Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally made it to the range to break in the TCP! I brought 100 rounds of FMJ and a box of Hydra-Shok's. I made it through a box of FMJ's with no FTF or FTE, but on the last mag of the first box of FMJ the slide locked back with one round left in the mag. I took it apart, cleaned it, and started on the 2nd box of FMJ. It happened about 5 or 6 more times with both the FMJ and Hydra-Shok's. But, I'm still pretty happy with 120 rounds down the pipe. It is a FUN gun to shoot! Nothing like the P3aT I used to own! I was also pleased with the accuracy at 7 yards, especially with the Hydra-Shok's. I figure I'll give it another 100 rounds of FMJ before I try any mod's to fix the slide locking back with a round still in the mag. Overall I am very happy with this little gun, and hopefully I'll get it right before my CCW comes in the mail. Anyone have any suggestions if it is still doing this after another 100 rounds? I'm hoping I won't have to send it to Miami!

·
22,294 Posts
Hydra-Shoks are good rounds. I'd get through 300 FMJ and see if it's still hiccupping. If so, a slide lock adjustment might be in order. There are threads here about how.

DSC01186.JPG

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Most people seem surprised at how accurate the TCP is with its diminutive sights....Once you get it working to your satisfaction i bet it gets a lot of pocket time....mine certainly has!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just got one as well, 50 rounds of fmj and 1 ftf. Last round of the mag. I will clean the mag before next range trip

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Congrats on the TCP and range report.

Save yourself some time now before your next range trip.

Take the slide off your TCP and then load the magazine with 6 rounds and insert it into the frame. Look and see if the top cartridge is coming in contact with the slide stop tab. If it is you will need to lightly file away some material from the tab where it is coming in contact with the cartridge. Remove very little and check again, better to remove a little material several times to get it right then remove too much being in a hurry. If the first round is not contacting the magazine release and/or you fixed it remove one more cartridge and reinsert the magazine and check again. Repeat this until the magazine is empty. Also you may want to repeat this whole process a few times, even though it is a single stack magazine the cartridges will sit to the left or right slightly changing what number sequence is closest to the slide stop. If you are careful and neat about it you should not have any warranty issues unless you tell Taurus what you did at a later time. They most likely are going to try and fix it the same way, before they take time to replace the slide stop with another one.

Or you could send it back to Taurus for them to adjust the tab. If you do this be very specific in the notes you send in with the gun on what specific cartridges are catching.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
dog congratulations.jpg
Keep firing it until the problem is gone, then you can use it for CC.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Fishinkeylargo
I will give that a try tonight along with painting the sights
Rereading my post I failed to mention that you are looking under the first round in the magazine at the second round as the first round will ride above the release tab.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Finally made it to the range to break in the TCP! I brought 100 rounds of FMJ and a box of Hydra-Shok's. I made it through a box of FMJ's with no FTF or FTE, but on the last mag of the first box of FMJ the slide locked back with one round left in the mag. I took it apart, cleaned it, and started on the 2nd box of FMJ. It happened about 5 or 6 more times with both the FMJ and Hydra-Shok's. But, I'm still pretty happy with 120 rounds down the pipe. It is a FUN gun to shoot! Nothing like the P3aT I used to own! I was also pleased with the accuracy at 7 yards, especially with the Hydra-Shok's. I figure I'll give it another 100 rounds of FMJ before I try any mod's to fix the slide locking back with a round still in the mag. Overall I am very happy with this little gun, and hopefully I'll get it right before my CCW comes in the mail. Anyone have any suggestions if it is still doing this after another 100 rounds? I'm hoping I won't have to send it to Miami!
FedEx is picking mine up tomorrow for repair. I got mine 2 weeks ago and I shot about 125 rounds through it. I got a failure to fire on the very first round and then it shot fine for 20-25 rounds. Then I started getting the slide locking open with one or two left in the magazine. I then got an occasional failure to fire on the first round with no dent in the bullet and it would shoot fine later. Then at over 100 rounds, I started getting jams with the bullet pointing straight up with a dent in the front. I also got some locking open with a bullet in it and occasionally, it didn't lock back after the final shot. I hope they fix it right and get it back in a reasonable time. I'm now down to two semi-autos and 2 revolvers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did the check and the round doesn't touch as long as it's seated right in the mag, it looks like it has been filed down at the factory. I did paint the back sights white and the front sight bright orange, it really makes a big difference.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just picked up a tcp and made a range trip. Only problem was it locked open several times. Got home and did the check described here. It was doing exactly as described especially on the Remington hollow points. Carefully filed the lock tab down a little and it seems good now but I noticed that the magazine has a little play in the front of the bullet allowing it to move forward maybe a 1/16". I haven't tried it yet but suspicion this may be just enough to cause it to still lock up. As long as it stays back it clears all kinds of ammo but touches if I move the bullet forward. Will the bullets stay rearward or will it move forward and lockup? Next question is can the mag be modified? I didn't want to remove any more material than really necessary. Thanks to everyone's help

·
Registered
61 Posts
It is an e series but was still catching on the tab. I took off just enough material that allows it to clear. Still plenty left to catch on the mag. It will now work fine if the bullet doesn't move forward with the 1/16-1/8" play in the mag. I put 150 rounds thru it before any filing. Remington hp and blazer were the only ammo used. They both locked back randomly. Before filing it would lift the stop often but now only when I move the bullet forward in the mag. No other problems and shot great. The little touching now may not be an issue? Next week I will know. I was just curious if anyone tried to slightly modify the mag to prevent the play. I only have the one mag so far.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just got a new "E" series 738 today. Been sitting here with the gun apart playing with some Hyda-Shoks and some round ball. They Hydra-Shoks definitely clear the factory-rounded stop tab just fine. The ball stuff just barely kisses the tab on their way, but not enough to lift the stop that I can tell. The "proof will be in the pudding" when I push some thru it tomorrow.

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
First range report "e" series TCP

Are the mag(s) marked made in USA or Brazil? There are reports the new USA made mags are using a flawed follower design that causes premature ejac---- err slide lock open. :(

Seriously- I've seen threads here lately on this topic. Nothing Taurus does poorly shocks me at this point.

Pics of Brazil made mag.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Congrats on your new pistol, hope you get it straighten out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes the mag is made in USA. With the little bit of filing I believe it will be good. Next week will be the test. Ball ammo clears now and the Remington hp only touches when the pushed forward in the mag and even then it just barely touches. I really like this little gun and truly think it will be good to go. This is my second Taurus. My tracker 455 snubby has be perfect. I will let you guys know next week. I do need another mag though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, today I put another 100 rounds through the TCP. I only made it through 4 mags without the slide locking back, it did it once or twice for every other mag. So, I'm going to file a little off the stop tab and see how that works. I don't think another 100 rounds will make a difference for this problem, as I had less problems on my first 120 rounds. On the bright side, I am getting more accurate with this little pistol. I will do the mod and post up after my next range session.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts