Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 24/7 Pro SS 9mm as my first handgun. Prior to this, I had only fired pistols a few times, mostly my brother's XD 40. So I don't have a lot of experience or basis of comparison with other weapons. However, I did handle a few other pistols (Ruger P95, Bersa Thunder 9) before purchasing the 24/7, and there's no question that the Taurus was the best fit for my smallish hands (with the XD a close second).

Before heading out to shoot, I field stripped the pistol and gave it a very thorough cleaning and then a light lube. I did the same with the magazines.

I was very pleased with the performance of my 24/7. With a little help from my friends, I put 120 rounds of 115gr WWB through it without a hiccup.

Shots were fired from around 8 yards. Accuracy was clearly limited by this shooter's ability, but I was happy for my first time out. I was putting 17 rounds into about a 6" pattern, consistently low and left. I have no doubt that once I correct my grip and pull, the pistol will put the shots right where I want them (yes, I am working through Qwiks' assignments on shooting technique ;)).

The only unexpected behavior occurred when one of my partners inserted a loaded magazine with a forceful whack while the slide was locked back, and the slide automatically moved forward and chambered the load. This did not happen happen to me at the range, though I have since been able to reproduce it. I have found that if I deliberately give the magazine a sharp whack as I insert it, the slide will automatically move forward. However, if I insert the magazine with a natural smooth, but firm, push, the slide stays locked back until I release it manually. From what I have read in this and other forums, this behavior is not uncommon with semi-autos, and so does not give me particular cause for concern.

I'm looking forward to putting many more rounds through this firearm as I prepare to qualify for my CHL. So far, I'm a happy camper.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I don't know, but someone will. I would say and not trying to be smart, don't do that ! and it may be normal. I have never hit mine as hard as I feel you mean. Every time I put a mag in either of mine I do give it an extra tap, but nothing hard, but I have never slamed it in. And I want to say that I like to see someone that will read Qwicks home work instead of saying, piece of -------- gun. The 24/7 is a good gun, and the compacts are to, even though they take more practice. You will get there.
Okay I will settle this right now. I went and got my 24/7 .40, locked the slide back and put a loaded mag in it, I did this with several amounts of force, only when I slammed it in what I figured was way to hard, did it do this. But if I was in a shoot out a needed a quick reload good to know all I gotta do is slam it. Maybe that is the way it was built?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Texas Shooter, it sounds like your experience is basically the same as mine: when I load the magazine with the amount of force that feels natural to seat it securely, the slide remains open. It's only when I deliberately whack it with more than normal (for me) force that the slide releases automatically. I only became aware of this behavior because I saw one of my partners do it; I'm not sure I would have ever discovered this on my own.

Flaw or feature? I don't know. Since I have to deliberately insert the magazine very forcefully to cause slide to advance, I don't see this as a big problem. I can see how in an extreme situation it may even be desirable. However, I will warn any others that might shoot this pistol about the possibility, and may suggest that they release the slide before inserting the magazine, and then manually rack the slide to chamber the first round.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I would have never found this out until I read your post and it made me wonder. But I would have never knew that Taurus's won't shoot upside down or in outer space until I read it here.

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
This has been addressed in various other posts here, if you poke around.....there are some that describe this as a feature, but I dont think so. I've narrowed my particular problem down to one specific magazine. I just bought a new mag today, which, by the way, works as it's supposed to - and I'll be sending the third mag back to Taurus for repair. Good news is, that when they send me the repaired/replaced magazine back, I'll have 3 good mags...... :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
The slide closing automatically has happened to me a few times now (around 5 give or take), after about 400 rounds. Sometimes because I give the mag a good push, and sometimes because I manually locked the slide back and didn't push the lever up all the way, so it was easier for it to close.

I haven't been able to make it consistently close when I insert the mag so I don't depend on it, I just stay ready so I'm not suprised if it does.

For what it's worth my brother's XD has also done this once in about 400 rounds.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The force it took mine to do this is way past normal, and harder than I would ever do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts