Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a good eve at the range with the new M85

However, my set of 50 hand loaded .38 spl Berry's plated round nose did NOT work... My OAL was a bit long... Guess I'll use those in my .357

so... I proceeded to use some 'store bought' blazer ammo... Very pleased with this snubby

first thoughts...

-In DA mode, the trigger stacks, or pauses..(is that the right term?) Almost to a full pause, just before a bit more pressure makes the hammer release... It's very nice, but different than my other tauri revolvers
- the grip is awesome... Nice thumb rest
- SA is nice, light, not too light, but crisp
- shoots at point of aim at 21'... My first shots were high but that's because I didn't have the right sight picture
- this 17oz dream will become part of my EDC rotation once I give it a go with some self defense ammo and find the right holster

thanks to all TA colleagues who influenced my thinking about this firearm!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Nice gun and nice shooting! Those handloads must have been really long to jam that 85.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice gun and nice shooting! Those handloads must have been really long to jam that 85.
Yes... Take a look at the pic... The round nose bullets that wouldn't fit are next to the gun

that happened once before when I bought rounds from a local reloader... Who also used 'very long, almost pointy, LRN projectiles

ill need to seat the next ones a bit deeper

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
Glad she shot well!

The M85UL is a great revolver.

Reactions: jonrjen

·
22,054 Posts
DSC01184.JPG

Still really like that grip!

·
Registered
31,762 Posts
Taurus has a lot of models I really like, but if everyone who owns multiple Tauri, were to have to pick their favorite of them all, or the last one they would sell, the 85 would probably be it. My 85 was my first Taurus (1982). I now own 7 Taurus or Rossi models that I like each one very well and would categorize nearly all of them as the last I would want to give up, but the M-85 (mine all steel) has been the go to gun we've had the longest. Taurus has really built a good reputation on the M-85, others I love are the 66, PT145 Gen 2, and the rest are really good also. There are none of them that would be my first choices of guns to sell. I'll probably give my youngest my G-2 9mm for Graduation next May, he needs a good semi-auto.

Reactions: Dennis2477

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's your OAL with Berry's 158gr RN's? I load mine at 1.51" OAL.
Mine measure 1.57 OAL and the cylinder on the m85 measures 1.50... Hence the problem

my taurus m85 4" .38 spl circa 2008 has a much longer cylinder and I can use these rounds in it plus my taurus .357 tracker

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
That is a good lookin' gun, and those grips are sweet. I wonder if I can order a pair for my M327?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
My wife has an 85UL, and she loves it. I have a 4" 82, but I am thinking abut getting either a 85UL, or a Rossi R35102, 2", for EDC. I know my wife's 85UL shoots really nice. Looks like yours does as well. 17oz is a dream. Nice gun and shooting

·
Registered
14,706 Posts
Very nice revolver!

I have always had a soft spot for revolvers.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Muy bueno amigo!!!! Muy buena pistola!!!! Very light gun compared to my old S&W Mod 60. I got an 85 UL some months back. I have only fired it a few times. It has a fair DA trigger and a good SA trigger. Recoil is not really that bad with +P ammo. It is much lighter than an old steel M85 with a 3" heavy barrel I have had since the mid 90s.

Thenew M5 UL. Got a couple of speed loaders for it. Fit the old one and the old 60.

The old steel M85 with the 3" barrel compared to my very old S&W 60.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Congratulations! I had an older steel 85. It was stolen, so I bought an 85UL. It is an excellent snubbie. I removed the hammer spur for carry purposes. It is my go-to carry piece.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Thanks for the report back and the pictures! Just watch that OAL on those .38's!:thumb::thumb:

Reactions: Jlandis003
1 - 18 of 18 Posts