Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent my first few posts on this forum asking for info on the taurus 650 .357 then my last few freaking out about my issue with it right when i got it. Soo... Finally got to take it to the range.

Along with the taurus i also purchased a Ruger SP101 3 inch stainless. The 650 is a 2 inch blue.

I have to say i am impressed. Shot about 150 .38 specials, 50 .357, and 25 .38 +p. the ruger i shot mostly SA but some double, and the taurus is hammerless DA only.

I was sure before i shot the 3 inch ruger was going to be the accurate one. And although i probably spent more time with the taurus since it will be my main carry gun, so i also probably got used to it more because of that, but i definately shot the taurus better. I dont know why, maybe it was even because i dry fired it much more, but at 20 yards that little DA 2 inch snub was hitting them all in a 5-6 inch head target on its first outing.

38 shot a little low so once i figured that out i was right in there. 357 was pretty much right on. 357 definately had some bite to it but nothing an average guy couldnt handle even with the very small factory grip.

The only small issue it had was it doesnt exactly eject the shells very well. Not hard but i had to pick the shells out by hand. Its brand new so maybe in time it will break i and shells will come out easier? Anyone know?

Im pretty happy. Not a single issue with either through about 5 different brands of ammo all shapes and sizes

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Sounds like you had a great time at the range!! Congratulations on your 2 new firearms. Every once in a while I have the same problem with the extractor star leaving an empty behind. In my case I think it may be due to a bit of dirt or fouling, but I could certainly be wrong. I have a very fine bladed pen knife that I carry with me all the time and keep it on the bench when I shoot to help "pull" out the occasionly empty that doesn't extract. It just takes a second or two, I don't have to finagle the sucker out with my short finger nails, and I back to loading fresh rounds in no time! My dad taught me to carry a pen knife all the time...

Reactions: darbo and MilProGuy

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I spent my first few posts on this forum asking for info on the taurus 650 .357 then my last few freaking out about my issue with it right when i got it. Soo... Finally got to take it to the range.

Along with the taurus i also purchased a Ruger SP101 3 inch stainless. The 650 is a 2 inch blue.

I have to say i am impressed. Shot about 150 .38 specials, 50 .357, and 25 .38 +p. the ruger i shot mostly SA but some double, and the taurus is hammerless DA only.

...i definately shot the taurus better. I dont know why, maybe it was even because i dry fired it much more, but at 20 yards that little DA 2 inch snub was hitting them all in a 5-6 inch head target on its first outing.

38 shot a little low so once i figured that out i was right in there. 357 was pretty much right on. 357 definately had some bite to it but nothing an average guy couldnt handle even with the very small factory grip...

Im pretty happy. Not a single issue with either through about 5 different brands of ammo all shapes and sizes
Thanks for sharing your range report with us, and I'm pleased to read that you actually shot better with the Taurus!

...My dad taught me to carry a pen knife all the time...
Sounds to me like you were "Daddy's Girl".;)

Did he teach you how to shoot too?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is all 5 rounds that dont eject well. They come out as far as the ejector rod goes but dont pop out all the way like the ruger. Although the ruger ejector rod pushes them all the way out and the taurus rod seams to be shorter, leaving the last 1/4 inch or so still in the chambers. I can pull them easily out with my fingers from there, but definately slows down reload.

But the gun shoots lights out!

·
Registered
46 Posts
You are correct Dman23 with your observation, same thing with mines, I just let gravity help me a little with keeping the muzzle down range and tilting the butt of the gun down slightly. My SW model 19 just kicks those empties out with no problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spent my first few days having my first CCW on me. Very little IWB mostly in my jacket a few feet away. Must say overal i love this little gun and cant wait for the next range trip. Sadly in northern MN it is COLD Nd range trips are limited. Especially after the foot of snow we just got.

I could shoot this ALL day! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360646441.367865.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts