Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
38,003 Posts
Congratulations on the new hand held howitzer!!

·
Super Moderator
35,537 Posts
You'll appreciate those ribber grips. :D It's a cannon, but you CAN load .44 special in it. :D

Reactions: kphilippona

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I've had my blue 44 tracker for about 4 years now. Good gun, I like it. I've had at least a half dozen 44 Magnum hand guns over the years but for casual use this Tracker is a good gun. I cast and load my own, some say not to use cast bullets because of the porting. Mine has had about 2000 rounds thru it and I don't see a reason to not use cast bullets. I don't shoot 44 Special in my Tracker as I have other revolvers specifically chambered for the Special. I did change out the OEM grips for the Hogue overmolded Monogrip. My middle finger was taking a beating from the trigger guard, the Hogue design prevents that and full house 44 Magnums are a little easier to shoot with the Hogue grips in place.

·
Super Moderator
35,537 Posts
Yes, I do like Hogue grips. :D I had the same middle finger problem with a SP101 Ruger and Hogue solved it. :D

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Congratulations on your new revolver!

·
Registered
883 Posts
I will have one of those 4" in SS. I know longer barrels have their place, but this gun in 4" just looks bad ass.

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
Wecome to the Taurus brotherhood and to TaurusArmed.net from Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just how durable is the coating ? This was the display gun and was handled and dry fired several times causing the cylinder to get marked up. Also they were using a stand that goes into the barrel, this caused a couple tiny chips in the ported breach. Not planning on babying this gun, will be taking it with me on hike and am sure it will get banged up :(

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
One item about the 44 Tracker no one has mentioned here: The rifling is only 3", the muzzle is back bored an inch under the ports. It makes it easier to handle and it makes no difference that I can discern. I have a 41 Magnum Tracker as well. It is rifled all the way to the muzzle, right on past the ports. I like both 41 and 44 but my favorite is probably the 41.
Oh, and another thing, these Tracker Magnums have a shorter cylinder than standard arms in the same chambering. No problem except when/if you wish to use ammunition with heavy for caliber bullets. I have a Ruger NMBH in 41, it will accept hand loads using the Lyman 410032 SWC crimped in the crimp groove. The tracker won't, the nose of the bullet is too long, protrudes from the cylinder, can't close and rotate. Good guns, but ya gotta plan ahead.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Nice .44! I went back and forth between this and the Bull when I got mine. Decided on the Bull for the 8" barrel and I wasn't crazy about the "gripper" either.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Just how durable is the coating ? This was the display gun and was handled and dry fired several times causing the cylinder to get marked up. Also they were using a stand that goes into the barrel, this caused a couple tiny chips in the ported breach. Not planning on babying this gun, will be taking it with me on hike and am sure it will get banged up :(
As many on this forum have learned, the Black Matte finish that Taurus is currently using will likely be a source for disappointment. Since you mentioned that you aren't planning on babying it, that disappointment may come sooner than later. Maybe so, maybe not. RE: the cylinder being marked up, that's an unavoidable situation on Taurus revolvers with the matte black as well as bead blasted SS finish. I'm guessing most revolvers will eventually display that line on the cylinder. I'm not so sure that I understand what you mean by "tiny chips in the ported breach" nor how a display stand would cause damage. Maybe a few pics would clarify that issue. I'd like to think that the LGS offered a significant discount for the gun being "damaged".
I frequently tease myself with the thought of getting a .44Mag revolver but have yet to follow through on it. I'm just sure that the added firepower is worth the additional expense of the ammunition (even if one reloads). If it were to be a Taurus, it would have to be a model that falls under the Taurus Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy (i.e. in production before 1 January 2017). Additionally, it would definitely be a SS model! An actual blued finish would be acceptable but NOT the Black Matte finish.
I do hope that you enjoy your new revolver.
Flex

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have already touched up the chips so nothing to show. I purchased the gun new from a pawn shop and was handled by many people and they display them on racks that slide into the barrel and if not careful can nick the paint. Price was not adjusted for the damage!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts