Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my new in the box PT145 Millennium Pro pistol 05/12/08. I fired if for the first time 05/24/08. I was disappointed to discover two consistent critical malfunctions of the pistol at that time. 1. The slide lock fails when an empty magazine is ejected from the pistol. The slide lock does not function at all when no magazine is present in the pistol. 2. When firing the pistol with a full to half full magazine the pistol fails to feed and the magazine drops from the pistol after each shot. Please fix these problems.

Let me first start off by stating that I am not bashing Taurus. I have read many positive articles and heard many accolades about Taurus wheel guns. Unfortunately I was not as informed about Taurus autos prior to my purchase of the PT145. The details above are what I provided to Taurus customer service as a result of my initial firing of a brand new pistol purchased from a dealer. The pistol arrived at the factory 06/13 and was not examined until 07/11. I followed up on 07/14 and was informed that the pistol was repaired and being return shipped that day. I received it today 07/15 and plan on heading to the range this weekend. Taurus customer service explained that the slide was deformed and the magazine release was broken. After repairs were completed the pistol was test fired with 40 rounds. It was not stated if any failures occurred during the 40 round test fire.

Now, this is not my first firearm purchase. I have a number of autos and revolvers from different manufactures. I personally experienced FTF's with a brand new HK4 when firing 22 caliber ammo. I discovered, after several trips to a gun smith, that the pistol was sensitive to the 22 ammo it could digest. Once I made the adjustment to hotter 22 ammo the pistol functioned near perfectly. This is the extent of "issues" I have experienced with purchasing a brand new pistol.

The experience with the Taurus pistol, IMO, has to be a result of improper or lack of test firing the pistol prior to release from the factory. Firearms manufactures used to send the test fire targets with each pistol sold. This verified for the purchaser that the pistol was actually test fired before being released for purchase. This pistol should never have left the factory. :mad:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Any manufacturer of any product will once in a while put out a lemon. Taurus, and other gun makers, want satisfied customers, because satisfied customers are most likely repeat customers who will recommend them to their friends. Give Taurus a chance to make it right.

The Taurus Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy™ is just that. The lifetime of the gun...not the buyer. This is the first warranty of its type in the industry. No other manufacturer has the confidence to extend this kind of offer. Except us. We know how good our guns are, and we are not afraid to stand behind them...for a lifetime.
FREE OF CHARGE for the lifetime of the firearm.

more; http://www.taurususa.com/main/repair-policy.cfm

TAURUS CUSTOMER SERVICE TEAM
Phone: (305) 624-1115
Fax: (305) 624-1126

Mailing Address:
16175 NW 49 Ave.
Miami, FL 33014

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
it does seem the QA is spotty, you either get a good one or a bad one, the unfortunate thing is like you said it should never have left the factory.

hopefully it has been corrected, if not you can always send it back or sell it to me cheap :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yeah, the inspectors must be spot checking them and not testing ALL the product that is outbound.
I had to send my 24/7C 40 back and the put a NEW barrel on it!
Why send a pistol out with a bad barrel?
Oh well.
Some inspectors in Brazil are screwing up I guess.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback folks. I think the only thing that really could have made this right, (provided the pistol functions this weekend) is a refund of my shipping cost or even a coupon for accessories. Anyway I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this weekend.

If all goes badly I'm glad you have my back Joe Sixpack. :guns: Although my idea of cheap may not be the same as yours. :thumb: I will update this post with the results.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well don't give up on it just yet Chief. I ran into the same problem. I bought a PT140 over a year ago and it was such a dependable trustworthy little rascal that i bought a new 24/7 OSS a month or so ago. First time out LEMON... 5 failure to fires. Dealer wouldn't make it good so back to Taurus it went. A month later they send it back saying they could find nothing wrong...

The next time i went out with it i had one failure to fire on first pull but it did fire on the second pull. Well i was so disappointed that i put the gun up for sale, but after a couple of days of cooling down i backed out of the sale... sorry ... I am going to keep it for a while. Do a little stripping down to the bone and clean the heck out of it and run another 500 rounds through it and see if it will straighten itself out when it is broken in good.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
TheBulldog said:
Yeah, the inspectors must be spot checking them and not testing ALL the product that is outbound.
I had to send my 24/7C 40 back and the put a NEW barrel on it!
Why send a pistol out with a bad barrel?
Oh well.
Some inspectors in Brazil are screwing up I guess.
It would be almost impossible to inspect every part. They would have to have as many inspectors as they do machine operators. One machine shop I worked for had one inspector and about thirty machine operators.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
ya but they can and should do a function test of the completed product.
bulldog was'nt suggested a detail strip of every gun for inspection give it a once over and fire it, a lot of problems i see people having become apparent very shortly after they put the first round down the tube.

guns have a certain tolerance so if it functions correctly thats what matters.
it seems to me they are'nt being test fired and in some cases are'nt even being givin a visual inspection.

thats unacceptable, what happens when one of these guns are in such bad shape that the first round injures or kills someone? can you say lawsuit?

·
Registered
275 Posts
paulrabe78 said:
It would be almost impossible to inspect every part. They would have to have as many inspectors as they do machine operators. One machine shop I worked for had one inspector and about thirty machine operators.
IMO, I strongly believe that this is where Taurus passes the money savings on to the customer.
It may be a Brazilian way of doing business that we aren't used to.

I've worked in shops that did inspect 100% of their product
at several places in the flow.
Suppliers agreed to 100% inspect, we checked 100% at assembly
and final packing.

·
Registered
509 Posts
joe sixpack said:
ya but they can and should do a function test of the completed product.
bulldog was'nt suggested a detail strip of every gun for inspection give it a once over and fire it, a lot of problems i see people having become apparent very shortly after they put the first round down the tube.

guns have a certain tolerance so if it functions correctly thats what matters.
it seems to me they are'nt being test fired and in some cases are'nt even being givin a visual inspection.

thats unacceptable, what happens when one of these guns are in such bad shape that the first round injures or kills someone? can you say lawsuit?
Yeah, I had an interesting convo with a CS peep in Miami, seems like some inspectors just, don't really look.
With the product line being what it is, it's causing issues with the polymer line.
Also, the striker system gets that darn GOO they coat their firearms with also, and you know how it feels when you clean the pistol the first time.
I cleaned my striker after the proceedure was posted here, it was not pretty, thing was BLACK after 50 rounds, that coating catches burnt powder like a magnet!

·
Registered
846 Posts
1. lock is not supposed to work if no mag is in gun. Unless you push lever up.
2. Did you clean it well ? Make sure you are not pushing the release button upon firing, recoil, etc..
These are very common problems, and not saying "it's your fault".
These compact pistols are different shooting than other guns.
Some good posts on this if you will go back and look.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Deformed slides are rare. Magazine release issues with the Millenium series are not so rare.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, Taurus had the opporotunity...

I got thorugh alomost 110 rounds when the front sight fell off. Easy fix but it shouldn't have happened. I got to tell you Taurus is not building my confidence.

·
Super Moderator
21,806 Posts
Because of the grip on small handguns its easy to hit the mag release when firing it happens with most small guns until you get used to it. Not to say yours did not have a bad mag release as this has been a problem with this model. hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
509 Posts
orlandodriver said:
How come chief has a 0 post count? i count atleast 3 just curious.
Yeah that is ODD!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Post counts in the complaints department aren't counted, only the posts in the other categories count on your ticker. We did that so you have to visit the other categories in order to build up your post count and to limit trolls from just hanging out in the complaints department racking up posts.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Ace said:
Post counts in the complaints department aren't counted, only the posts in the other categories count on your ticker. We did that so you have to visit the other categories in order to build up your post count and to limit trolls from just hanging out in the complaints department racking up posts.
Cool! :thumb: :thumb: :clap: :clap: :yipee: :yipee:

·
Super Moderator
21,806 Posts
Never new that then my count should be double LOL just kiding I'm vary happy with my 2 Taurus. MY PT1911 is my baby and I even had mag problems with it when I first baught it.

But the S&W 1911 at $1200 loaded with laser Grips that they were pushing on me, The safety would not work, just stoped half way up so I'm glad all I had to do was buy a couple of mags and send mine in to be replaced. NO Problem :) happy customer now had I baught the smith and got home I'd have had an attititude. But I always rack and fire and run function test on the gun I'm buying and ask to see other's of the same to compare when I can. good habit to get into.

By the Way I was in Academy sports the other day and they said if you ever have any problems with your gun they will pay shipping for you to get it repaired. I thought that was pretty cool. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts