Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading threads here trying to become informed. I plan on buying a 24/7 Pro DS chambered in .40 this weekend if my permit finally shows up in my recently buried in snow mailbox. I love the look and feel of the stainless version with the 15 round magazine and the 4 inch barrel.

This will be my first handgun. I'm concerned about all of the 24/7's problems I've read. I've lost a bit of confidence after all the reading. I do not want an unreliable gun.

Tell me this model/version is going to be reliable, please! I'm not so concerned with fluffy features. I just want a solid reliable gun that fires each time I want it to. Is this the gun for me?

I'm happy to keep shopping if I need to.

I appreciate all of the info I've read on this forum. After surfing all over the net, I landed here. I will definitely keep you posted on my upcoming purchase. Thank you.
JT

Administrator
Re: First Post, soon first handgun

I don't personally own one of these yet, but judging by the popularity of this model, I'd say it's reliable. I have friends that do own one, and they swear by them, and having shot them, they are nice. They're also a big seller at my favorite hangout/gun shop.
Don't worry about problems you'll probably never have.

Registered

Welcome to the forum! There are some very helpful people on here that know a lot about Taurus guns.

I own a 24/7 Pro DS 9mm stainless which I bought about 2 weeks ago. I cleaned it good when I bought it and took it to the range to try it out. I shot a box of 50 rounds and it functioned perfectly. I am completely confident and happy with this gun. Some people may experience problems with it, but I have read on the Smith and Wesson forum that people were having to return some of their guns for repair work. My point is that every make of guns can have problems.

Administrator

I've had excellent reliability with the two 24/7 Pros I've owned. And you don't see very many complaints about these guns anymore, I think they have gotten it right.

Welcome to the forum !

Registered
Discussion Starter #5

I spoke to the sporting goods store this morning, and they boast a 30 return policy if for any reason I am unsatisfied. That gives me a little peace of mind, but I'd still like to avoid hassles.
I'm brand new to this so I was hoping to get started without spending an arm and a leg. I started shopping for other brands, but a knowledgeable and experienced friend steered me toward Taurus. I probably shouldn't worry so much. Any comments and thoughts are very much appreciated.
Waiting on the mail for my permit is pure torture!
JT

Registered

I got my first Taurus for Christmas recently. All I can say is, ALL the negative reviews from hear-sayers was put to rest after my first trip to the range. I've put approximately 500 rounds through it since, slow while sighting a laser and rapid fire on close targets. Couldn't be happier! My wife loves it (wanted a G21 until shooting mine) and my 12 daughter loves it!!! If by chance you do have any problems, Taurus should stand behind their product as promised. All negative things I've read were pretty minor fixes or adjustments...and perhaps user-error. Shoot it...shoot it some more...
I'm nothing but pleased with my 24/7, albiet the OSS DS model in .45.

Registered

Have you checked out all the videos and reviews available on you tube. That always helps me. I've checked out a couple for your gun and frankly, I'm pretty impressed with it so far.

Registered

;D

First off, welcome to the forum!
Actually I see very, very, very few complaints on the 24/7 series myself.
IF you take a look at the total number of units that are sold of this model and the number of complaints against it i think it will be extremely low.
another feature that one should think about , as in your own statement, being new and not wanting to spend an arm and leg for a gun!
there are a lot of newbies to the gun market that go to Taurus due to the price, and simply new shooters are simply going to experience more problems than experienced shooters with the same weapon.
the weapon only does about 40% of the work , the shooter is responsible for the other 60% .
I own three 24/7's and each one has been flawless so far, hope you have the same experience with yours.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #9

Well I sure appreciate your testimonials! I've made up my mind to get this firearm. I have a couple questions.

Even though I've read numerous threads in this forum, I'm still confused about the "DS" designation. Does "DS" refer to the double/single action?

Also for my initial cleaning, I'm planning on using polymer-safe gun scrubber that I read about on the forum. Is it necessary to clean the entire lower frame and trigger mechanism or just the parts in the slide? Sorry for my dumb questions. I want to do this right. I've owned and cleaned various semi auto and bolt action rifles and shotguns for years. Any tips are welcome. Thanks again for all of your input.

I just checked the mail. No permit. I'm hoping tomorrow. I called yesterday and they said it was mailed out. Patience is not one of my strengths.

Registered

D/S = Decocker safety.
I suggest that you thoroughly spray the entire guts (inside) of the weapon with the gunscrubber, paying attention to the trigger group, the firing pin channel.
the gunscrubber will clean areas that you can not reach or see.
then dry the weapon, clean with hoppes #9 (or other gun cleaning liquid) then after dry apply a generous amount of breakfree (clp) to the weapon as a lubricant, you do not want the gun driping lubrication but a bit wet the first 300 or so rounds seems to help a bit with break in and as matching surfaces seat.
the barrel of course should be cleaned as in your rifle and shotguns.
FYI- the 24/7 Pro D/S is a single action/ double action weapon, which means it is in single action basically all the time, but can/will revert to double action should a misfire occur or if it is decocked.
hope this helps a bit.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11

olfarhors said:
D/S = Decocker safety.
I suggest that you thoroughly spray the entire guts (inside) of the weapon with the gunscrubber, paying attention to the trigger group, the firing pin channel.
the gunscrubber will clean areas that you can not reach or see.
then dry the weapon, clean with hoppes #9 (or other gun cleaning liquid) then after dry apply a generous amount of breakfree (clp) to the weapon as a lubricant, you do not want the gun driping lubrication but a bit wet the first 300 or so rounds seems to help a bit with break in and as matching surfaces seat.
the barrel of course should be cleaned as in your rifle and shotguns.
FYI- the 24/7 Pro D/S is a single action/ double action weapon, which means it is in single action basically all the time, but can/will revert to double action should a misfire occur or if it is decocked.
hope this helps a bit.
That helps tremendously! The government has shined it's light upon me. I just got my permit in the mail and I'm going shopping. This is a great day! For the life of me, I don't know why I waited so long. I'll post pics after I clean Brazilian cosmoline as you've described. Yes!

Administrator

jted said:
That helps tremendously! The government has shined it's light upon me. I just got my permit in the mail and I'm going shopping. This is a great day! For the life of me, I don't know why I waited so long. I'll post pics after I clean Brazilian cosmoline as you've described. Yes!

I wish you'd get excited about something this important. :p :D

Registered

Welcome to the forum, bought mine in 2005 no problems until 4/2010 broken extractor, but I blame the ammo for that, goes bang all the time

Registered
Discussion Starter #14

texastaurusguy鈩 said:
I wish you'd get excited about something this important. :p :D
I suppose it's not proper for a grown man to carry on in such a manner. I have a 17 year old boy to scrape off the ceiling too. Tomorrow is going to be a good day! The gun looks great! Just like you all said, it's pretty thick with sticky grease under the hood. I will most certainly post photos ASAP to make things TA official. Thanks for the help!

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Well i cleaned the goose grease out of it. I hope I did a thorough enough job. I'll attempt to insert a photo. I'll get some better ones tomorrow in the daylight.

Registered
what i found tonight is once youve cleaned it - clean it a little more. mine was delivered in the plastic bag and there was enough grease packed in there to jam after about 4-6 rounds were first fired through it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
JeffD said:
what i found tonight is once youve cleaned it - clean it a little more. mine was delivered in the plastic bag and there was enough grease packed in there to jam after about 4-6 rounds were first fired through it.
Roger that. I'll clean it again tomorrow before I head to the range. I sprayed gun scrubber (synthetic safe) in every nook and cranny in the slide, the frame and trigger group, then took after it with #9 and a brush in the barrel. I gave it a dowsing with break free CLP as advised in a few posts. It seems pretty clean, but I'll do it again for good measure

Member Emeritus 1946-2018
CONGRATULATIONS on your purchase of the 24/7 PRO DS .40!

I can almost guarantee you that you'll not have a moment's trouble with that beauty.

I have the 24/7 OSS and the 24/7 Pro C DS (both in .45) and they have been flawless from the day I first fired them.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
MilProGuy said:
CONGRATULATIONS on your purchase of the 24/7 PRO DS .40!

I can almost guarantee you that you'll not have a moment's trouble with that beauty.

I have the 24/7 OSS and the 24/7 Pro C DS (both in .45) and they have been flawless from the day I first fired them.

Thanks MilPro!! This has been a big day. I've been looking to do this for a long time and it feels good. I'm really looking forward to working on my proficiency. Gonna take some training with my son. We've found shooting to be a great way to spend time together. Our state just opened the grip slightly on carry permits. I'm getting one while the getting is good. Don't know if I'll actually carry, but I want the option.

Member Emeritus 1946-2018
Man, do I enjoy reading a happy Taurus guy's post about his new pistol.

If you end up conceal carrying, you may want to consider the ITAC paddle holster. All three sizes of the 24/7 rides nicely in it.

24/7 OSS
24/7 Pro C DS

1 - 20 of 24 Posts