Goodwill store, and they had the sign. I needed to come in with her, as she is partially disabled, and I would need to carry the things she bought. I have a locking console in my van, and deposited my 605 in there as we shopped.

Registered
First place was at my parent's place. I carried open. For concealled carry it was probably Wally World. I carry everywhere I legally can so I don't remember the specifics.

Registered
Wal-mart for me, then McDonalds for dinner. Not that McDonalds is much of a dinner but sometimes we have to take what we can get in a hurry :)

Registered
I don't recall exactly. I just went about my normal business after I got mine. So my first legal concealed carry was probably at work & the Dollar General next door. I did make a trip to the Nashville Airport soon after just getting my permit. The wife and I were catching a flight to NYC. I wasn't about to take my gun with me up there. So, I disassembled my PT92 and stashed the parts in various places in my truck. :) I almost forgot where I put them all when I got back.

Registered
McDonald's for lunch and then to Wal-Mart. Had to do shopping.

Registered
Doctor_Venkman - That is pretty funny; puts a new twist on Easter. I think with all the cops in my family, we should try this next year and see if we can get everyone's firearms located and reassembled before Easter dinner! Screw that low-reward egg hunt stuff. :D

Registered
Walmart seems to be the place of choice here. A guy I work with made Walmart his first carry outing too.

Registered
Didn't have a holster or any of my current fav. carry guns, so just stuck a
little Rossi 38 in my cargo shorts. McDonald's - Tampa, FL

Registered
Costco for me in Denver. There had been a history of parking lot "disturbances" with drug-related stuff. Local PO's took care of that pronto, but it did establish my carry habit. (already had a permit, was just a little skittish at first) Funny how "carrying" makes you more alert to whatever is happening. Think it was that NRA instructor and also an increased sense of responsibility.

smit

1 - 20 of 27 Posts