Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At a recent gun show, I came across what I thought was a S&W Model 10. But it turns out, it was a Taurus Model 80. It already had my juices flowing, although I didn't know anything at all about the Taurus 80. It was in at least 97% condition, blued with walnut grips. I whittled the price by $25, and bought it (with ugly box) for $350. Yeah, too much $$$ for a M-80, but I didn't have a revolver like this, and brought it home.

At the range yesterday, it was shooting about 5" low, using Magtec ball ammo. I was disappointed, since the 80 does not have adjustable sights. But when I ran out of Magtec and switched to a 1/2 box of old Remington Match wad cutters, the 80 started shooting to my point of aim. Perfect windage.

The workmanship on this pistol is nice. And it STILL only has the lightest of turn rings.

Now I'm anxious to test it (next range visit) with a variety of ammo, to see what works and what doesn't.

Any one here have a Model 80? Similar experience, perhaps?

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Congratulations on your new to you Model 80. I would say most all firearms are sensitive to the ammo. You're on the right track, just try a bit of everything and see what works best.

Reactions: gbusmech

·
Super Moderator
17,716 Posts
Fixed sight .38's usually are regulated to shoot to point of aim with a 158 gr. bullet in a standard velocity load. I'd try that first. Lighter bullets and hotter loads will tend to shoot low.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Congratulations on your new to you Model 80. I would say most all firearms are sensitive to the ammo. You're on the right track, just try a bit of everything and see what works best.

Yup, what he said....

Reactions: Panda

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
Congratulations on the new to you revolver.

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Congrats on your new tool..

·
Registered
24,615 Posts
Congrats on your new to you Model 80.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Normandy, several years ago a GS purchase of a Taurus Model 80 started me into collecting early model Taurus Revolvers. You didn't describe your Model 80 enough to allow for a production year guess. The very early Models (80, 82, 65, 66, 84) had some unique outside cosmetics to attract buyers of that time period (1970). These models didn't last long before Taurus dropped the 'cosmetics' from the production process. These six-guns are starting to 'rise-in-cost' here but still can be purchased at a good price, like yours. That is not too high a price for a Model 80 in the condition you described. Thanks so much for sharing.

David

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
TA has had some posting and photos of the model 80 from our friends. You can do a search and see what it brings up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts