Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if you would call it a drop or not... Long story short, came home and took my gun (holster and all) off my belt and sat it on the edge of my tub. Its flat and about 5-6" wide. Well before I could sit down to ummmm, ya know, the gun fell and hit with a loud thud. No bang! :)

The gun was pointed in the general direction of my wife who was in the kitchen. The gun falling didn't scare me when it happened but thinking of the possible injury my wife might have received caused me some concern.

So what about y'all? Ever had a loaded weapon fall or drop out of your hands?

Creek

Ps- my holstered weapon will now sit on the floor from the get go !!!

·
Registered
16,953 Posts
I can honestly say I have never sat my gun on the edge of my tub.
I come home and I go to my safe, unload the gun and put it in it's place.
Then I take a bath.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also do not bathe with a pistol. I was in there for other reasons! Lol

Creek

·
Super Moderator
13,808 Posts
Your incident is one of the reasons I currently carry double-action only pistols. If it isn't cocked, it can't fire. Your mileage (read that, "preference") may vary.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I also do not bathe with a pistol. I was in there for other reasons! Lol

Creek
Glad to hear all was well. I was just about to say that I hear Glocks float like dial soap. LOL:D

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I have. Only damage was a few deep gouges in the slide. Not fun. I'm under the impression that most modern firearms can withstand some amount of impact without discharging. I won't be making it a point to put that to the test though.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
The only time I dropped a loaded gun was over 30 years ago, I was walking through the woods and I tripped and the gun fell to the side and forward of me. In that the safety was on (one that worked) it did not discharge, and if it had, it was pointed away from me and my son was behind me about 5 feet. All turned out well, but it could have been a bad situation if I had not left the safety on while walking through the woods.

Reactions: kschilk

·
Registered
21,110 Posts
I've never dropped a gun. I've unintentionally discharge a rifle in a blind when I was 10 but have never dropped one

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using TapatalkI

Reactions: kschilk

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,873 Posts
There are two kinds, those that have, and those that are going to. This applies to people too. :)

·
Registered
18,575 Posts
I can't recall ever dropping a gun but I had a rifle leave me one time. It was the first day of buck season, my first year hunting. I was standing and had an old Model 94 Winchester 30-30...barrel down and with the receiver resting on my right forearm (hammer was in the half-cocked safety position). After awhile, the weight of the ol' 94 was digging the receiver into my arm so I just shifted it a tad by slightly wiggling my arm. I stood there motionless for a few minutes when suddenly, there was a large "boom"! When I looked down, my rifle was gone and there was a large hole in the ground, less than an inch in front of my right boot. After a bit of searching, I found my rifle laying on the ground about 20 feet behind me and luckily, not even scratched.

After some investigating, I figured out how my gun had "gone off" all by itself (supposedly). There was nothing wrong with the rifle but in the process of checking it out, I discovered a pulled and broken thread on the right arm of my hunting jumpsuit. When I shifted the rifle on my arm, the hammer had apparently caught on the thread and as the rifle slid slightly forward, pulled out of the safety position. The thread held for a few minutes before it finally broke and discharged the gun. That was also the only accidental discharge of a gun I've ever had.

Reactions: Texheim

·
Registered
21,110 Posts
I can't recall ever dropping a gun but I had a rifle leave me one time. It was the first day of buck season, my first year hunting. I was standing and had an old Model 94 Winchester 30-30...barrel down and with the receiver resting on my right forearm (hammer was in the half-cocked safety position). After awhile, the weight of the ol' 94 was digging the receiver into my arm so I just shifted it a tad by slightly wiggling my arm. I stood there motionless for a few minutes when suddenly, there was a large "boom"! When I looked down, my rifle was gone and there was a large hole in the ground, less than an inch in front of my right boot. After a bit of searching, I found my rifle laying on the ground about 20 feet behind me and luckily, not even scratched.

After some investigating, I figured out how my gun had "gone off" all by itself (supposedly). There was nothing wrong with the rifle but in the process of checking it out, I discovered a pulled and broken thread on the right arm of my hunting jumpsuit. When I shifted the rifle on my arm, the hammer had apparently caught on the thread and as the rifle slid slightly forward, pulled out of the safety position. The thread held for a few minutes before it finally broke and discharged the gun. That was also the only accidental discharge of a gun I've ever had.
What did you find in your drawers?

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using TapatalkI

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Very early on in my concealed carry life I had my PT709 and the cheap Blackhawk holster, or whatever brand it was, along with no proper carry belt, fall out as I was crouching down to get something out of range bag on to a concrete floor. There was no discharge and no damage to the gun!

·
Registered
18,575 Posts
What did you find in your drawers?

Actually, I was a bit oblivious to the whole deal. I heard a shot and it sounded real close...:blink:...but not that close! I actually noticed the hole in the ground before I realized my gun was gone....:mellow:...never felt a thing when it went.

Reactions: Texheim

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Scared the crap out of me, literally, the first time I dropped my LCP on the bathroom floor. Thank God for modern technology.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Haha well I now know how you felt. I'm just glad I was already seated :eek:

Hopefully this will be my one and only time dropping my weapon. But apparently I'm a slow learner because earlier I laid my knife on the same tub! Lol

Creek

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
I dropped one once while cleaning it. It was unloaded and my hands were oily. As I picked it up from the bench and the front sight snagged the towel it was laying on and it pulled out of my fingers, bounced onto the bench and onto the floor. Nice little S & W Model 60. Fortunately, no damage as there was a piece of carpet in front of the bench on the floor. That was 1987. Haven't dropped on since.

Reactions: CreekFisher
1 - 17 of 17 Posts