Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was embarrassing my son with some of my questions yesterday when he took me to the gun store :D so I thought I'd spare him further humiliation and ask some my questions here. :) I am getting a PT92 for my birthday today. It is my first handgun and this is my first post here. Here are my questions, if you guys can be super patient with a newbie.
  • This gun seems to fit my needs perfectly. By what are the reasons why someone might choose to spend more for the Baretta over this one?
  • How is the best way to store this? What kind of bag or box or holster, for example? What safety or safeties should I engage when I have it at home?
  • I live in GA and don't plan on getting a carry permit. What are my limitations in taking my gun somewhere? Does it have to be unloaded or locked or something during transport, for example?
  • What kinds of accessories do you guys recommend that I check into or avoid?
  • I know that there are remanufactured and/or reloaded cartridges out there that might be appropriate for the gun range. What is your advice on these? If it is OK to use, are there any recommended sources for this?
  • I assume it is best to clean the gun after every trip to the range. But what about between trips if it has been unused for a while?

·
Registered
29,971 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine" state.:icon_ lala:

1. Some folks are brand bandits (Gucci, BMW, Rolex) and would rather spend the extra $$ for what they think is prestige. Me, I prefer to save the money. Taurus PT-92's are built in what was a Beretta factory on Beretta machinery with a more ergonomic frame mounted decocking safety.
2. How to store it depends on whether or not you have children or other folks who should be kept away from firearms living with you.
3. Go to the horse's mouth - Check with your local state's attorney or the state of Georgia website to get the do's & don't's of firearms ownership there.
4. Personaly I feel the PT-92 is fine "as is" and would not waste my money on bottler openers, kick stands, lasers or any other add on do dads (but then I'm a practical old fart).
5. The 92 series of handguns are not as ammo sensitive as some semiautos and will goble up anything you can cram into it's magazine. I buy the cheapest bulk packed commerical ammo for practice, and any premium brand of JHP's for defensive purposes (there are no magic bullets, they all work).
6. The Glock series of pistols is about the only brand that can take more abuse and misuse than the 92 series. But it is a good idea to clean it after every range session, and wipe it down about once a week and you'll be good to go. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
You purchased a fine gun!! In fact, I want one badly. And welcome!! From the HUGE, state of Rhode Island...

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
According to a web page entitled Unsung Best Buy: A Critical Look at the Taurus PT-92, the Beretta has a chromed bore and a fancier finish, and probably appeals to brand snobs, as Moondawg says.

Here's a page on Georgia weapons laws from GeorgiaPacking.org. Of course, you should read the actual statutes.

Except for welcoming you to the forum, that's about all I can add to Moondawg's good advice.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a page on Georgia weapons laws from GeorgiaPacking.org. Of course, you should read the actual statutes.
Thanks. I asked here because trying to get through all the legal jargon is difficult for me. But I do think I finally found the relevant part. "If you are not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm you may carry a handgun provided it is unloaded and enclosed inside a case (There is nothing that defines exactly what unloaded means, to be on the safe side you should assume it means no loaded magazine inserted into the gun). I guess since they send you home with the thing in a cardboard box, "case" is a bit of a relative term. LOL

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can also check handgunlaws.us for reciprocity and laws in every state that you'll be travelling to. I'm glad we don't have that much problems in AZ. Constitutional carry is welcome here but I will always retain my CCW. Easier to buy more guns and don't have to wait for the Background checks. I see a gun I like, I fill up 4473, I pay, get change is any then walk out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Technically, since it is a gift, my wife paid for it and my son purchased it and it was given to me. So no paper trail with my name on it. I would be interested in exploring a carry permit though. It's primarily for home protection and range fun, but one never knows...

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Happy birthday and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your choice of a great firearm.
1) I went with the PT-92 because I prefer the frame mounted safety/decocker. Beretta uses polymer triggers, safeties, and guide rods. Taurus uses metal.
2) For storage. A gun safe.
3) This link might help. Georgia Gun Laws in Plain English on GeorgiaPacking.org
4) Accessories? I change out the factory grips for Hogue rubber grips. The factory grips are ok, but I love the Hogue grips.
5) I shoot Federal Champion 115 grain FMJ rounds from Wal-Mart, and have never had one problem with them.
6) Before shooting a new Taurus you need to field strip and clean it, thoroughly. Then field strip and clean after every range trip.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Thanks. I asked here because trying to get through all the legal jargon is difficult for me. But I do think I finally found the relevant part. "If you are not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm you may carry a handgun provided it is unloaded and enclosed inside a case (There is nothing that defines exactly what unloaded means, to be on the safe side you should assume it means no loaded magazine inserted into the gun).I guess since they send you home with the thing in a cardboard box, "case" is a bit of a relative term. LOL
I think you can carry a loaded pistol in your car without a license. I focused on:

If you are not prohibited by law from possessing (see the definition under the "Possession" section at the top of this page) a firearm you may carry a weapon on your own property and in your own home, motor vehicle and place of business without needing a valid weapons carry license. (including the property that the business is located on IF the property is owned by the business owner). You do not have to have permission from the business owner in order to be exempt from carrying a concealed weapon without a license at your place of business (however that does NOT mean you cannot be fired for carrying without permission. If you cross any property in transit between your property, car or office then you would be in violation of the law.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I've owned both the Beretta 92 and the Taurus PT92 which I still have. Now I carried the Beretta as it was issued for 4 years and a great gun however I like the PT 92 better in that they made some smart changes that I like. Fit and finish on mine is excellent however the Beretta has a bit better finish but fit is equal at least in my case. The main change is the Taurus as compared to the Beretta that I had in the 80's has a decocker with the safety where it should be, smoother trigger at least on mine and has held up well after about 20K rounds. I might add both where tack drivers and shoot the same regardless. Many of the parts are also interchangeable.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You should look into the carry license. It is extremely easy to get. Just go down to your local courthouse fill out a couple of pieces of paper, get your fingerprints taken and after a background check they send it to you in the mail.

·
Registered
192 Posts

1) ...
2) Almost all new Taurus Handgun equipped with Security System! I just bought a Plano box, of course a gun safe is the best.
3) Try also the wiki and click the OCGA link.
4) Bought mine a Small Laser and a Wood Grip from Taurus, looking forward for more...
5) 115gr for range and for me, I am not going to use higher than 124gr for my beloved PT92...
6) Just clean the gun from Packing Grease, don't use any Scrubber or Grease remover, any CLP is fine.

And if you already bought the gun, goto Taurus website for warranty form and download the NRA registration form, either for NRA new registration or renewal, it's free so no payment needed.
If you have the warranty coupon from your box, sent it by mail together with the NRA registration.

Happy Birthday!

and

Welcome to TaurusArmed Forum!
-from Tallahassee, FL

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I asked a friend with a carry permit and they said it now costs $75. That's crazy! I think I would rather pay that towards some cleaning supplies and ammo.

I have a question about the different safety mechanisms. Is it possible to combine them, and is there any reason to do so?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Welcome to the forum stick around and chat with us. As far as your questions MoonDawg said it best, all I can add is that I call mine Special Favorite and here she is. Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I know "cheap" and "expensive" are pretty relative terms. On my disability income, just the gun was a huge expense. But with the current Obamageddon scare tactics, I wanted to get a gun while I still could. And considering it came out of my tax return, there was a certain amount of satisfaction in thinking that he was paying for part of it. :)

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Welcome from New Mexico, glad to have you. This is one nice B-day present.

The PT92/99s are a truly solid gun. I changed the grips on my PT99 to Pachmyer grips back in 1990 and have never looked back. I clean gun is a good gun but it will take a lot of shooting to impact this ones performance.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts

5) 115gr for range and for me, I am not going to use higher than 124gr for my beloved PT92...
While I feel that the 9mm 124 grain bullet is the best balance of velocity and Bullet weight, the PT92 will handle the 147 grain Bullets really well, unlike some other 9mm Pistols.
I've put a couple of thousand 147 grain Bullets thru my PT92, without issue. I would not hesitate to use 147 grain JHP's in my PT92, should I feel that is called for. Great in Cold Winter for extra penetration!
Conversely, I've also used some small amount of the tiny 88 to 100 grain 9mm Bullets too, with very good results.
The PT92 design will handle any standard 9mm Bullet weight and even some non-standard 9mm Bullet weights, with out issue.
It's not ammunition sensitive, provided the ammunition used, is of good quality.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Another dumb question, but is there a direct correlation between grains and cost? Is it always cheaper to go with low grain?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts