Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the range today to shoot up some partial boxes of .38 special wadcutters so I could reload as full boxes. One in particular did not make a sound of any kind when I pulled the trigger. I immediately thought that I had a broken firing pin.

I checked the round and found that the primer was indented just like all the others. It had me confused because if I had not put powder in the case, the primer alone should have moved the bullet into the barrel, correct?

I brought it home, pulled the bullet, and found that I had the correct amount of powder in the round. Then I removed the primer and found that it did not have any priming compound.

I have hunted since I was 14 and reloaded since I was 23 and have never seen a primer with NO priming compound.

Anyone else here seen this????

·
Registered
24,605 Posts
Not so far.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Yes, lot of years back had a few Remington large rifle primers that were bad. When you consider how many millions are loaded quality control is great.
Yes, I had some bad primers some time back also and I think they too were Remingtons. I did not fully inspect the primers I just assumed I had screwed them up and got powder solvent or oil on them....

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
I found 1 Winchester Large Pistol Primer with no priming compound in it. I found it before loading it into a round while inspecting the primers in the priming tray. It stuck out like a sore thumb under a bright light. I was not looking for no primer compound, I was looking for missing or misaligned anvils. Which by the way I have never found one yet.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Well, I guess I am lucky, I have not come across this yet in over 20 years. Just watch, the next time I reload, I will find one or two!:bang:

Reactions: Win75

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Nope, never seen that before. I'll be on the lookout now...thanks!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Loaded up my RCBS hand primer with Remington SPP the other day and noticed that one was missing the anvil. Not sure what the result would have been, but I tossed it anyway.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I've not had the pleasure. Yet. But I do check every primer in my hand-priming tool to make sure all is ok and I don't have a ringers or duds.

·
Administrator
35,289 Posts
Although I've used about every brand of primer available, I have typically used CCI unless I just find another one for way cheaper. From thousands of rounds of CCI primers, I've had a grand total of one (1) not fire. Couldn't get the sucker to fire, no matter which gun I put it in. Not a bad record for CCI, all things considered.

If the primer had ignited, it would have likely pushed the bullet out of the case mouth, at least. I think it was DOA.

·
Registered
36,310 Posts
I ran into a couple of factory Federal rounds a few years back that apparently Federal had made the primers so you could inspect them before loading the gun with them, the primers were in backwards so you could see the priming material and anvils!
pretty good idea don't you think>------------------:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts