Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 454 Raging Bull (with 8 3/8" barrel) from a gun show about 2 weeks ago, and I have been ITCHING to fire it. I finally had the chance yesterday, and it was amazing. All the videos and postings do not do this gun justice, the kick back was not nearly what I had expected with the 454 rounds, and the 45lc rounds were MORE then managable. Unfortuantly the range director came up to me and told me not to shoot the 454s any more, and I gave everyone a reason to turn their head.

First Handgun Owned
First Revolver Owned
First Taurus Owned/Fired

I am very happy about this! I just wanted to share my love.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
pretty awesome :) Now all you need is a nice snubby to round things out!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whalerick said:
pretty awesome :) Now all you need is a nice snubby to round things out!
I don't know about that... but i am considering a Judge for carry. Its kind of like a snub in comparison.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
funesd said:
I don't know about that... but i am considering a Judge for carry. Its kind of like a snub in comparison.
there you go :) Hey, at least it'll fit in your pocket/holster/wherever you carry. That's a whole 'nother ball of wax tho--youll get a lot of feedback here about that. Welcome to the forum, by the way, this is a nice place!!

:thumb:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

I guess I could just carry this guy, but its a little inpractacle

·
Registered
160 Posts
very sweet.....I don't know a whole lot about the 454 rounds what is it about the round that they made you quit firing them?

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Wow, first handgun is a .454? You need a .22, bad. :D

Great gun in a great caliber, just a little expensive to learn and practice with.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
yeah why did he make you stop? he not man enough to handle the sound of it?

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Probably too much power for the bullet trap system in that range, my guess.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NativeTexan said:
Probably too much power for the bullet trap system in that range, my guess.
yep they said its too powerfull a round, the range was too short for that round, they suggested somewhere else to go.

The power of the round plus the compensated barrel made for quite the noise! And yea, a .22 would certainly make practice much more fun and inexpensive

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
I ALWAYS shoot one or two of my .22s every range trip. In fact, they get the most shots fired by far, even though I handload and cast. I love an accurate .22, just so much fun. My two favorites are my little Rossi 511 revolver and my Ruger Mk2 autoloader.

I don't have anything bigger than a .45 Colt Blackhawk unless you figure my .30-30 Contender. It's got a compensated 12" barrel and 2x scope, a real deer slayer. I've yet to take a hog with it, but it's up to the job.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw a video of someone taking a hog (supposedly) with the 454, I've never gone hunting, but i guess im prepaired now.

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
A 454 Casull will do a hog, a BIG one, easily. Hell, it will take down any bear on the continent, with a well placed shot. Much more efficiently than a 44 magnum......and that round has taken lots of bear.

·
Premium Member
10,960 Posts
If you're going to shoot at an indoor range, you should be able to shoot 45 Colts in your 454 Casul. Less recoil, and it won't go through the wall.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CJS3 said:
If you're going to shoot at an indoor range, you should be able to shoot 45 Colts in your 454 Casul. Less recoil, and it won't go through the wall.
yea, i switched over to 45lc, I had more of them and they cost less.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts