Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first handgun and I really like the 24/7 OSS 9mm but have been reading about the fact that it shoots low and left. I plan on learning to shoot on this gun and wondered if this is a good idea to start with a gun that might have a know problem. I know next to nothing about handguns and would really welcome any suggestions.

·
Registered
29,948 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't concern myself with "blanket statements" about any guns shooting low & left, that's just so much BS.

There are too many variables involved in shooting to do so, and most of the time it's "pilot error".

The 24/7 line are good guns, but if you're going to also be considering concealed carry somewhere down the line you might want to look at the equally good Millennium Pro series.

I'd suggest finding a good instructor to teach you the basics first. Go slow, be patient and don't get caught up in the "equipment race".

Will and Skill wins gun fights not the latest wizbang wondergun & magic bullets.

MOONDAWG

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm one of those low&left reporters, but it was only my inexperienced trigger handling. The 'low' part is that you need to aim correctly for the sights on OSS. Do not put the front sight below the target. You need to aim with the front sight white dot right on the target. 'Left' part is you need to just learn to shoot. Plus if the sight is not correctly adjusted in the factory, fix that first. I have not heard that anyone else has had this sight adjustment problem, so probably was just my gun.

All in all I'm very happy with my OSS 9mm. Just passed IPSC safety examination with it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a 24/7 pro 9mm that I am very happy with. Have not had much problem with the low and to the left issue, my only problem occurs after 15 yard (but thats my eysight not the gun.) I think as long as you have correct trigger pull it should not be a problem. I think it is a great choice for a first time shooter, easy to operate, comfortable in the hand, and quality built. The trigger took some getting used too though, it has some play in it but very light pull maybe 5-6 lbs. I do not have CHL yet so can't comment on that. I believe the OSS comes in different color options, which may be of interest (tan.)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A little more information. I live in Maryland so getting a carry permit isn't really an option so that is one reason I was looking for a full size gun. I was also looking at the 24/7 9mm long slide but after talking to a few dealers they said they liked the OSS models. Any feedback on the long slide model?

·
Registered
350 Posts
i just got a PT 24/7 PRO DS 9mm last weekend, havent got to shoot it much, with it being cold, windy, and raining off and on since i got it. But from what i have shot, i really like it.comes with 2 17rd clips, super sweeet gun i would say.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Also, i was just lookin at the case it came in, and it says PT 24/7 4" SS. Very accurate gun imo, i just gotta do some practice with it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
counselormatt, I just bought my first handgun and it's a 24/7 OSS .40 S&W. I can't say if its a good starter or not because my work schedule has kept me from visiting the range. I'm thinking about quitting my job because of it...seriously.

Get the OSS over the LS. Every store I talked to said about 45 to 50 percent of all LSs were fouling 30 rnds into their life. The lifetime guarantee will help, but it's still a PITA.

If you can hang on a few days, I'm visiting two ranges this weekend and I'll let you know how it shoots and give you a first time owner impression. There were a lot of exciting words about it online and in the rags, here's hoping it lives up to it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
If you don't have a problem with a full size pistol, then you might want to check out the PT92s as well. Not as pretty as the 24/7s, but very dependable and easy to clean and maintain. I am definately glad I got my 92 as my first.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The 24/7 Pro or 24/7 OSS would be a great first handgun. It comes with all the great features I was looking for: manual safety, single action, high mag capacity, adjustable sights, security system, comfortable grip, etc. etc.

It's a very reliable and accurate gun, and the price leaves you plenty of money to get some ammo and enjoy it. For the $200 you'll save from not buying and XD, you can have 500 rounds and a 4 or 5 trips to the range.

·
Registered
56 Posts
counselormatt said:
Sure let me know what you think after the trip to the range. I'd like some first hand feedback.
Just put my first 200 rounds through and here's my report. At first I was disappointed. The first four or five magazines were all over the place. I had misfeeds on at least the first four mags as well. The Blazer Brass 165 grain was jamming itself into the top of the barrel. So after the first 30 min. I was upset. Then I calmed down and thought about what was going on with the gun and the shooter.

This is my first gun. It took me a few minutes but I realized I'm not going to be a great shooter until I practice and pay attention to what I'm doing. Slowly but surely my groupings were coming together tighter and tighter as I calmed down and made each shot deliberate. My final grouping was 4 shots in 1 inch with one flyer at 25 ft. I did however have to aim about 4 inches high. I'm hoping it was the 165 grain and that 185 grain will fix that.

So my final review? After thinking about the super sweet trigger, the ambi-safety (made shooting with my girlfriend much less nerve racking), the balanced slide (no skyward recoils), and the ability to improve drastically in one day, I'm very pleased with my 24/7 OSS .40 S&W. I'm probably going to have someone look at the sights to see if they can get any better, but otherwise I hope to get into USPSA with it. I'll keep you updated if anything develops but my answer would be, yes, this is a great first gun!

·
22,058 Posts
Uberdude328i said:
counselormatt, I just bought my first handgun and it's a 24/7 OSS .40 S&W. I can't say if its a good starter or not because my work schedule has kept me from visiting the range. I'm thinking about quitting my job because of it...seriously.

Get the OSS over the LS. Every store I talked to said about 45 to 50 percent of all LSs were fouling 30 rnds into their life. The lifetime guarantee will help, but it's still a PITA.

If you can hang on a few days, I'm visiting two ranges this weekend and I'll let you know how it shoots and give you a first time owner impression. There were a lot of exciting words about it online and in the rags, here's hoping it lives up to it.
I have the 9mm LS and compete with it. No fouling after thousands of rounds.
If the LS is fouling the OSS will do the same with the same ammo.

My first auto was a 1st Gen PT92 which I still own. Great first and last auto.
Proven and reliable design and years of use. Nothing better than starting with
an all metal gun with a hammer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for the informative posts, I think that I'm going to be purchasing a 24/7 OSS 9mm in the next few days. After reading around on this site it sounds like its very important to thoroughly clean the gun to get all the shipping grease/oils before taking it to the range. What cleaner works best for this, I had someone tell me that Hopes works well. Also should I be cleaning the trigger assembly and all the internal parts of the gun or just the parts that come out after taking off the slide. I'm glad I came across this website, its been very helpful and I don't even own a gun yet :D Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
So I spoke with my office's resident gun guru and it turns out...that I was...ahem...limp wristing my .40 S&W. So it was really me. Setting the misfeed and poor grouping aside, I'm even more excited about the OSS. And good choice on the 9mm, I think starting at a .40 was a bit ambitious. Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Heya Counsellor. Welcome to TA and the world of pistols, Hope you enjoy them both.

I fully agree with what was said above about the low left thing being user error, however I have found that some guns are much more prone to that error with the majority of users than others are.

I believe it is an attribute of the ergonomics of the grips that causes this (and partially the overall balance of the gun). The low left thing is generally caused by tightening of the middle-pinkie finger while pulling the trigger (or in other words tensing the entire hand rather than just moving the trigger finger). While this can be learned around, if the gun is not comfortable in your hand, due to the grip being too large or shaped wrong, it will be something you will have to fight against all the time. Other guns with a slightly different grip (and I do mean slight, it seems .125 difference in circumference can make a huge difference) may cause that error to never show its face in the first place.

The kicker is, since everyone’s hand is different there’s really no telling if this will be a problem for you with any particular gun until you have a chance to handle it. I don't know if the 24/7's ergonomics make it prone for this issue or not, but the best thing you can do is hold it yourself and figure out if it is comfortable for you. Can you hold it firmly without having to tense your whole arm? While holding it, jerk your hand around a bit, does it want to slip and slide through your grip? Do your fingers reach around the grips far enough that it feels secure and controllable, without feeling like you are putting alot of presure into your fingertips (which can cause shots to drift the other direction)? These are all things that go into the way the gun will handle for you. Pick the gun that fits your hand, and you wont go wrong, regardless as to what any internet experts have to say about brand X,Y and Z (for accuracy that is, reliability is a whole nother story).

As for cleaning, just a field strip and clean is (as far as I know) what is generally recommended. Remove the slide, barrel, etc and clean it all out. Hoppes solvent is good, but I prefer gun scrubber (for no particular reason other than it burns my skin therefore I think it must be awesome). For lube I like the tetra products, a THIN coat of tetra grease on all contact surfaces, and a very light sheen of tetra lube everywhere else and down the barrel. I have heard that spraying a coat of lube into the trigger assembly is actually a bad idea, as that gives residue something to stick to and can gum up the works. Makes sense to me so I leave those areas dry.

Hope some of this helps, and again, welcome to a fun new world!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok I have another question. What brand of ammo should I buy to practice shooting with, is the stuff at walmart ok? Also how many grain ammo should I be buying, does it make a difference?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes it will make a difference and as long as it's not Wal-mart BRAND ammo, it'll fire. There are a lot of opinions about brands and grain loads. Typically, the higher grain load you get, the more "kick" you get which translates to lots of recoil and time spent returning to target. Also, factory loaded (new ammo sold in a store) will typically be cleaner. Factory reloaded stuff has been dirtier in my experience and that means more gunk in the gun throwing things off.

I started with a 165 grain target round and its fine but I think I'm going to try 185 to see if the higher velocity will fix my "shooting low" concern. The other thing is, what kind of shooting are you doing? If you're just shooting to get used to it, buy some cheaper bulk stuff and go to town.

As far as brands, I hear great things about Federal. The Blazer Brass i shot wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible either. And it was cheap.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts