Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my first jam in my PT92 (somewhere between 5 and 7 thousand rounds into it). When the FTF happened, I inspected the gun and saw that there was a round about 7/8's of the way into the chamber, and everything was locked up tight. I was unable to free the round by racking the slide (slide wouldn't budge at all), so I assumed it was a broken locking block, and finished out the weekend with my Jericho. Upon returning home, I tried a few more times to free the round, and after several minutes of jiggling the slide it finally popped free. I stripped the gun and saw no visible flaws, the locking block looked fine and there were not wear marks or anything else that would explain the jam (I had put about 500 rounds through it over the weekend).

On inspecting the round however, I noticed a few strange things. First off the cartridge is visibly deformed. Rather than being round, it looks something like the letter D, with the flat side of the D being approx 1/3 the over diameter of the round. In addition to that in the bullet itself (the flat is on the casing) there is a very noticeable dent in the bullet, approx 1/10th of an inch long (and maybe 1/3rd that high).

So my question is, is there anything in the cycling of the weapon that could account for this, or was it most likely a bad out of box round? For reference, it come from a box of UMC 9mm bulk pack made by Remington.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
unsure about the taurus but if we are to take the stats from the beretta 92 it avg 5k rounds between stoppages iirc.

thats pretty good in my book.. it could easily be ammo abnormality.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Based on your description my first instinct is to say it's a faulty round. The brass on the round is softer than the metal of the pistol but I'd still expect to see some trace on the pistol if it caused the damage. Is the inside of the barrel still smooth?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
InfidelIllini said:
Is the inside of the barrel still smooth?
Like a stainless steel babies bottom.

·
Administrator
18,302 Posts
InfidelIllini said:
Based on your description my first instinct is to say it's a faulty round. The brass on the round is softer than the metal of the pistol but I'd still expect to see some trace on the pistol if it caused the damage.
+1 ! I've seen some occasional problems with bulk UMC 9mm with other handguns at our range. Moreso than with any other brand.

I do like UMC/Remington brass for reloading, though!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. That bolsters my opinion as well. Espcially since snap caps cycle through it just fine. I'll take her out and run a few rounds through, and hopefully wont come back a lefty :) !

·
Registered
402 Posts
Might not hurt to do a pre and post firing inspection of the pistol, just to verify there is no new damage. Do you still have rounds left from that box of UMC? If so it wouldn't hurt to check the ammo as you load the mags. If you find another deformed round it raises the odds the round that caused the jam was defective. On the other hand even if you don't find another deformed round it doesn't eliminate a bad round as the culprit.

·
Registered
92 Posts
joe sixpack said:
unsure about the taurus but if we are to take the stats from the beretta 92 it avg 5k rounds between stoppages iirc.

thats pretty good in my book.. it could easily be ammo abnormality.
Average Beretta 92 stoppage, per the M9 trials, is 17k+ rounds.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i stand corrected.

Beretta U.S.A. Reliability and Durability Statistics for the Beretta 9mm Pistol
• The average reliability of all M9 pistols tested at Beretta U.S.A. is 17,500 rounds without a stoppage.
• During one test of twelve pistols fired at Beretta U.S.A. before Army supervision, Beretta-made M9 pistols shot 168,000 rounds without a single malfunction.
• The Beretta 9mm pistol was the most reliable of all pistols tested in the 1984 competition which resulted in the award of the M9 contract to Beretta.
• Two-thirds of all M9 pistols endurance tested at Beretta U.S.A. fired 5,000 rounds without a single mal function or, at most, with only one malfunction.
• The average durability of Beretta M9 slides is over 35,000 rounds, the point at which U.S. Army testing ceases.
• The average durability of M9 frames is over 30,000 rounds. The average durability of M9 locking blocks is 22,000 rounds.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good stuff. I'm sure most of those stats, except maybe the locking block #, could be carried over to the PT92

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, finally got back to the range for the first time since the jam, and put about 130 flawless rounds down range with my pt92. Everything looked good inside the gun so I'm gonna call this one incident a bad round and not hold it against the guns failure count.
Roughlly 5K failure free rounds and still going strong. I think I'll call her reliable now :) .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts