Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I'm headed to Chicago, and I'm pretty set on bringing my gun. I think I have most of the rules for flying with a firearm down (gotta declare it, it has to be unloaded in a locked hardshell case, can keep an ammo box in there too etc.). I was just hoping some of you could give me some additional pointers (I'm a noob).

Then there's the issue of Illinois... So I read all the state firearms laws, and basically I just have to leave it in the case is what I gathered. Kinda frustrating as my hotel is in Southside... Let's hope I make it home.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh obviously, I know it has to be in checked bags, I'm not THAT much of a noob

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
What is the point of taking it with you if you know you have to leave it in the case? When I sat in on the CCW class my wife took, the instructor talked about flying into communist cities/states. He basically said just don't do it, to keep from getting yourself tangled up when checking in at the communist airport to fly home. There are also certain localities that have harsher restrictions than just the state laws so you better check on where you are going to be. Also make sure you don't have a laser on your pistol which is considered contraband and will be confiscated.

I would personally not do it. I feel your plight since this summer I will be going to upstate New York for a wedding and would like to travel with something, but am not going to put myself in a position to have to deal with some LEO that takes exception with an out of towner having a pistol in his state.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the point of taking it with you if you know you have to leave it in the case? When I sat in on the CCW class my wife took, the instructor talked about flying into communist cities/states. He basically said just don't do it, to keep from getting yourself tangled up when checking in at the communist airport to fly home. There are also certain localities that have harsher restrictions than just the state laws so you better check on where you are going to be. Also make sure you don't have a laser on your pistol which is considered contraband and will be confiscated.

I would personally not do it. I feel your plight since this summer I will be going to upstate New York for a wedding and would like to travel with something, but am not going to put myself in a position to have to deal with some LEO that takes exception with an out of towner having a pistol in his state.

Yeah... you're probably right. A. I do have a laser (as of today!!!) and B. it's just a weekend, I'll probably be fine. Seriously, when will there be universal conceal carry!!!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Tomorrow I'm headed to Chicago, and I'm pretty set on bringing my gun. I think I have most of the rules for flying with a firearm down (gotta declare it, it has to be unloaded in a locked hardshell case, can keep an ammo box in there too etc.). I was just hoping some of you could give me some additional pointers (I'm a noob).

Then there's the issue of Illinois... So I read all the state firearms laws, and basically I just have to leave it in the case is what I gathered. Kinda frustrating as my hotel is in Southside... Let's hope I make it home.
I personally wouldn't do it. Just my opinion. Too many horror stories about folks getting arrested because their plane got diverted to a gun unfriendly (NY, Chicago) city.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Many of the gun-grabbing states and minor jurisdictions (where they don't have state pre-emption) offer gate and TSA agents a "bounty" on guns. Despite explicit federal laws allowing anyone to check a gun on an aircraft, they call local cops and have the carrier arrested. NYC is notorious for this, but Chicago is currently throwing a hissy fit over losing its ban on guns and gun shops. Like many petty tyrants, they cannot stand to have their whims thwarted and they will lash out at anyone they can. Unless you want to be a test case and can afford the $10-$20K legal fees plus the arrest record, which since it is a "firearms" charge will likely cost you your carry rights unless you prevail, I wouldn't risk it. For that matter, I wouldn't go to Chicago no matter how much you paid me.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I will echo what others have said. Be VERY careful taking a gun anywhere near Chicago. If you just stuck to driving through town on the interstate highways, you'd probably be fine (state police jurisdiction only). But, Chicago (and many of the suburbs) tend to play by their own rules. The way I understand it is that local laws/ordinances take priority over state law, so it's nearly impossible to know the rules for every tiny place you might pass through along the way from the airport to where you are staying.

As an example of the insanity (I'm not sure how true this is), I read/heard somewhere that there are towns/cities in the Chicago area that require ALL guns to be registered with the local authorities if you plan to reside there (i.e., stay in a hotel) for more than 24 hrs. Hit that 24 hour mark with an unregistered gun, and you're screwed if anyone finds out! I grew up in Southern IL, and things are pretty normal there. I never really worried about transporting guns as long as I followed the state law. But, around Chicago is a whole different ballgame. A buddy of mine is a state trooper in IL (stationed in the south), and he told me exactly what I just said -- be very careful if you must take a gun, but avoid taking a gun altogether if there is any way you can. I travel through the Chicago area pretty regularly when I go to visit family in IL, and it makes me nervous every time I have guns with me (I often shoot with my family and friends when I'm visiting down south).

Anyway, just figured I'd throw that out there for consideration. Then again, downtown Chicago can turn into a war zone in the blink of an eye lately. :shooter:So, maybe you'd be better off to roll the dice with the legal end of things and give yourself a fighting chance of making out alive. ;) Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
867 Posts
BTW, when I flew with a gun to Florida about a year ago, I called both IN (where I was departing from) and FL to see how things would work at both ends while at the airports (and checked the TSA website). I wanted to make sure I had all of my bases covered. I got the same answer from the authorities in both states -- check with your carrier because different carriers may have slightly different requirements. It was no big deal for me, but both ends of the flight were very gun-friendly in my instance.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Don't take your gun, or don't go to Chicago.

·
Registered
30,006 Posts
"Don't take your guns to town, son!"
I love that song :D

On topic: when I travel to Chicago I dont even bother. Government is a bigger threat to my liberty there than common street criminals in my opinion.

Reactions: bapak2ja

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Some places are no problem. I fly in and out of RDU (Raleigh, NC) all the time. No real issues, except sometimes I have to teach the Delta agent their own rules, TSA isn't any more of a hassle than usual and NC is an Honor Anyone state.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Why go through the hassle of airlines, TSA, and local authorities? Pretty easy to get a gun on the streets of Chicago's south side. (JK, don't go that route).

Seriously, too much hassle. I wouldn't do it for reasons stated in above posts. If you had to use it while there, you will go to prison. Period.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
...sigh... I am gunless in Chicago... I hope my revolver isn't too cold back home in my glove box.

·
Premium Member
10,104 Posts
I would not take it to Illinois, but, if you do, good luck and be careful.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Trip to South Carolina in June...definitely driving, got the vacation anyway. Flying just doesn't do it for me anymore, and I worry more about lost bags than anything, which we've experienced more than once. Knowing our luck, the one late or lost bag (or case) would be the one with the pistol!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Yep you do realize if they confiscate your weapon in the city of Chicago your chances of getting it back are slim to none. That and your gonna get a whole lot of un-wanted attention in one of the most dangerous cities in the union...lol I wouldn't do it.

·
Super Moderator
40,714 Posts
...sigh... I am gunless in Chicago... I hope my revolver isn't too cold back home in my glove box.
Smart move! When I flew to Columbus, OH from Florida I ended up leaving my gun in Florida because I could not get a straight answer from Air Tran coming home. I purchased my tickets from South West, but the return flight was on Air Tran, and Air Tran is not as easy as South West even though they are owned by the same parent company.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts