Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I have spent hours on this site learning as much as I could before I decided to buy my new 24/7 Pro in 9mm. Thank you for making this such an informative site. This site is a great resource for those of us looking to buy a Taurus.

I have been wanting to take my new gun to the range to try it out but I have not cleaned it for the first time to remove all the grease that Taurus uses. I own 2 Glocks and when I clean them, I use brake cleaner inside and out; on the slide and the polymer frame. I want to get a degreaser designed for guns to use on the Taurus, but I am concerned about the rubber grip. If I spray polymer safe degreaser on the rubber grip, will it hurt the rubber grip? So my questions I have today are:

1. What do you all use to clean the polymer frame?, and

2. Should I be concerned about the rubber grip when I am cleaning the gun? Should I be careful not to get degreaser on the rubber grip or will it be OK to spay it down like I do my Glocks?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I currently use a gun solvent when cleaning my gun, it works ok but I'll probably switch to break free. I'm not sure if it's polymer safe or not. A good rule of thumb is to try not to get cleaner on the polymer, but we all know it is next to impossible. When I clean, any cleaner that gets on the outside of the polymer I wipe off immediately. When I spray the frame with cleaner, I hold the gun kind of upside down, so that the excess runs down the slide rails and drips off and does not run down into the inside. I'd be more concerned about the rubber grips than the frame itself. I'd hate for those things to get brittle and crack off.

If anybody has anymore suggestions or methods, chime in. I'd also like to hear how people clean and care for their polymer frames.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I don't know about the cleaning, Kenh, but welcome to Taurus Armed from VEGAS!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I use the synthetic safe gun scrubber, and hoppes #9 solvent. Scrub the metal parts with hoppes to get off powder residue, then I spray it clean with the gun scrubber. Haven't had a problem yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the responses and thank you for the welcome.

I found Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber at Cabela's. It is suppose to be safe on polymer and rubber, but I think I will still do my best not to get any on the rubber grip.

I should be out at the range this weekend and I will give you all a range report. If the gun shoots as well as it feels in my hand, I will be very happy.

·
Administrator
17,825 Posts
Been spraying the frame with a generic Windex, rinsing with water, and drying with a Hair-Dryer (no heat setting), then lubricating. Looking for a better way, but this works, so far.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am positive that the manufacture considered people would be using various types of cleaning solvents on their pistols. If there were a common pistol cleaning solvent that they felt should be avoided they would say so on the manual. Otherwise they will be responsible for replacing the part... lifetime warranty.

·
Super Moderator
21,544 Posts
I use Break Free great product, but they have dunk bukets that you just put your whole gun in for a few hours and remove blow off excses with air and wip dry. I think its called Polydunk kit for polymer guns.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use the birchwood casy synthetic gun scrubber, then lube it normally. The first time I used the gun scrubber I had left the hogue handall on the grip of my sigma, and thought it was going to damage it. all it did was make it slip off real easy, wiped it dry and squeezed it back on. no damage. The scrubber really cleans those hard to reach spots that a q-tip can't reach.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use Hoppes #9 for the barrel, Simple Green for everything else. Soak in Simple Green, rinse with warm water, use canned compressed air used on PC's, then a hot water rinse so everything air dries quickly. Lube sparingly.

·
Registered
846 Posts
If you want something in a spray use the birchwood casey syn. safe formula in the silver top can. It will not hurt any of the gun and will blast out the all the stuff in your slide etc. Or get you some compressed air and a filter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts