Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
22,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've made my first online purchase. I'm very happy with Gunbroker and the seller, Wholesale Hunder. WH gave me a great deal and fast shipping. I'm not as pleased with my LGS. The Gunbroker web site said they charged $40. High, but I like to support my LGS. They were good about sending the FFL, but when I called about picking it up, they said $50! I considered sending the pistol back and calling it all off, but I really didn't want to deal with all that hassle. So I got the pistol, paid the $50, and then emailed the shop owner to explain my view. I think I'll be spending more time at shops in Albuquerque. But enough about that.

This is an ATI FX45, their 5" parkerized mil spec 1911. I assume it's parkerized. That's how it looks to me. The pistol is very well made. Great frame to slide fit, very good trigger, no tooling marks on the outside, and very dark, even finish with uniform color. In the last two respects, it easily outclasses my mid-90s Colt 1991. The frame fit and trigger are about the same, I'd say, as the 20-year-old Colt. The ATI also has an arched mainspring housing, made of metal, with the military lanyard loop.

I wanted to emphasize the military aspect of this pistol, so I got some very nice grips off of Amazon. They are very well made, with good, crisp laser etching and nice grain in the wood.

Anyway, on to some pictures!

Here it is with the ATI grips. Not bad really, but not what I wanted.
DSC02726.JPG

Here it is with the US Army grips. I'm extremely pleased with them!
DSC02730.JPG

Other side.
DSC02728.JPG

I'm surprised how much I like the feel of the safety lever.
DSC02731.JPG

Yep, the recoil spring setup is exactly as JMB designed it.
DSC02732.JPG

·
Registered
24,808 Posts
Congrats on your new 1911 and nice family portrait.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new pistol.

·
22,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Congrats. Fine looking G.I. For some reason the recoil spring pic doesn't show on my pc. Santa just loves 1911s.

·
22,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm. Every darn time. Maybe it's the fact that its a 24MP camera.

DSC02728.JPG

DSC02732.JPG

Reactions: bigC

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Congrats on your new pistol.

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
Super Moderator
40,613 Posts
Congrats. nice addition to the family!

·
Registered
36,676 Posts
congrats!
I have a couple ATI 1911's.
ones a Commander, the other a Defender size.
Both are good shooters and reliable, actually the Defender "Titan" is uncanny accurate for that size 1911.
enjoy.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Thanks folks!

Here's the source: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OP1QU40/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I thought I saw versions for other services, but I don't see them now.
I checked the link on Amazon and it says these grips are now unavailable and not sure when they might be again. They did list the maker of the grips so I took the liberty of finding the guy's website. This guy makes some gorgeous grips!

Dan Eagle Pistol Grips finest in fit, finish, & customer services before and after the sale

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Very, very nice!

·
22,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
congrats!
I have a couple ATI 1911's.
ones a Commander, the other a Defender size.
Both are good shooters and reliable, actually the Defender "Titan" is uncanny accurate for that size 1911.
My Titan is a big part of why I chose this one for my MilSpec. I'm really fond of my Titan!

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Great looking new 1911.

High FFL fees baffle me. I have 2 shops in the area that charge $0, that's right nothing. None charge made than $20. For $50 I'd do another search.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts