Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm picking up my new 709 slim tomorrow morning when my 3-day hold is up. This is my first gun, and as of last week I'd never fired a gun at all. Went to a range with a friend and I was hooked!

Any advice? I've watched videos on how to clean it, etc. My husband has guns but he's promised to back off and only jump in to help as much as I need. I took an intro to fire arms & shooting class last weekend and I'm doing my CWP class next week but this is all brand new to me. I grew up in a home with my mother and my 3 sisters, and we were just raised to think that guns were dangerous and women had no place handling them!

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Yellow Facial expression Emoticon Text Smile Welcome from the Rust Belt USA....

Lots of how to video's posted here on the forum, browse around some or just wait and someone will surely post you a link.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,426 Posts

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Welcome from Ohio!!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Welcome from another gun friendly state - Missouri!!

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky!

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Hello and welcome to the PT709 Club from Southeast Tennessee;;

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Welcome from Plano TX to the best gun forum on the Internet!

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Welcome from Lapeer,Michigan.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Welcome to TaurusArmed.net from Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Welcome fellow Floridian, enjoy! soon you'll want a second an a third and...ect

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

Glad to see you already have gotten some training. Be sure to commit those safety rules to heart.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Welcome from Iowa! Glad you have kicked old stereotypes to the curb. Women can shoot just as good as the men, and enjoy it just as much!

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Welcome from Indiana! Glad to have you here. My wife carries the 738 and I carry the 709. The 709 will need to be field stripped and cleaned good as Taurus packs them with a shipping substance that needs to be removed prior to firing the weapon. Clean it and lube it and the You Tube videos are a good place to start. Take a look at the magazines too. Take them apart and clean them out, but do not put lube inside the magazine. Take a look at the yellow follower. There may be some protrusions on the plastic piece. Sand them down smooth and make sure when you drop the follower back in the magazine, it moves freely from top to bottom by turning the magazine upside down and back. If it does, reinstall the spring back in with the high point of the spring seated in the follower and toward the front of the magazine where the rounds exit. When you do shoot the 709, finger position is everything on this little gun. Place just the pad of your finger in the trigger, not the first knuckle. This will help in accuracy. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts