Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grabbed a classic complete lower on a sale and wanted the 20" free float upper, but hesitated on placing the order and oops, school shooting and everything went out of stock. so i settled on the 18" nitride barrel with classic handguard. Figured if it shot really well i could change out the handguard, if not i'd buy a different barrel.
Cleaned and lubed it and grabbed some old .surplus .308 ammo and headed to range today. Some was the old steel case copper washed chinese stuff, the other was some '86 AFN Nigerian mil surplus stuff.
First 2 rounds didn't really eject well, but after that everything functioned perfectly. Chinese stuff was OK accuracy for what it is, about 2" at 50 yards, but the Nigerian stuff surprised me, 10 shot group. ar10.jpg
I cleaned after 5 rounds, again after another 5, then shot another 25 rounds. At no time did i get a hint of copper on a patch. Nothing but powder grime. This is what i found to be the case on my 2 .300 BO nitrided barrels. They don't seem to collect copper!

Attachments

·
8,902 Posts
Very nice.

·
Premium Member
13,414 Posts
Looks great! I have two PSA uppers in .308, one with iron sights and the other wearing a Nikon 3-9x40 scope. I only have one lower so I need to order another lower from PSA.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I caught the $159 complete lower price just before everything jumped at PSA. I think my upper went up by $50 not to mention going out of stock.
Looks great! I have two PSA uppers in .308, one with iron sights and the other wearing a Nikon 3-9x40 scope. I only have one lower so I need to order another lower from PSA.

·
Super Moderator
35,365 Posts
How heavy is it? Is it one of the new light weight .308 ARs? I love the caliber in my bolt gun, hunt anything in north America and inherently accurate. The bolt gun is barely 7 lbs with the scope. I understand the new gen .308 ARs are light, too. :D

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I have pretty much the same gun, Palmetto got me when they offered the bare AR10 lower with a Taurus M85 for $219 or $229 and a $40 rebate on the Taurus. I am a sucker for rebates. I am going to Menards tomorrow for my free after rebate t-shirts. Back to the gun, mine shoots great, it is a fairly heavy barrel and you know it's not an AR15 when you pick it up. I also have a 3-9 Nikon on mine.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
darn that PSA .they got me with the $399 for the 20ga shockwave + 3 stripped AR-15 receivers.
My AR10 weighs in at 9lb 4oz with a simmons 6-20x 44mag scope. it has the 18" A2 profile barrel. if you want to trim that, Faxon makes a pencil barrel that will trim maybe 4-6oz off that. Not insignificant, but still basically a 9 lb gun, without ammo

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
The weight is my problem with building a .308 AR. There are factory built .308 AR's around 7 pounds. These lighter guns usually have the shorter receiver also.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i am spoiled by ar15's all being built to a common mil spec. (pretty much). all the .308 variations drive me crazy. it would have been better if the industry had agreed to a spec. long run they would have made it a much bigger market.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
I'm so jealous as I want one!

·
Super Moderator
35,365 Posts
The weight is my problem with building a .308 AR. There are factory built .308 AR's around 7 pounds. These lighter guns usually have the shorter receiver also.
Yeah, at 9 lbs, I'll keep my little 7 lb bolt rifle in stainless steel. I like it better than the AR platform anyway for hunting. :D I don't think I'd plink much with .308, too much reloading and expense. I like the fact that I can get .223 for the price of .22 magnum and don't have to mess with reloading it unless I just WANT to. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts