Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked up a PT709 and the first rounds I put down range after giving it a good cleaning and inspection equals :mad:

If I had more then 2 rounds in either of my magazines they would eject after firing. Not like a full eject but they would break loose and you could simply pull it out. After about 50 rounds of screwing with it I went back to my dealer and they are sending it back to Taurus. I tried everything from slamming in the mag to watching my grip to make sure I wasn't hitting the mag release. If I had just 2 rounds in it was fine.

Needless to say I was very discouraged this being my first experience with Taurus.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Some of the smaller pistols are "ammo sensitive". For example, my PT111 won't function properly with Winchester white box ammo, but every other ammo I've fired through it works fine.

As a word of encouragement, I've owned 11 different Taurus handguns, and have only had issues with one of them. My TCP had to be returned after owning it for 16 months because the slide began locking back after every shot. Taurus replaced the pistol with a new one.

Keep us posted on the outcome.

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know I didn't think about that.....I tried two different types of ammo (Federal 115 grain and Blazer Brass 115 grain)

Man I would feel stupid if that was the issue :(

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
i know there are at least two types of mag's for the 709, I had both, after buying two spares at a gun show. The ones that I bought after the gun, would not drop free, and were hard to insert. I was able to ID the problem, as the grooves on the mag were not deep enough, but I did not even try to shoot with them. They may have dropped out on firing too.

My Serial # was in the TCT 49 range?

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
huber, welcome to the TA site.. I am sorry to hear your initial outing with the 709 went the way it did. I asssume this was NEW gun. I recall back when these first came out there was talk about some mags having been dented during production. I bought a spare mag that was dented but it was hard to install and harder to remove. My LGS exchanged the mag and I was good to go.
I have had my 709 over a year and over 3500 rds thru it. Its become my primary pocket carry. It was originally purchased for my wife but she could not hang on and had limp wrist issues. I prob run at least 100 rds thru it when I get to the range.
I have had very good customer service from Taurus be it parts, repairs or just information. Keep us updated on your status.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
You know I didn't think about that.....I tried two different types of ammo (Federal 115 grain and Blazer Brass 115 grain)

Man I would feel stupid if that was the issue :(
Not to worry. Taurus does a good job in the warranty service department; and I believe you will end up a satisfied customer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys! I played around with the gun before going to the range and the mag's where not hard to insert and dropped free just fine. They also lock into place and you can't pull them out, it's only after discharge.

Well I should here something soon hopefully as my dealer is waiting to hear back from his Taurus rep

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problems you are having. Hope you can get them worked out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I finally heard something today :(

I dropped the gun off on Dec 21st so 3 weeks tomorrow and the gun shop calls me today saying Taurus has received the weapon and will fix the part and it will be a couple weeks before I get it back.

3 weeks to receive a weapon????

Sucks because it's a small shop so how do you complain about crap lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well just got a call my gun is back.....Don't know if the owner was messing with me the other day or not :)

Gun had a broken mag release

·
Registered
237 Posts
Glad you got a simple fix even though you had to wait. Perhaps you should ship it yourself if you have any other issues. At least then you will know how long it actually takes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts