Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Taurus 24/7 OSS yesterday and just go back from the firing range. Here are my thoughts about it.

1. I like the way it fits my hand, very comfortable.
2. I certainly like the 12 + 1 capacity of the magazine.
3. Crazy about the price, $499 is great.

Things i don't like so far.

1. The gun shoots low and slightly left. Shooting at 10 yards at a man sized target it fired about 4"'s low and slightly left. This was the results for two different shooters, the other shooter was a policeman who i know shoots very well.

2. This is the first time i have shot a gun with a striker system like it has. Is this a common thing with strikers... shot 200 rounds through the gun and had 5 that did not fire. Even pulling the trigger repeatedly did not fire the round and when ejected there was not a mark one on the primer.

On the whole i like the gun very much, but if this striker thing is common then there is no way i can use this gun as an every day carry defensive weapon. Any comments?

The gun will be going to the gunsmiths Monday to see if there is anything to be done, other wise it will be going back to the dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,043 Posts
James41 said:
2. This is the first time i have shot a gun with a striker system like it has. Is this a common thing with strikers... shot 200 rounds through the gun and had 5 that did not fire. Even pulling the trigger repeatedly did not fire the round and when ejected there was not a mark one on the primer.
This is not common with striker fired pistols.
Here's the part that you might be a little concerned with. You said you did not even see a mark on the primers of these 5 rounds.
That is not a good thing.

Even if the round was a "dud", you would still see the point of contact when the firing pin hits the primer.

Did you give the OSS a good thorough cleaning before you fired it?
There does tend to be "gunk" in the firing pin channel from the factory on occassion. I don't think this is the case however since you fired 200 rounds and this happened to just 5.

Give it a really good detail cleaning and try it again before sending it off or bringing it to a gunsmith. If it still acts up as you describe then send it back to Taurus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't think it would be common, but i didn't know for sure.

And no, i didn't clean it before taking it out as i checked down the barrel and it was clear and clean and i didn't see any "stuff" hanging around anywhere inside the gun.

I just took a quick ride to the dealers and he said the same, it isn't common and there must be a problem somewhere. I will take the gun back to him tomorrow and he will give me credit for it. He says he will have a new one in next Wed. and i can just trade him for it so that is what i will do. Sure hope this works out as i really like the gun otherwise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, i guess i should have known that was to good to be true. I boxed up the OSS today and took it back to the dealer only to be told that i would have to send it back to the factory....

So, my next question, is just how good is Taurus customer service/repair? I've heard from more than one that it is rather lousy, and so far my experience with them seems to be that is probably right. When i got back home i called Taurus in Florida to see about returning the gun to be repaired or replaced. When i told the guy about the no fire of five rounds in about
200 shots he said: " Well, 5 rounds in 200 ain't no big deal "

Maybe not to him it isn't sitting safely in his office, but on the street at 3 in the morning and you have a couple guys coming at you with hurt on their mind it could easily mean a quick ride in the long black car.

Is this what to expect from Taurus? How long does it usually take to get repair or replace done when you send something in? And can i expect to get a properly working weapon when it does make it back? Or should i start selling it right now while it is still on the way there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
James41 said:
1. The gun shoots low and slightly left. Shooting at 10 yards at a man sized target it fired about 4"'s low and slightly left. This was the results for two different shooters, the other shooter was a policeman who i know shoots very well.
You might want to try other ammo. An article in this month's Handload magazine showed 4 different rounds (different weight bullets and different velocities) and the point of impact was vastly different between them. One shot high left, one shot to point of aim, and two shot low (one left and one center).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
James,

From reading the thread, it doesn't look like you took the excellent advice from NYPD about cleaning it.

It is entirely possible that is all it needed and, if so, you are sending your gun back for nothing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While i did not disassemble the gun and do a complete cleaning i did check it over fairly good before shooting it and it was clean and ready to shoot. I have been shooting guns since back in the 40's so i can fairly well tell if they need cleaning.

While the shooting low may have been because of badly positioned sights or just the fact that it needed breaking in, or it just plain didn't like the rounds i had, i seriously doubt that not cleaning it first had anything to do with it. When i first saw where the gun was hitting at i took extra care to make sure the sight picture was correct before pulling the trigger. I have a Kimber 1911 that i can do double taps with and maintain excellent grouping so i know i am not that bad a shot, and the other fellow shooting is a policeman that is a darn good shot yet he got the same results with it.

And as for the 5 no fires in 150-200 rounds, that most defiantly was some mechanical problem, not excess grease, of which there was none when i did strip it down after shooting. The gun has a SA/DA trigger and repeatedly pulling the trigger had no effect and showed no mark whatever on the primer, yet racking in a new round it always fired again each time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,043 Posts
James41 said:
The gun has a SA/DA trigger and repeatedly pulling the trigger had no effect and showed no mark whatever on the primer, yet racking in a new round it always fired again each time.
Ahhh....you did not state this in your original post. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
I hope this turns out well for you.

Being interested after seeing the reports of the 24/7 OSS from the 2007 SHOT show, I finally saw my first one at a gun show only two weeks ago.

I will be following this thread.

Good luck,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NYPD in AZ said:
Ahhh....you did not state this in your original post. ;)
That's because i have a tendency to have brain lapses...(G)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mike1951 said:
I hope this turns out well for you.

Being interested after seeing the reports of the 24/7 OSS from the 2007 SHOT show, I finally saw my first one at a gun show only two weeks ago.

I will be following this thread.

Good luck,
Thank you i am certainly hoping for a fast turn around with good results because i really like the gun. It feels good and is just what i have been looking for. I will certainly post the results when i get them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Had similar problems with my 24/7 Pro .45. Shot low and left consistently. Sent back to Taurus and got back six weeks to the day with a new barrel and a new set of Heinie sights. Deadly accurate now and shoots to point of aim. Gunsmithing costs=zero. My Gun shop told me to be sure and keep the 24/7's properly lubed with something a little heavier than Remoil. Bought some FP-10 lubricant (good stuff) and use it on all my guns now. Cured the occasional FTF problem I was having with the 24/7.

I liked the way the 24/7 felt in my hand and did not give up on it although I had some early problems. Glad I stayed with it and got the bugs out. It was worth it. Now I have a very accurate, very reliable 12 shot .45 that goes with me everywhere.......24/7.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
I was very surprised when my gun shop told me to add more lube instead of less on the 24/7. I always thought that too much oil was worse than not enough. I can't argue with success though since keeping a good amount of FP-10 on the rails of my 24/7 cured my FTF problem.
Don't sell your gun yet. I've spoken with seveal folks that have returned guns to Taurus and their turnaround time is about six weeks right now, which is the time mine took. Much better than the six months I experienced six years ago. Taurus will fix the problem of lack of primer strke and will most likely replace your barrel and sights like they did on mine. Its not normal to have a gun that shoots low and left all the time, and different ammo should have no effect at 10 yards......25 maybe, but not up close and personal. Sounds like you got a bad barrel. And yes, its a pain in the rear to send a gun off to Miamia that you just got, but Taurus definitely did my 24/7 right. Very happy with the returned product.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Really glad to hear your problems got worked out. The factory has my gun now so we will see how long and what they do to fix it. I certainly hope they are able to get it up to snuff because i really like the gun. Looks good, feels good, and i love the 12 round magazines. The first time i tried em i thought to myself, isn't this thing ever going to run out... :D

If it turns out to be anywhere near as good as my PT140 i will be very happy with it. The other day out at the range i tried something new for me... I have always done draw and fire when i had a decent sight picture, but this time i did draw and point shooting. Was very pleased with the PT140's results. The first few rounds were a tad wild, but after i got 50 rounds into the target it was giving very good results with most rounds going into the center and the ones that didn't were hitting in the chest or just below the belly button. This was shooting from 10 and 12 yards. Quite good for a compact with a 3 inch barrel i would say.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well i finally got my SS back from Taurus. They had it for 33 days and sent it back to me with a note saying they "couldn't find anything wrong with it".... I took it out to the range and run another 200 rounds through it both hollow point and round nose. Didn't have any feeding problems and i shot them fairly rapid fire. Only had one failure to fire on the first pull and it did fire on the second pull, could have been a primer problem.

Shot about 30 rounds from the bench using a holder and it still seems to shoot a tad left and low, but i think i can work that out with a little adjustment to the sights. Shooting from a standing 2 handed position fairly rapid fire mostly point shooting the majority of the hits were inside the com circle at 12 yards and the rest were still good hit territory.

Will see how it goes after a few more trips to the range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
James41 said:
I purchased a Taurus 24/7 OSS yesterday and just go back from the firing range. Here are my thoughts about it.

1. I like the way it fits my hand, very comfortable.
2. I certainly like the 12 + 1 capacity of the magazine.
3. Crazy about the price, $499 is great.

Things i don't like so far.

1. The gun shoots low and slightly left. Shooting at 10 yards at a man sized target it fired about 4"'s low and slightly left. This was the results for two different shooters, the other shooter was a policeman who i know shoots very well.

2. This is the first time i have shot a gun with a striker system like it has. Is this a common thing with strikers... shot 200 rounds through the gun and had 5 that did not fire. Even pulling the trigger repeatedly did not fire the round and when ejected there was not a mark one on the primer.

On the whole i like the gun very much, but if this striker thing is common then there is no way i can use this gun as an every day carry defensive weapon. Any comments?

The gun will be going to the gunsmiths Monday to see if there is anything to be done, other wise it will be going back to the dealer.
When you get these guns new, Taurus uses some kind of protectant that just makes EVERYTHING Stick.
You really have to tear the gun apart and CLEAN it and I think that means taking the striker apart.
Then the problem should go away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well i cleaned it good before sending it to them and i guess they cleaned it again before sending it back. I will be cleaning it again today after the trip to the range and i will strip it down completely. We will see what it does on the next couple of range trips, but if i get even one no fire again this gun and Taurus is history for me. At the moment there is no way i will carry this gun as a self defense weapon until i see a history of one thousand rounds with no problems, starting now. Thought about trading it in today at the gun shop for a Glock, but just couldn't bring myself to do it.... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
James41 said:
Well i cleaned it good before sending it to them and i guess they cleaned it again before sending it back. I will be cleaning it again today after the trip to the range and i will strip it down completely. We will see what it does on the next couple of range trips, but if i get even one no fire again this gun and Taurus is history for me. At the moment there is no way i will carry this gun as a self defense weapon until i see a history of one thousand rounds with no problems, starting now. Thought about trading it in today at the gun shop for a Glock, but just couldn't bring myself to do it.... ;)
You should find the instructions and photos on this site for disasebling the STRIKER parts.
Mine had that sticky goop on them that will catch burnt primer and powder like fly paper.
That will SLOW DOWN the striker and firing pin.
It is best to clean it out before you shoot if you have not done so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
I looked at an oss a couple of weeks ago, if I could trade in my 24/7 I'd jump on it. The salesman wasn't too keen on it, I've never seen a sales staff so unenthusiastic about a product that they sell. They are also the angriest people I've met, they're always yelling at each other. Either way, nice gun, liked the 3-dot sights, decocker (the thing I most liked, and longer barrel. Nice gun, I hope you enjoy it. I hope to be enjoying mine again soon when Taurus send me a new recoil spring...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TheBulldog said:
You should find the instructions and photos on this site for disasebling the STRIKER parts.
Mine had that sticky goop on them that will catch burnt primer and powder like fly paper.
That will SLOW DOWN the striker and firing pin.
It is best to clean it out before you shoot if you have not done so.
Hey great i had not seen that yet... looks like i have something to do this evening...(G) Will take it apart and clean the heck out of it so it will be all ready for the next trip out to the range. Thanks for the heads up.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top