Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took my TCP 738 to the range for the first time today. I fired the following .380acp ammo:

1. WWB 95gr. FMJ - 100 rounds
2. Federal 90gr. Hydra-shok JHP's - 25 rounds

First, I'll state that I much prefer to use 90gr. FMJ/JHP in these little .380 pistols, as the recoil is considerably more snappy and less controllable for me. I've also suffered too many FTFE's with these rounds during a range session with a Ruger LCP once (jams in nearly every magazine load). As of yet, I've never had any issues with any 90gr. FMJ or JHP I've tried with these guns so far. One wouldn't think 0.5gr. more would make much difference, but they seem to break the threshold for what some of these little lightweight polymer pistols can handle reliably from my experience.

I couldn't find any of my favorite 90gr. target loads (PMC Bronze (round-nose) FMJ) so I had no choice but to start off with the WWB 95gr (flat-nose) FMJ. Having fired Federal 95gr. FMJ in a Ruger LCP before, I was pretty much expecting the same experience. For the first 50 rounds, everything when OK, then I switched to the Federal 90gr. Hydra-shok JHP. I found these to be much more pleasant to shoot. Less muzzle flash, less recoil and all 20 rounds fed through flawlessly. Then I went back to the WWB's, and I got a FTFE. OK... no big deal. This was the guns first time at it, and one FTFE out of 125 isn't so bad... right?

Then I had a catastrophic failure. I had a double feed that pushed the first round in so hard it became lodged in the barrel. I had to get someone at the range to help remove it (embarrassing) because I didn't have the right tool and was a bit nervous as I never had this happen to me before. I then proceeded to shoot the rest of the rounds without incident, and with some disappointment, started to pack up.

But wait... it wasn't over yet. As I tried to put my 738 back in my pocket holster, I felt something wrong. When I examined the gun I saw this pin sticking halfway out of the frame (see photo). This is not the take-down pin, but the lower pin close to the trigger. I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen, and Taurus will be hearing about it from me.

DSC00037.JPG

Would I trust this thing with my life? Well... I would have to shoot about 100 rounds more of various different brands of 90gr. FMJ and JHP defensive ammo before I make that call, assuming the loose pin issue ever gets resolved. I'm certainly not going to use 95gr. hardball in these little pistols anymore, and I'd recommend others do the same. Too many reliability issues, with two different similar guns, and two different brands of 95gr. FMJ has convinced me that these finicky little .380's don't care much for this ammo. I'm sure that the larger, heavier pistols like the Bersa Thunder or Walther PPK can handle 95gr. and heavier rounds just fine, but we are talking about a different class of gun here.

P.S. When I tried to see if my "D" gun had the "trigger reset issue", I was surprised when it actually fired after I barely pulled the trigger while more then half way back right after it clicked during the release. I can't explain that, but it happened twice. After I tried again after the click, then it failed to fire "normally" as reported and I had to rack the slide back to get it into action. So obviously the trigger reset issue has not been addressed. But it looks like I have bigger problems anyway.

·
Registered
339 Posts
funny, I've fed mine nothing but 95gr. WWB and it has been flawless. I'm a little confused by your terminology, is your problem a failure to feed or a failure to eject? sounds like it's a failure to feed (FTF, if you must). I believe the failure to feed that some people have with that bullet is caused by the flat point that most lighter bullets don't have. you can probably resolve that with a bit tuning on the magazine, get the point of the bullet to ride a bit higher to present it to the feed ramp at a better angle. one member recently posted that he achieved the same result simply by flipping the magazine spring. others have also post simple solutions to your pin problem.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
funny, I've fed mine nothing but 95gr. WWB and it has been flawless. I'm a little confused by your terminology, is your problem a failure to feed or a failure to eject? sounds like it's a failure to feed (FTF, if you must).
Yes. I meant failure to feed. Not sure about the correct abbreviations, but FTF could also be confused with failure to fire. So I said FTFE, which shouldn't be confused with FTE (failure to eject). Actually, I'm not sure what the problem was exactly, it could have been all of the above. Either way, I know I don't like it.

I believe the failure to feed that some people have with that bullet is caused by the flat point that most lighter bullets don't have. you can probably resolve that with a bit tuning on the magazine, get the point of the bullet to ride a bit higher to present it to the feed ramp at a better angle. one member recently posted that he achieved the same result simply by flipping the magazine spring.
Thanks, but I'll just try out and stick with the ammo that I know just works.

Others have also post simple solutions to your pin problem.
I haven't been around here too long, but I've seen a bunch of videos on the TCP and never knew this pin falling out issue to be so common. My problem? It sounds more like a Taurus problem to me, if their pins fly out of their 738's after a mere 125 rounds. I will contact them to to see what can be done about resolving the issue. I shouldn't have to put Loctite or something on a brand new firearm to make it work properly.

No offense if I a seem a bit edgy, but I'm a little perturbed right now.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have spoken with Taurus CS on the phone, told them my serial number, the situation and the ammo I was using, and they were more then nice about it. They have sent me a pre-paid shipping label to ship the gun to them, and they will (hopefully) fix it. The only thing is I could be 4 to 6 weeks without my gun.

This will now be a test of how good Taurus CS & Gunsmith Dept.'s are for me.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
I have spoken with Taurus CS on the phone, told them my serial number, the situation and the ammo I was using, and they were more then nice about it. They have sent me a pre-paid shipping label to ship the gun to them, and they will (hopefully) fix it. The only thing is I could be 4 to 6 weeks without my gun.
I agree sending it back because of the pin coming out. That should not happen, could be an out of spec pin.

As far as the feeding issues go, my experience was similar when my gun was new. After 40+ rounds I could not even get the slide to go into battery. I field stripped and cleaned the gun and everything was fine for another 40-50 rounds. In my opinion these micro pistols were not designed to be range pistols with hundreds of rounds fired between cleaning. I cleaned mine every 50 rounds and it has run flawlessly ever since. In the 1st 200 rounds I could not get WWB flat nose to feed. somewhere after 200 rounds the pistol broke in and now eats what ever I put in it.

Hope you get it back soon.

Reactions: HD-Mike

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I agree sending it back because of the pin coming out. That should not happen, could be an out of spec pin.

As far as the feeding issues go, my experience was similar when my gun was new. After 40+ rounds I could not even get the slide to go into battery. I field stripped and cleaned the gun and everything was fine for another 40-50 rounds. In my opinion these micro pistols were not designed to be range pistols with hundreds of rounds fired between cleaning. I cleaned mine every 50 rounds and it has run flawlessly ever since. In the 1st 200 rounds I could not get WWB flat nose to feed. somewhere after 200 rounds the pistol broke in and now eats what ever I put in it.

Hope you get it back soon.
Thanks. These guns can be reliable with the right ammo, one just has to experiment a bit with the finicky buggers. It's essential for someone to know that when choosing these types of pistols. I really didn't want to buy the WWD 95gr FMJ's, but I couldn't find anything else and needed to test my gun so I gave it a second chance, much to my dismay. Unless it's some kind of survivalist scenario, you shouldn't have to modify the gun or magazine in some way to make that ammo work. Just don't use it is my philosophy.

I have at least a few weeks to stock up on some various brands of 90gr. ammo while I'm waiting for my gun. I will report back after my hopefully new an improved 738 comes back from Taurus, and hopefully have good news.

For what it's worth, I'm not here to bash Taurus or anything. As I mentioned before this same type of ammo (95gr. flat-nose FMJ) failed miserably in the similar sized Ruger LCP I shot once as well. I know some people are fiercely loyal to their manufacturers, and get offended when people complain.

I'm posting this info not just for myself, but for the firearm community at large. These weapons are designed for CCW, and your life may depend on them. That's some serious business and should transcend brand names. If there is some particular make or model of gun or ammo that has failed someone in some way, the rest of us needs to know about it so we can get it resolved, or avoid them altogether if need be.

On a happy note, I finally got my customized Remora IWB holster today! Too bad I won't have the TCP to break it in with for a while.

·
Registered
24,845 Posts
Thanks. These guns can be reliable with the right ammo, one just has to experiment a bit with the finicky buggers. It's essential for someone to know that when choosing these types of pistols. I really didn't want to buy the WWD 95gr FMJ's, but I couldn't find anything else and needed to test my gun so I gave it a second chance, much to my dismay. Unless it's some kind of survivalist scenario, you shouldn't have to modify the gun or magazine in some way to make that ammo work. Just don't use it is my philosophy.

I have at least a few weeks to stock up on some various brands of 90gr. ammo while I'm waiting for my gun. I will report back after my hopefully new an improved 738 comes back from Taurus, and hopefully have good news.

For what it's worth, I'm not here to bash Taurus or anything. As I mentioned before this same type of ammo (95gr. flat-nose FMJ) failed miserably in the similar sized Ruger LCP I shot once as well. I know some people are fiercely loyal to their manufacturers, and get offended when people complain.

I'm posting this info not just for myself, but for the firearm community at large. These weapons are designed for CCW, and your life may depend on them. That's some serious business and should transcend brand names. If there is some particular make or model of gun or ammo that has failed someone in some way, the rest of us needs to know about it so we can get it resolved, or avoid them altogether if need be.

On a happy note, I finally got my customized Remora IWB holster today! Too bad I won't have the TCP to break it in with for a while.
I didn't see any bashing just a legitimate issue that will be addressed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I didn't see any bashing just a legitimate issue that will be addressed.
I'm not saying that there was, but it's been my experience with similar forums that there is usually some die-hard fan who will come in huffing and puffing when someone complains that a particular brand or model failed him and telling the complaining OP that it was all his fault and that he should've done this or that. It's never the guns or ammos fault, if you know what I mean.

I just hoped to address that in a polite and reasonable way before it might happen.

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
Breaking in a new gun can be a "PITA" especially the new breed of fly weight sub compacts.

They're a bit of a paradox as they need to be properly broken in, yet they are last ditch guns not designed for high volume all day range sessions.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I had a couple issues with feeding with the first 3 magazines through it. (Only when racking). Only ammo I had problems so far with is Tulammo. No problems with three other brands I've used.

I'd let them know all problems you've had. I bet it comes back with a more diverse appetite.

P.S. The wife's ran great straight out of the box. I didn't try Tulammo though (and I'm not going to either).

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have been feeding mine anything that is cheap and I have never had a feed failure. Seems anything I throw into this little cannon works.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I'm not saying that there was, but it's been my experience with similar forums that there is usually some die-hard fan who will come in huffing and puffing when someone complains that a particular brand or model failed him and telling the complaining OP that it was all his fault and that he should've done this or that. It's never the guns or ammos fault, if you know what I mean.

I just hoped to address that in a polite and reasonable way before it might happen.
This isn't one of those forums.

Believe me I know. I belong to one of those forums and I hate to even mention that I own and have owned many Taurus firearms because of the way they treat you on that forum.

I've only been on this forum for about 6 months and I have seen nothing but people who truly care about the shooting sports and are always willing to help out with some good advice.

I know coming from other forums it's can be hard to see that some times but stick around you will come to like this forum as much as I do.

Now, as for the ammo and this gun I have PMC Bronze 9gr FMJ, PPU 94gr FMJ and RWS 95gr FMJ without any issue. But just to let you know both the PPU and RWS are RN and not the TFP that the WWWB uses.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
How bout that truck moorrcarr67. What year is that?
It's a 1946 Chevy.

Sadly it's not mine.

Even sadder is that this truck was located at a business in Tucumcari NM on Route 66 and they have gone out of business and the truck is no longer out there for everyone to enjoy.

·
Registered
796 Posts
My C model has been flawless BUT I did notice that pin trying to work its way out on mine too at about 150 rounds. I just pushed it back in. As for the trigger reset, I am getting near apoplectic hearing about that. IT IS SUPPOSED TO CLICK. IT'S A TRIGGER RESET!!! The whole thing is a non-issue to me. What am I missing?

As for the other issues, I hope they are solved soon and to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This isn't one of those forums.

Believe me I know. I belong to one of those forums and I hate to even mention that I own and have owned many Taurus firearms because of the way they treat you on that forum.

I've only been on this forum for about 6 months and I have seen nothing but people who truly care about the shooting sports and are always willing to help out with some good advice.

I know coming from other forums it's can be hard to see that some times but stick around you will come to like this forum as much as I do.

Now, as for the ammo and this gun I have PMC Bronze 9gr FMJ, PPU 94gr FMJ and RWS 95gr FMJ without any issue. But just to let you know both the PPU and RWS are RN and not the TFP that the WWWB uses.
Yes, so far people have been pretty good here. All forums are not the same, that's for sure. I tried to join one particular forum that wanted all kinds of personal info that every other forum I ever joined never asked for, and on top of that they wouldn't except Yahoo email accounts. I said SCREW YOU!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
My C model has been flawless BUT I did notice that pin trying to work its way out on mine too at about 150 rounds. I just pushed it back in. As for the trigger reset, I am getting near apoplectic hearing about that. IT IS SUPPOSED TO CLICK. IT'S A TRIGGER RESET!!! The whole thing is a non-issue to me. What am I missing?

As for the other issues, I hope they are solved soon and to your satisfaction.
The trigger reset wasn't a big issue for me, as I'm used to long, DA trigger pulls. There was just some speculation here as to whether this so-called problem was resolved or not with the newer "D" models and I was curious to find out. I can tell you that it has not, although I found it a bit disturbing that mine fired a couple times immediately right after the release click with like a super ultra-hair trigger pull. When I tried to make it do that again, it just wouldn't fire like normal and needed to be racked to be put back into action.

Those pins coming out at 125 rounds out of the box is unacceptable. You said yours worked it's way loose after 150. Did it ever happen again? A good question I must ask myself is when is the pin going to pop out next time, after four or five more shots in a life or death situation? I'd rather not find out. I don't care what Taurus needs to do to fix mine from popping out again, but I hope they do.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Keep in mind same gun with similar serial numbers may not like the same ammo. Find what yours likes and use it. I just like to try different brands in case my brand of choice is not available. At least that was what I did before I started reloading.

If it helps any, PMC was by far the best performer in my TCP when it was new.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Keep in mind same gun with similar serial numbers may not like the same ammo. Find what yours likes and use it. I just like to try different brands in case my brand of choice is not available. At least that was what I did before I started reloading.

If it helps any, PMC was by far the best performer in my TCP when it was new.
Yes, as I already mentioned, PMC Bronze 90gr. FMJ round-nose are the best target ammo I've used so far in these little guns. Good quality brass at a cheap price, even thought they are not made in the USA. I went through several boxes of those and they all performed flawlessly, with controllable recoil. I tried to find some online, but everyone was solded out. Next time I get a chance to get some, I will stock up!

·
Registered
796 Posts
[Those pins coming out at 125 rounds out of the box is unacceptable. You said yours worked it's way loose after 150. Did it ever happen again? A good question I must ask myself is when is the pin going to pop out next time, after four or five more shots in a life or death situation? I'd rather not find out. I don't care what Taurus needs to do to fix mine from popping out again, but I hope they do.[/QUOTE]

Mine did not pop out suddenly but I noticed after a range session that it was about 1/3 out. I wasn't happy but I simply pushed it back in. I'll keep an eye on it for sure. As for ammo, thus far I have shot all fmj through mine but about 6 different brands. They all went "bang" :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts