Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally did it. I have had my Lee pro 1000 partially set up for a few weeks. I deprimed and sized about 2100 pieces of brass, with most being military. Over the weekend, I set up the powder dispenser and practiced throwing charges and weighing them. I am using Ram shot Tac and CCI primers. I decided on using a single disk with the 1.57 hole which averaged around a 23 grain charge. It would sometimes go up or down most .5 grains which I'm not thrilled about, so that's why I kept it low. The range for Tax I found was 22.5-25grains. I loaded up 100 primers in the tray and started working. It was slow and almost painful with the number of primer seating issues. I probably dumped 5-6 charges when the primer didn't seat and I didn't catch it. It would have gone faster using a hand primer and a powder drop and funnel most likely and would have been less messy. I ended up with 88 rounds that I weighed and measured the length on, 2 that the bullet seated wasn't adjusted correctly and the bullet is way deep, and 2 that didn't get charged before seating the bullet. The last 8 primers were casualties. I guess that isn't terrible for a first run. Of course many said a lee progressive wasn't the best choice for a beginner and they are correct. But I tried anyway. I do have a shell plate for 45 coming.g soon, so hopefully loading pistol rounds will go a bit smoother. I don't have a chrono yet, so I am just looking for plinking grade ammo right now at short distances.

This makes up for the ammo I shot up last week testing my ar pistol.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Congrats! Let us know how they shoot! Also, about the Lee 1000, do some reading about your issues. That press can be a very very finicky press and a lot of people have issues, but lots have figured out the ins and outs and how to fix most issues with it.

·
Administrator
18,180 Posts
Congratulations! :cool: Look forward to reading how they shoot in your Rifle.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Good show! Just getting back into it myself after a 20 year hiatus. Got a lot of relearning to do. Especially since I went with a turret press this time instead of the old rock chucker.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Sweet! Keep us updated.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ran some of my first batch today. I just shot 20 that were 55g fmj over 22.5gr of Ramshot Tac with CCI small rifle primer. I didn't shoot for groups at a target, but rather some bowling pins. I hit every pin on every shot at 25 yards with my new AR pistol. I didn't get to shoot many more since we were short on time and my buddy brought his Savage 338 Lapua Magnum with some loads me made using a new powder.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Nice, I have not started loading .223/5.56 yet. Were the primer seating issues caused by crimps on the military brass?

·
Registered
26 Posts
For primer alignment on the pro 1000. Make sure you only adjust the screw so it turns the shell plate in the direction of rotation. If you go too far adjusting it. Back it off extra and start over. When you get close make small adjustments. Next watch for spilled powder. The Lee Auto does drop some powder as it slides back and forth. Every 100 rounds or 200 need to check the primer area for powder spillage. Powder will fall off the shell plate as it goes around, and goes down into the primer pin area. You didn't say what the actual problem with the primers were with the last 8. But did you cut or swage out the crimps from the Nato brass? If you did, and you had feeding problems with the last 8 primers. Next time when the primers get low (you can see the last one in the primer trough. Put an allen wrench, or similar item in the trough above the last primer. Adding weight to the last few primers helps them slide down into the primer pin area. Their own weight is not enough! Or just put more primers than you need in the tray (like 110-115). The issue is nothing is pushing the last few down. And the bottom of the trough levels out. So they need some weight to help them. I had fits when I first got the pro 1000 and doing .223 (bought it set up for .223). Right not its humming along making .223. The only issue I have is brass falling over from the brass feeder. About every 4th on average tips over. I have tried slightly lower, slightly higher. I was thinking about adding something to the top of the brass slider to raise the area that actually pushes the case. I have a technique down that I catch the brass before it actually falls over. So it only slows me down slightly. I do have a Dillon 650 that I do 6 different pistol loads with. Too hard to get any .223 items for it. So I bought the Lee. Nearly thought I wasted $200. But now I am glad I bought it. Yes needs tweeking. But in my opinion, well worth it for the price. I found my Lee Pro Auto Disc measure was within .1 to .2 grains in accuracy using IMR 4895 as powder. I am using a double stack to achieve 23.6 grains of it. That is right about in the middle in terms of load. So if it throws .2 extra, I am definitely safe.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The main problem with the primers I think was there was spilled powder in the primer seating area. Apparently a primer wouldn't slide down and I didn't check it before I lowered the handle again and dump 23gr through the flash hole. The primers I lost went in sideways and smashed up. I finally pulled it all apart and cleaned it really well. I would go slow and with each pull, check the primer, and weigh the charged case. It was slow, but I didn't spill anymore powder. The cases I have done so far were commercial cases I fired myself. I haven't swaged any primer pockets yet on my butt load of military brass, but I need to get started on them. I primed one case to see if the primer would seat and it did, so I don't know if they all need to be swaged or not. I probably should before I waste primers just trying them.

I have the same thing with case falling over as well. Somewhat frustrating, especially when I see videos on you tube of guys just zinging away on one of these. It seems like as the case hits the metal arm in front of the slider, the next case lands on the one moving.g into the slot and tips it over.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts